• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sumi doing ok, Nell is sick U/D opinions requested

Hi fiona
Hope all your little buns are getting on ok now. It's so worrying being a bunny mum. Wishing them all well.

Who's the little man to keep clover company?? :wink:

Take care and best wishes.
xx

Hi Fiona :wave: ,

Sorry you're having problems with Nell. I too am having problems with Harvey. He had a dental on Tuesday but a different vet used a completely different pre-med which has totally knocked the stuffing out of him.

I have been syringe feeding him and trying to coax him to eat. He has had a little veg, a few excel dwarf pellets and I think a tiny bit of oats.

Is Nell eating. Have you tried her on the excel dwarf variety when her mouth is sore? The pellets are very small and easy to eat I think they are quite sweet as well so may encourage her to eat more. Also a spoonful of oats may help to keep her weight on. Parsley is a good appetiser.

It is so stressful having to go through these dental probs with our bunnies but we do it because we love our rabbits and want whats best for them. Has Nell got a partner? I find that having the companionship of another rabbit when the other is ill is very good for them. It is a comfort to them and I have found it does perk them up a lot.

Sending lots of fuss to Nell.

L O L,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hello there you two.

Nell seems to be eating again thank goodness, not quite got as fierce an appetite though. However, I have been here before though so I know (like we all do) not to take anything for granted, but I'd just like to see her through for as many days as possible before giving her another dental. Every day without GA matters I suppose. 3 weeks and 5 days now

Nell lives with Sumi and Marcy and they are being kind to her. Marcy looks a little 'off' though she is a dental bunny too, so will need to watch that.

I definitely notice how much they pick up when they are being fussed over by their friends!

Nell seems to be enjoying her pellets reasonably well though will need to stock up on anything that will tempt them. I give them a little drop of oats each morning.

Lisa......Clover's little bunny friend is a major cutey so I will post some piccies when he arrives!! :wink: I will have to delay his arrival though until I get my buns on an even keel again. :(

Nicola......hope Harvey feels better soon. Poor wee man, how often is he having his dental work at the moment?

Fiona x

Hiya Fiona :wave: ,

Harvey has always gone about 3 months between each dental but this time it was only about 6 weeks ago but my vet and I are hoping that it's a one -off.

Problem is this time he had his dental he went to a different vet as my vet and I both agreed for him to see this other vet as she had come across Harveys gum problem before.

What a shock...I went to pick him up and he was sprawled out, cold and limp, hardly breathing with his eyes shut...I felt physically sick and just grabbed him and rushed him off home. I later found out he had been given a different pre-med -ACP and torbugesic. My vet told me she nevers uses that on rabbits and also Jane on the forums vet said that she never uses it in buns as it can cause a bunny to go very flat and slows their breathind right down. I won't be taking him back there again that's for sure. He has a few veggies to eat and a few excel pellets. I feel so bad for putting him through it.

I'm so glad Nell is eating :D ...brillo news. She is so lucky to have such a devoted mummy.

Hugs to you both,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

yep i know that feeling al to wel..i have always felt guilty for putting kibbles down but she did have eye and ear infections too which i guess now were due to her immune system cos of the pain. I had heard of molar extraction but was told it wasnt done..maybe if it was and she had have survvied shed be chasing postmen even now :lol:
But she had a broken heart after our beloved moggy her love of her life died and she seemed to die too insdie and she didnt want to fight anymore so iagreed to have her pts
no one not even the vet has the right to judge or not be understanding with you..dental probs are so common especially genetetic ones.
Bif hada different vet do a dental at another practice and ive never ever seen any of my buns this bouncy after one..shes not needed force feeding or anything!! but it was just over a month or on a motnh since her last dental..it was 6months prior to that!

i hope nells eating well and feeling better now.
I usually use bio lapis to get the gut flora right again but this time the new vet suggested the protexin fibreplex and as jane willt ellyou..iits wonderful stuff! Bifs having it 3 times daily..tomorrow morn is her final dose..shes pooed teeny weeny pin heads and then this evening i noticed a nice healthy pile of pellets in one of the trays..bigger than pre dental ones! maybe get some for buns post dental? or even with gut probs..
i think vetscriptions is where i was going to buy it from..back me up here jane where did you get it from/

um maybe we should have a pinend thread with links for meds?

keep your spirits up with bunny hugs! And dont let it drain you too much..easier said than done i know.

we would like another bun preferably a frenchie so bif would have 2 bodygurads and maybe a young one at that so shed have something to bomb around with but would get more laid back..the kitties would appreciate some interaction too as bertie wants to sleep and they want to hug him and he gets miffed if he doesnt have his 23 hr a day snooze!
But Bif is sufering traumatisation post house flooding adn losing oscar and i guess bonding with bertie and the kittens arriving and thenstaying as im so weak..couldnt foster!
Butin a way i think shed enjoy having more bunny company and shed be boss!

nicole said:
Hi Fiona how is Nell this evening?

Hi there. Nell seems to be munching her hay and pellets as normal, but we all know that they can fool us!!. I will be watching her closely!! :lol:

purplebumble said:
keep your spirits up with bunny hugs! And dont let it drain you too much..easier said than done i know.

we would like another bun preferably a frenchie so bif would have 2 bodygurads and maybe a young one at that so shed have something to bomb around with but would get more laid back..the kitties would appreciate some interaction too as bertie wants to sleep and they want to hug him and he gets miffed if he doesnt have his 23 hr a day snooze!
But Bif is sufering traumatisation post house flooding adn losing oscar and i guess bonding with bertie and the kittens arriving and thenstaying as im so weak..couldnt foster!
Butin a way i think shed enjoy having more bunny company and shed be boss!"

Thanks purplebumble, you are always very supportive. I'm glad Bif bounced back today. She's a special little lady

Fiona x

Back