• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

preparing for summer heatwaves

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
Summer heatwaves... its probably better to prepare for them now rather than later when things like fans are sold out and keeping our bunnies cool can be hard as it is in the middle of a 40'C plus heatwave.

I predict that there will be a mini heatwave towards the end of March but it will be below 30'C

The Metro Office predicts that 2023 will be even hotter than sweltering 2022, when UK temperatures hit 40°C. 2023 is set to be the tenth year in a row that the global temperature is at least 1°C above average. It will be another summer where temperatures hit record highs again. I'm already preparing for summer so that I can keep my bunnies cool for when the heatwaves come.

I have all the necessary equipment to try to keep my House Rabbits as cool as possible in any future heatwaves. Buying things like Air Con units is always best done when they are not in demand. I bought some of these last year and they proved to be very effective

https://www.amazon.co.uk/your-order...es=&returnUnitMappingId=&shipmentId=DNwCYP5bX

I have a portable Air Con unit too. Goodness knows how much they will all cost to run though given the cost of electricity these days

Things like ice pods or large ceramic tiles or marble slabs are useful - bunnies can choose to slodge somewhere a bit cooler. If they are outside, shade is essential - so things like tarps or shade sails can be strung up over their run area. Those cost nothing to run, and give a bit of a head start to aircon units & fans.

I've got some UV film to go on the inside of windows which get the full sun, so that will cut down on a bit of thermal gain to those rooms.

Meanwhile, back to the 5" of snow and -11'C we had yesterday....

All the windows in my flat are south facing so there's not an awful lot I can do in heatwaves (although I will try the foil method this year if we get one). I just freeze lots of water bottles and rotate them for my buns.

You can buy stick on temporary blackout binds from Amazon, they do different sizes, and would make your home cooler.

Lots of great ideas :) I'll start looking for some of those things...

The rising cost of energy can be an issue as AC units use a lot of current to run and so do fans but AC units are best because having just a fan on its own will start to become ineffective after a certain temperature so it will just end up blowing hot air all over the place. The issues I face is the roof tiles they absorb heat like a wet sponge you can even feel the heat in the walls during summer. I will add some UV stuff over the windows anyway and try the other recommendations mentioned above.

Those who have big gardens/yards could maybe invest in a decent solar panel or two to help generate some extra power for there air conditioning units...

I tried building a 12volt solar powered air conditioning system a couple years back but I could not get enough current out of the solar panel to charge the battery for the air con unit and I ended up using my 12volt HAM power supply to power it. If I had a garden I could get something decent for power.

Last edited:
Lots of great ideas :) I'll start looking for some of those things...

The rising cost of energy can be an issue as AC units use a lot of current to run and so do fans but AC units are best because having just a fan on its own will start to become ineffective after a certain temperature so it will just end up blowing hot air all over the place. The issues I face is the roof tiles they absorb heat like a wet sponge you can even feel the heat in the walls during summer. I will add some UV stuff over the windows anyway and try the other recommendations mentioned above.

Those who have big gardens/yards could maybe invest in a decent solar panel or two to help generate some extra power for there air conditioning units...

I tried building a 12volt solar powered air conditioning system a couple years back but I could not get enough current out of the solar panel to charge the battery for the air con unit and I ended up using my 12volt HAM power supply to power it. If I had a garden I could get something decent for power.

Yea we have aircon I was actually surprised how it didn't cost that much to run if I'm honest, however ours isn't the stand alone portable units, they work for sure but are loud and cost a fair bit to run ime, I used one last summer at my grandparents place, it managed to get their living room down to 30 degrees, when it was 40 outside. So way better, but it cost them more to do that than for my house which we kept at 21. For the whole 48 hours or so it was silly hot out. But obviously proper aircon isn't possible for everyone, especially not flats! Unless they all go in for it.

Solar is best on the roof! Wouldn't put it in your garden. My issue is my roof isn't big enough to get enough on I don't think, plus I have a loft conversion so my two velux are taking up space and also I don't have anywhere to put the tesla battery. We did look into it tho. My parents are getting solar I think they said. They're getting a new electric car so makes sense I guess!

I do wonder how we will all cope long term tho if weather is going to be like this more regularly now. The UK never had aircon in homes usually because it just wasn't needed. But Idk now. I'm gunna get another unit added onto my system so I can keep the kitchen cool for Freddie if the temperatures get silly this year.

I had to go out last year at 1pm on the second day when it got to 42 out, the steering wheel actually burnt my hands a little to touch [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We have finally got an aircon unit fitted in the bedroom after last year's 40c nightmare and it gets the main bedroom down to 18c in just 20 minutes. Dusty will be located in there when temps get high.

We're getting air con fitted in all the rooms upstairs later this month. I absolutely cannot cope with any more stress like last year trying to keep the piggies alive, plus keep them in the kitchen and not even have room to cook etc for days!

Not looking forward to it though, as I don't actually know where the pigs are going while it is being done!

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

We will be summer ready by the end of this week. The air con fitting started today, and the pigs are in the kitchen till it is done. The main thing that happens there (other than them being in the way for cooking, and having to be in a smaller cage) is that every time we go in the kitchen we say 'awww... they are so cute!!!' :lol: It will be so great not to have to worry about them in the heat and be able to leave them in their usual room.

We will be summer ready by the end of this week. The air con fitting started today, and the pigs are in the kitchen till it is done. The main thing that happens there (other than them being in the way for cooking, and having to be in a smaller cage) is that every time we go in the kitchen we say 'awww... they are so cute!!!' [emoji38] It will be so great not to have to worry about them in the heat and be able to leave them in their usual room.
Ooo How's the install going so far? [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Ooo How's the install going so far? [emoji38]

Going to take 3 or 4 days, I think, although they did quite a lot today. Happy with them so far, so thanks for the recommendation!

Going to take 3 or 4 days, I think, although they did quite a lot today. Happy with them so far, so thanks for the recommendation!
I hope it goes well and they do a good job! Always worry when I make a recommendation [emoji38]

I hope it goes well and they do a good job! Always worry when I make a recommendation [emoji38]

Yep! Where there's blame there's a claim... No seriously, I'm sure it'll be fine! [emoji38]

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Back