• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starfish is holding her own! Looking back.

Not great news really. There are three issues we are dealing with.

1 - her scar line is still very tender and feels like beads, op was 6 wks ago.
2 - her teeth have a couple of sharp points but there are no ulcers or sore bits on her cheeks or tongue.
3 - her kidneys are both enlarged, although one much bigger than the other.

She is still depressed and when in the run hides in a box. She doesn't usually dash around like the others but she would at least have a hop around and eat grass for most of the day.

Our way forward is to try and improve her quality of life. The vet explained that giving a kidney damaged rabbit metacam will not be good for the kidneys, however the hope is that the pain relief will perk her up a bit and hopefully improve her mood.

We could do blood tests for kidney damage but it will only confirm what is suspected and not help with treatment.

He is reluctant to give her a ga at this point to do her teeth because she is so low. If the metacam helps then we will consider it. He really doesn't think they are causing any probs.

So basically, the feeling I get is that if the metacam doesn't help, we need to consider pts. If it does help, I monitor her closely and if she declines further then we help her. If she perks up we can consider doing her teeth.

Sorry it is such a long post.

Ali have replied to your pm
Has your vet said what has caused this as in her pre spey check all seemed well:?
For now trying to keep too much calcium out of her diet..things like dandelions, kale, curly parsley etc as this can cause blockages that affect the kidneys.

Will get back to you again later xxhugs to you both

Ali have replied to your pm
Has your vet said what has caused this as in her pre spey check all seemed well:?
For now trying to keep too much calcium out of her diet..things like dandelions, kale, curly parsley etc as this can cause blockages that affect the kidneys.

Will get back to you again later xxhugs to you both

TBH, they haven't had veg for a couple of months because they are out on good grass for 8 hours a day. He didn't say what could have caused it but it was prob the vet I would trust most with the buns so for that I am grateful.

Also, I am going to start her on some protexin probiotics unless it is a bad idea. It will need to be the syringe fed one.

We all hope that Starfish will start to improve.

Sending her huge amounts of strength, courage and get well wishes.

She is in such safe hands.

Take care. x

I wonder if giving her Kidneys some support with SQ fluids might be a good idea if she is now on Metacam ?

What about a different analgesia, low dose of Tramadol maybe :?

Lots of vibes for her :love:

Thanks everyone. We may have her for a while yet but if I think the worst I can only be happily wrong. I just want to keep her happy and well.

Going in the morning to find out how to give fluids at home, she sits so still on my knee for grooming I hope she will be ok.

Thanks Jane!

She is a tiny bit brighter tonight. Still not coming out of the box but she is moving around inside it. I have left them out later tonight to see if she would brighten up into the evening but it hasn't happened yet.

Back