• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Staphylococcus Aureus.Barlie has a new abscess.Post52

With Barlie yes as you can see in the pics the paw started to improve then it went rapidly down hill.Honey had a toe amputated last year but it has come back.Honey can get away with another toe amputation Barlie cant and Willow is to big to loose a back leg.The thing is if this bacteria resurfaces every year how far do you go

I do think you may have a very hard decision to make. I don't have any experience of Staphylococcus and had never heard of it before now. :-(
I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, you must feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall. x

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say how sorry I am that you and your bunnies are having to go through this. So terribly sad. You are in our thoughts.

Thank you for your kindness.The only thing I can say if the worst happens I know in my heart of hearts I have tried my hardest, which I know isnt enough for my babies,to try and find a cure for this horrible THING.Im so upset Im just glad I have found this forum full of bunny loving people.NO one else seems to understand they just think its a rabbit and why am I getting so upset over a bunny

My bunny Goofball was living very happily w/ 3 legs just fine. There is some adjustment upset at the beginning, but after a few weeks of the leg removal, she was doing just nicely. She passed away due to post-dental complication. So no leg related incident. And she lives just over 1 yr. from the date of surgery.

However, because her leg is removed, I gave her a thick pillow at her spot when she pees, the pillow is stacked w/ thick towels, so I change the towel daily. Also at Goofball other spot, I put a thick cotton blanket on, so it functions as a padding to elevate her position. If your bun has leg removed, you need to impose thick padding around the space they usually rest on.

My vet told me that toes injury only has a 50-50 chance of healing, in many case, the toe (the dight) needed to be removed. What happens was, her nail is too long and I was afraid to cut it. In the end, everything turns out okay for Goofball, no dight need to be cut. But if your bun has abcess and it damage the toes, it's easier to remove that dight to stop the spreading of bacteria

Last edited:
I just wanted to wish you and your bunnies all the best! I am so sorry for you, and I wish here was something I could do to help!!:cry::cry:

So very sorry that you and your bunnies are in this nightmare. Would it be worth those of us with bunny-savvy vets ringing to ask if they could talk to you on the phone/look at the pictures at least? I'd phone mine for you just in case - we may between us ru folk hit on one who had done some research in this area, and you've already done everything you possibly can yourself - maybe one of our vets could help?

Nicky

I'll try and have a word with Christabel today to see if she has any suggestions.
Do you have a copy of the swab results? If so could you PM the exact findings to me please so as I can run them by Christabel.
I cant promise she'll be able to help but I will ask her. She may be able to give your Vet a call so if you could PM me a contact number aswell.

I'll email her the photos if that's OK with you ? She probably wont see them til tonight though.

Janex

This morning Willow was shaking his front paw after inspection I have found an Abscess the sore on his back paw has now started bleeding I'm off to see my vet in a while.

I have been prescribed flamozine for willows sore on his back leg and have been told its ok to use on his and Honeys paws.I have been given ceporex to inject twice daily for two weeks for Bugsy,honey and willow.

I have just been in the garden with Barlie giving her some cuddles because we both loved Bugsy.I have put her with her brother Blue as they get on.Barlie was banging her remaing paw on the ground,which she does quite a lot.I check her remaining paw every day because the fur has worn away and there is hard skin there.I havent checked her paw since wednesday because i was so worried about Bugsy.I have just had a look and there is a burst Abscess on the side of the paw.I wonder if she has got streesed from being apart from Bugsy and this has set the bacteria off again.

Wouldnt it be fairer to PTS to affected rabbits? All that is happening is that more and more are being infected and suffering as a result. You need to stop the spread of the bacteria to prevent more lives being put at risk.

Its not an easy thing to do, but in the long run, you are preventing the suffering of numerous animals, and ending the suffering of those already afflicted.

Wouldnt it be fairer to PTS to affected rabbits? All that is happening is that more and more are being infected and suffering as a result. You need to stop the spread of the bacteria to prevent more lives being put at risk.

Its not an easy thing to do, but in the long run, you are preventing the suffering of numerous animals, and ending the suffering of those already afflicted.

I think it would be for the Vet treating Maizey's Rabbits to make such a decision in conjunction with Maizey :)

I am only a PM away if I can be of any help Maizey

I think it would be for the Vet treating Maizey's Rabbits to make such a decision in conjunction with Maizey :)

I am only a PM away if I can be of any help Maizey

Im sure it is up to the vet. But when money is involved, vets dont always make the right decision. Not all vets even like animals, they are more scientists than anything else, care often comes last place.

Whilst im sure the OP is doing all that she can, in accordance with her qualified veterinary surgeon, im merely looking at it from another point of view, rather than putting some silly comment or giving vibes.

Im not saying she is right or wrong in what she is doing. I dont know the full facts, as none of us do on this forum, but i dont see the point in being asked for opinions and only giving one-sided nice ones. Im not having a personal attack on anyone, its obvious she has and still is taking great care of her animals, but having read this entire thread, it seems to me the problem is getting out of hand, and more animals are suffering as a result.

I dont let my animals suffer.I love them with all my heart.The only new bunny I bought in was Bugsy before I knew what this bacteria was cabable of.I wont and havent got any more bunnies since then.
Ive lost Bugsy today Its very likely Im going to loose Barlie.The others have been seperated since Barlie got Ill.Im sorry i didnt update the post on Willow and Honey but the abx knocked their abscesses on the head as they obviously have a better immune system.
I will fight tooth and nail to help my bunnies and maybe thats why no one has found a cure for this as people with your attitude have their rabbits put to sleep before trying to save them

I've split this. If you have any useful suggestions on treatment please continue to post them here. If you want to debate the finer points of how and when animals should be treated please go here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=148777

If you want to have an argument please log off and go get yourself a cuppa and come back when you've cooled down.

Tamsin
Admin

Barlie got put to sleep at 5.15 tonight because she had another abscess and I didnt think It right to put her through any more.She has been buried with Bugsy

Oh Maizey, I'm sorry. You are having a nightmare. If you need a chat or anything, I'm only a PM away. I know we don't know each other, but sometimes that helps.

Binky free Barlie

Back