• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summer and Shaving

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hi,
You all know I live in Turkey, the weather is very hot in my country and the summer season has arrived. Temperatures will always be between 30-40 degrees in summer. Do you think shaving the cookie is a good option? Cookie doesn't have long fur. But is shaving good for him or is it harmful?

I know that normally shaving rabbits is not highly recommended. I actually him don't think there is a rabbit that can't tolerate the heat. After all, the whole genetic family lives in Turkey in the heat and they don't have long fur. Also even in winter our house was always 22-25 degrees and Cookie always fit perfectly. Do you think shaving is necessary?

Hi,
You all know I live in Turkey, the weather is very hot in my country and the summer season has arrived. Temperatures will always be between 30-40 degrees in summer. Do you think shaving the cookie is a good option? Cookie doesn't have long fur. But is shaving good for him or is it harmful?

I know that normally shaving rabbits is not highly recommended. I actually him don't think there is a rabbit that can't tolerate the heat. After all, the whole genetic family lives in Turkey in the heat and they don't have long fur. Also even in winter our house was always 22-25 degrees and Cookie always fit perfectly. Do you think shaving is necessary?
Noooo, definitely don't do that! You'd almost certainly catch his skin, rabbits have such fragile skin. But yea I wouldn't do that, I'd just make sure you have frozen things he can lay on and a fan etc it's manageable I think. We had a heatwave a few years ago at it got to 38 in my house and I managed to keep my buns okay.. They were hot obviously.. But it was manageable. With heat like that, do you not have air con though? Most countries I've been to with heat like that have aircon everywhere [emoji38]

Noooo, definitely don't do that! You'd almost certainly catch his skin, rabbits have such fragile skin. But yea I wouldn't do that, I'd just make sure you have frozen things he can lay on and a fan etc it's manageable I think. We had a heatwave a few years ago at it got to 38 in my house and I managed to keep my buns okay.. They were hot obviously.. But it was manageable. With heat like that, do you not have air con though? Most countries I've been to with heat like that have aircon everywhere [emoji38]

There is air conditioner but not in his room. He spends the night in his own room. Anyway, we are planning to move in a few months. We are looking for a central system air conditioner in a new house or an air-conditioned house in every room, Cookie will also have air conditioning in him room.
I don't think I'll ever get him shaved after saying that right now. I will not consider this option again.

Turks are used to hot weather, usually 30-35 degrees is not considered hot for us. The weather in Istanbul is usually 30-35 degrees in summer, which is quite warm. :D Therefore, air conditioning is not very common in Istanbul. In the south, the weather is generally 37-45 degrees, that's why every house has an air conditioner. Some days the temperature is 50 degrees in the south and the asphalt is melting, welcome to the Mediterranean. :D :D :D

When I go to the Mediterranean, that is to the south, even though the air conditioner is running in full(inside car), the places where my sunglasses touch are wet with sweat and my glasses are fogged. :lol: :lol:

i agree totally with Graciee.
.... and yes, rabbits have very delicate skin. so easy to tear it. i'm sure he will be fine indoors with plenty of cool water & a fan if he can choose to sit in the breeze or not.

i agree totally with Graciee.
.... and yes, rabbits have very delicate skin. so easy to tear it. i'm sure he will be fine indoors with plenty of cool water & a fan if he can choose to sit in the breeze or not.

Rabbits regulate their body temperature via the veins in their ears. Putting some cool water over the ears can help in very hot weather. There are some additional tips here

https://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/heatwaveblog.pdf

Thank you so much. I will not consider this option. :) This fan, cold water and I will look at the link. I also remember that rabbits don't like the wind, will the fan sick it?

I really wouldn’t shave him if he’s not a long haired bunny.
b345b17559cb74ed4adf85de632d8933.jpg

Even with Wanda I use grooming scissors and not clippers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back