• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still not eating hay.

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Last night Charlie had a bit of hay which I got excited about, but was short lived..

She is eating everything, the vet can't find any problems with her. Her teeth are fine and she is eating everything else, but hay! I've cut down her pellets to a small pinch and she gets a fibre first stick, she has a small handful of kale/hawthorn and another small handful of grass. She eats all of that.

She has stalky meadow hay, fairly soft baled meadow hay, ings and timothy & rye. She never touched ings or t&rye before but I'm trying everything.. Her poos are fine too. Going to get some of that meadow hay from The Range as she seemed to like that really soft stuff.

Our vet thought that perhaps the spay had knocked her a bit so gave us some bio-lapis and we finished the course of metoclopramide but her gut seems to be working properly. Fine in herself and everything. Our vet is very aware of the fact she will stop eating after vet trips and is generally very stressed out so while the trips have been regular, we're trying to keep them to a minimum as it takes us back several steps again.

I'm just wary of stopping grass etc completely in case that means she won't be eating anything at all. I wish she could just tell me what's up! :(

Last edited:
hows Charlie this evening, Aly? :wave:

Still being stubborn! Decided to up her grass again as reducing it didn't get her eating hay, will get some hay from the range tomorrow as that's soft and some herbs/tasty things to mix into it. It is my mission to get her eating hay again! :lol:

Thank you for asking :love: I could do with someone coming over and giving her a telling off for keeping my stress levels so high! :lol:

What a nightmare :(

I really hope Charlie starts eating hay soon, have you thought about trying green oat hay? Flopsy will eat that and he's a dental bun so it must be good stuff.

I could send you some of my really nice new farm hay as its nice green long strands of soft meadow hay but its also quite similar to the INGS in a way so she may not eat it.

I hope she likes The range hay tomorrow , I can symphasise to just how frustrating it is :( .

Thanks Jack :love:

Might get some of those little bags of forage they sell too, get her some yummy treats to try and tempt her!

My bf sent me a text at 7 this morning saying she was eating a stand of hay but dropped it when she saw him :roll::lol: he said it was in the meadow hay pile (I have all the different types of hay in piles to see which one she is eating :lol:) but described it as a thin, green, squiggly strand so that kind of sounds like The Range hay.. Hopefully she'll eat it!

Have you tried cutting her hay up? My Hollie eats a fair bit of hay if I cut it into tiny wee pieces and put it in a bowl, but apart from that she is picky with hay.

The French Hay from DFH is going down well at the moment tho'

Have you tried cutting her hay up? My Hollie eats a fair bit of hay if I cut it into tiny wee pieces and put it in a bowl, but apart from that she is picky with hay.

The French Hay from DFH is going down well at the moment tho'

Ooh no I haven't! Will pick some softer bits out and cut those up :) I wanted to get some dust free hay but the website confuses me :oops::lol:

Ooh no I haven't! Will pick some softer bits out and cut those up :) I wanted to get some dust free hay but the website confuses me :oops::lol:

haha, I know what you mean re the website!

If you wanna pay the postage costs then I could post you down some french hay to try? Would be £2.60 and I could post some on Friday if you wanted?

Back