• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking back control!

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
We have an open border policy in our house, but the problem is our floor is made of lava (aka laminate) and our bunnies will only hop between safe islands (aka rugs).

I want to reduce the number of islands in my house, as they're just downright messy looking and a faff to clean around. The problem is we have an impasse - I don't want to replace the laminate, because that's wasteful, but the rabbits hate it. Am I wishful thinking here, or is there a solution that could keep us all happy?

Photo of the mess - excuse the lack of hoovering, I keep putting it off because it's such a faff!
fb908ad2cba913bc3bdcb1ee6534ad6e.jpg

Fraid no ideas here. We have tiles rather than laminate but it's also very much hated by the buns.

We have stepping stone rugs now although did used to have carpet tiles that I could just pick up and brush off outside. They were much easier.

Rodney started eating those though so rugs it is for now.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Fraid no ideas here. We have tiles rather than laminate but it's also very much hated by the buns.

We have stepping stone rugs now although did used to have carpet tiles that I could just pick up and brush off outside. They were much easier.

Rodney started eating those though so rugs it is for now.

Actually, some little 300x300 carpet squares might work quite well - it would look a lot less haphazard and coordinated.

We're taking up the carpet in the bunny room to put down matting this weekend, so I'll cut off some bits from the old carpet to try. They've ruined it, so it needs binning anyway, I don't have much to lose by trying.

I'm oh so fed up of feeling embarrassed to open my front door is all :lol:

Actually, some little 300x300 carpet squares might work quite well - it would look a lot less haphazard and coordinated.

We're taking up the carpet in the bunny room to put down matting this weekend, so I'll cut off some bits from the old carpet to try. They've ruined it, so it needs binning anyway, I don't have much to lose by trying.

I'm oh so fed up of feeling embarrassed to open my front door is all [emoji38]
I know that feeling [emoji16]

I now just prepare visitors that there will be a lot of hay and if they're not keen we can go out for coffee.

Only one set of friends comments anymore and I've just stopped having them round. Every so often I get a but doesn't it bother you question from them.

And it does bother me a bit but happy bunnies make me happy and my two love scattering their hay.

One of the benefits of lockdown is the legitimate lack of visitors to be embarrassed by the flooring. I suspect most people don't notice after the first glance. If they do comment, tough - your house, your rules.

I sanded down the top of my two overshiny wooden stools with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper and now they're condsidered safe by the bunnies. Perhaps an option? Might look awful but might be easier to grip and easier to clean than the current situation...?

Haven't fully read, but ikea do carpet pieces you can put together to fit spaces just lay them next to each other and they look like on thing. We just have one rug from there in the living room, very easy to hoover hay off it [emoji38][emoji38] it doesn't get like sucked up by the hoover like the bloody bath mats do [emoji849]

I know that feeling [emoji16]

I now just prepare visitors that there will be a lot of hay and if they're not keen we can go out for coffee.

Only one set of friends comments anymore and I've just stopped having them round. Every so often I get a but doesn't it bother you question from them.

And it does bother me a bit but happy bunnies make me happy and my two love scattering their hay.

:lol: no one ever really pops round unannounced for a coffee, so we always have time to panic clean! It's the kids that call by to ask for their ball back, or the postman I feel embarrassed about. The photo is right inside the front door. IKEA chair is there temporarily.

I sanded down the top of my two overshiny wooden stools with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper and now they're condsidered safe by the bunnies. Perhaps an option? Might look awful but might be easier to grip and easier to clean than the current situation...?

I dunno if our laminate would tolerate that - it's already quite textured for laminate as well, they're just fussy buns :lol:

We discussed that we might want to move again in a couple of years too, so I don't want to do anything too drastic/costly to fix.

It is tough to walk on some flooring with fuzzy feet! Too bad we could not put non-skid slipper socks on our bunnies!:love:
Carpet tiles, or larger rugs with bound edges, yet some chew.

I thought I'd quickly update this one. We replaced the bunny carpet with matting and I've chopped off some bits of the carpet now to replace the mess of rugs. I like it, it's random but a lot less messy looking. It'll be really easy to lift if we have guests.

I've stuck some excess anti-slip stuff on the underside so they stay put.

Thanks for the tips :)
67c70232fcb017b2cc08b81ddc26777e.jpg
be2308b35760e3c2b918a64a5ad076a8.jpg

Back