• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange looking poops

Hmm, no chances it could have been missed when you swept out last? I know it's a silly question!

Leave out some food, and if it disappears, you'll have an answer. They'll eat bread, cheese, egg, anything really! But I'd be inclined to put out non-rabbit food just so you can be sure it's an omnivore.

Hmm, no chances it could have been missed when you swept out last? I know it's a silly question!

Leave out some food, and if it disappears, you'll have an answer. They'll eat bread, cheese, egg, anything really! But I'd be inclined to put out non-rabbit food just so you can be sure it's an omnivore.

Putting food out like that I likely to make rats appear, not prove they were there. I wouldn't recommend it.

I know this is random... but do any of your neighbours have decking in their gardens, or do you? Many rats like to live under the decking.

Putting food out like that I likely to make rats appear, not prove they were there. I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't think 1 or 2 small pieces of bait left out for 1 night would attract anything that doesn't already know how to get in, but it would show a weakness in the enclosure exists. They'd be attracted by the rabbit's food anyway once they were back in.

You can also put down some talcum powder, which would show up footprints, it's just whether that would sweep up safely for rabbits to go back in.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies ........ OH has worked really hard since we discovered the 'visitors'. He has sealed up any random holes he has found ...... but we didn't want to leave them without any fresh air circulating in the run so he has meshed up any big holes ..........there was also a slight gap between the wall and the roof of the run in some areas which is where he thinks they were getting in (there were poops on top of the hutch so they've obviously been up there) so he's meshed all the way across the back of the run as well the whole run had a new roof on about 3 weeks ago when we had some storms and the other started leaking so we know that's all ok.

Apparently one of the houses at the back of us (our gardens all back on to one another) is having an extension built and the builders have just taken up their decking in the garden!

Weve had no more 'visitor' poops since Friday morning'!! So fingers crossed they've found somewhere else to go now!!

xx

Fingers crossed they will stay away. 'My' rat is still around but can't get into where I keep the bunnies but the dogs let me know it has been running around the garden and show me the poop!

Them having the decking up explains why you've been having issues then.
Decking makes a great home for rats.

I had a random thought yesterday while cleaning the bunnies room - do you get a lot of Hedgehogs? It doesn't look quite like hedgehog poo, but there is always the possibility.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies ........ OH has worked really hard since we discovered the 'visitors'. He has sealed up any random holes he has found ...... but we didn't want to leave them without any fresh air circulating in the run so he has meshed up any big holes ..........there was also a slight gap between the wall and the roof of the run in some areas which is where he thinks they were getting in (there were poops on top of the hutch so they've obviously been up there) so he's meshed all the way across the back of the run as well the whole run had a new roof on about 3 weeks ago when we had some storms and the other started leaking so we know that's all ok.

Apparently one of the houses at the back of us (our gardens all back on to one another) is having an extension built and the builders have just taken up their decking in the garden!

Weve had no more 'visitor' poops since Friday morning'!! So fingers crossed they've found somewhere else to go now!!

xx

Did I miss something? Are you sure it's a ratty then?

Your buns are OK are they - no more odd poos discovered?

Did I miss something? Are you sure it's a ratty then?

Your buns are OK are they - no more odd poos discovered?

Hiya ....... it's definitely 'something' visiting them as we brought the bunnies indoors for the night, swept out the hutch/run and there were new odd poops outside in the run the morning after ......despite the bunnies being indoors..... OH then took everything out of the hutch/run to see if there was anything in there or where they could be getting in. There was definitely nothing trapped in there but there were holes where a visitor could have got in .... he has now either sealed or meshed any holes and we've had no odd poops in the hutch/run since.

Also, both bunnies had completely normal poops whilst indoors so there was obviously something visiting them at night!

Last edited:
Yes I doubt its rat poop,don't stress over it. Its probably just one of your buns like other people said..!

Hiya ....... it's definitely 'something' visiting them as we brought the bunnies indoors for the night, swept out the hutch/run and there were new odd poops outside in the run the morning after ......despite the bunnies being indoors..... OH then took everything out of the hutch/run to see if there was anything in there or where they could be getting in. There was definitely nothing trapped in there but there were holes where a visitor could have got in .... he has now either sealed or meshed any holes and we've had no odd poops in the hutch/run since.

Also, both bunnies had completely normal poops whilst indoors so there was obviously something visiting them at night!

Ooooh :shock:

Back