• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Super Sick to Super Hormonal In 2 days! Thoughts?

Jinny

Young Bun
I have a 12yr old (turns 13 in April 2015), un-neutered, Netherland Dwarf Male, who is my light of my life.

BACKGROUND:
He has been super sick - to the point where I thought he was going to die on Thursday, in the small hours. He had gut stasis, and I've never seen anything like it. He was 3 times his size, in a lot of pain, and so bloated, when I found him, that I could see his intestines through his skin, and his lower ribs were spread a little. With advice from the out of hours vet - who's said there was really no time to get to him, I gave meds that I already had at home, thanks to the previous months worth of vets trips, and Windeze Tablets that I always keep, so I can give half a tablet, ground up with a bit of water, to Littleblack when he gets bloat. The vet said to settle him quietly after and see how it goes. I asked if I should very softly and gently massage his tummy, while he was standing on all four paws. The vet said that there was little hope with his current condition, and I should prepare myself, but there would be no harm at this stage, as long as I was very very gentle to avoid ruptures.

I got to work immediately. I spent the next 3 hours continually massaging his guts, and talking calmly to him, and keeping him warm as I worked. As his guts started moving it was like watching a living creature inside of him - it was horrible, but he was getting better, and slowly deflating. I didn't stop until I saw the first droppings, and he stopped grinding his teeth in pain.

He went very cold at about 5:30am, but his guts had improved, and so I pulled him into bed with me, and huffed hot air into his fur from my mouth. I last saw the time it was 5:40am, and woke up to a thorough face washing....from his tongue, and him gripping my eyelashes in his teeth and pulling my eyelids open, and teeth purrs. He'd turned the corner. I re-gave meds as instructed, and a small liquid feed, lots of fluids, and massaged his tummy again for a while. It felt normal again. After 12 hours of almost solid work, he was perkier and bright, and I felt it would be ok to put him in a freshly hayed up cage, and get a couple hours sleep. I put him in, and he sprawled out comfortably, and nibbled a blade of hay.

Since then, he has made masses of improvements. He has been having issues since December 21st 2014. Including diarrhea and a persistent bladder/urine infection, lots of weight loss, and a lump development that has been tested, and come back as Lymphoma of the hair follicles, but non-aggressive, so even though it's a form of Cancer, we are leaving it be for now, as Littleblack won't make it off the table in his current state and age. But for the first time since December, we have normal droppings, and a dry bottom, and his infections seem to be clearing rapidly, and he is playing A LOT, and beginning to show interest in eating and drinking on his own.......It's fantastic! ..... but now we have a new issue!

NEW 'PROBLEM':

Since he was at death's door, he seems to be even more in love with me than before. He is super clingy, and ultra protective. If I watch anything on TV with things he perceives a threat, or if my Brother or Dad or Mum, enters the room, he goes into full gladiator warrior mode! He is reacting to them, like he did in the first few weeks he was here, when he trusted no-one but me. BUT this time, he does 'stand-down' when I tell him, and comes back to me and checks me over, before taking up a guard post on my lap, while warning grunting at them, and occasionally thumping at them with a back leg - which really hurts! Lol. However, I have been turning off the TV, for the last 2 days, because I don't want him that hyped up. The other times, he is bouncing about the bed next to me, picking up things and tossing them about, and binky-ing about too. And now this new issue, that I am a little concerned about..... his hormones are up!

He never humped me before - well maybe once, when he turned about 2 years old - but he never showed any signs at all beyond that. He couldn't be neutered as he had so many issues when we first rescued him, and he was an indoor bunny with no females here, so the vet said not to, so we didn't. Anyway - now, he is trying to hump me. It caught me unawares yesterday, as he was fine, and then 3 hours later, this started.... so now I have 6 holes in my sleeve, where he gripped on with his teeth, and wouldn't let go easily. I don't know if it's because I am somehow key to this, being 'on' right now?, but he's never done it before.

Horribly, my brother laughed and said he is trying to 'spread his seed' before he "goes". I doubt this is true, but I can't say that the sentence doesn't haunt me a little.

So my Questions really are -
1) Have you ever had an elderly rabbit go from super sick, to super hormonal?
2) Is it possible that my own hormonal cycle set him off? - I've even showered before handling him today - it made little difference. lol.
3) Is there any advice on calming him down - he's still a sick bunny, and I don't want him exerting himself. He's never been caged fully and I
don't really want to start now. He doesn't try it with anything or anyone else at all - just me.

Thoughts and opinions?

Again, apologies for a brief reply

Yes, I have seen a sudden onset of 'hormonal' behaviour in elderly and ill Rabbits. I believe it is in part due to an ill Rabbit having an increased level of cortisol, a steroid type hormone, as a result of the physiological stress illness is causing. High levels of cortisol have numerous physiological effects including an increase in the production of the sex hormone testosterone. Hence the onset of 'hormonal behaviour'. It can be mistaken for a Rabbit 'feeling better' when infact that may not actually be the case.

I have a 12yr old (turns 13 in April 2015), un-neutered, Netherland Dwarf Male, who is my light of my life.

BACKGROUND:
He has been super sick - to the point where I thought he was going to die on Thursday, in the small hours. He had gut stasis, and I've never seen anything like it. He was 3 times his size, in a lot of pain, and so bloated, when I found him, that I could see his intestines through his skin, and his lower ribs were spread a little. With advice from the out of hours vet - who's said there was really no time to get to him, I gave meds that I already had at home, thanks to the previous months worth of vets trips, and Windeze Tablets that I always keep, so I can give half a tablet, ground up with a bit of water, to Littleblack when he gets bloat. The vet said to settle him quietly after and see how it goes. I asked if I should very softly and gently massage his tummy, while he was standing on all four paws. The vet said that there was little hope with his current condition, and I should prepare myself, but there would be no harm at this stage, as long as I was very very gentle to avoid ruptures.

I got to work immediately. I spent the next 3 hours continually massaging his guts, and talking calmly to him, and keeping him warm as I worked. As his guts started moving it was like watching a living creature inside of him - it was horrible, but he was getting better, and slowly deflating. I didn't stop until I saw the first droppings, and he stopped grinding his teeth in pain.

He went very cold at about 5:30am, but his guts had improved, and so I pulled him into bed with me, and huffed hot air into his fur from my mouth. I last saw the time it was 5:40am, and woke up to a thorough face washing....from his tongue, and him gripping my eyelashes in his teeth and pulling my eyelids open, and teeth purrs. He'd turned the corner. I re-gave meds as instructed, and a small liquid feed, lots of fluids, and massaged his tummy again for a while. It felt normal again. After 12 hours of almost solid work, he was perkier and bright, and I felt it would be ok to put him in a freshly hayed up cage, and get a couple hours sleep. I put him in, and he sprawled out comfortably, and nibbled a blade of hay.

Since then, he has made masses of improvements. He has been having issues since December 21st 2014. Including diarrhea and a persistent bladder/urine infection, lots of weight loss, and a lump development that has been tested, and come back as Lymphoma of the hair follicles, but non-aggressive, so even though it's a form of Cancer, we are leaving it be for now, as Littleblack won't make it off the table in his current state and age. But for the first time since December, we have normal droppings, and a dry bottom, and his infections seem to be clearing rapidly, and he is playing A LOT, and beginning to show interest in eating and drinking on his own.......It's fantastic! ..... but now we have a new issue!

NEW 'PROBLEM':

Since he was at death's door, he seems to be even more in love with me than before. He is super clingy, and ultra protective. If I watch anything on TV with things he perceives a threat, or if my Brother or Dad or Mum, enters the room, he goes into full gladiator warrior mode! He is reacting to them, like he did in the first few weeks he was here, when he trusted no-one but me. BUT this time, he does 'stand-down' when I tell him, and comes back to me and checks me over, before taking up a guard post on my lap, while warning grunting at them, and occasionally thumping at them with a back leg - which really hurts! Lol. However, I have been turning off the TV, for the last 2 days, because I don't want him that hyped up. The other times, he is bouncing about the bed next to me, picking up things and tossing them about, and binky-ing about too. And now this new issue, that I am a little concerned about..... his hormones are up!

He never humped me before - well maybe once, when he turned about 2 years old - but he never showed any signs at all beyond that. He couldn't be neutered as he had so many issues when we first rescued him, and he was an indoor bunny with no females here, so the vet said not to, so we didn't. Anyway - now, he is trying to hump me. It caught me unawares yesterday, as he was fine, and then 3 hours later, this started.... so now I have 6 holes in my sleeve, where he gripped on with his teeth, and wouldn't let go easily. I don't know if it's because I am somehow key to this, being 'on' right now?, but he's never done it before.

Horribly, my brother laughed and said he is trying to 'spread his seed' before he "goes". I doubt this is true, but I can't say that the sentence doesn't haunt me a little.

So my Questions really are -
1) Have you ever had an elderly rabbit go from super sick, to super hormonal?
2) Is it possible that my own hormonal cycle set him off? - I've even showered before handling him today - it made little difference. lol.
3) Is there any advice on calming him down - he's still a sick bunny, and I don't want him exerting himself. He's never been caged fully and I
don't really want to start now. He doesn't try it with anything or anyone else at all - just me.

Thoughts and opinions?
I am so jealous of you, waking up to eye kisses!

Apparently you are the love of his life too!! Years ago I had a netherland dwarf named Bopper. When he was 8 years old he developed stasis and was on motility drugs (Reglan Injectible) for a while. That is when he decide to make me his girlfriend. At first I though I was feeling his toenail on my arm, until he started thumping. I stopped him but he would try again. I often wonder if this was an odd side effect of the injectible form. He also developed a slight tic which I swore was from the meds. At the time they did not have anything about that in the side effects, but now when I see ads from lawyers asking if you are a loved one developed a movement disorder when using the Reglan, I want to call them up and say-yes.

Amigo (who just turned 14 years old this month) would actually put his teeth into my skin every once and try to mate with my arm. I could not believe how hard it was to open his jaw to get him to release my arm or sleeve. At first I thought I smelled like my spayed female mini rex, so I too tried to bathe prior to handling him. He did it even more when I spelled like my soap. I joked that I gave him hugs, kisses, and pets and he wanted to go all the way. He no longers does that and has only recently learned how to give me kisses back.

Maybe Littleblack's illness caused him to forget some things and he may just need some time to remember.

Back