• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed doe is nesting???

clairen

Warren Scout
My neutered boy has been bonded with his doe for a couple of months. They are very loved up :love: and she has been displaying mating behaviours since spring started. She was spayed at the rescue I presume some time ago as she was there for some months and I know Eve would have done her early.

However, this morning I have caught her pulling out her fur, I open the 'bedroom' area and there is a massive pile of underbelly-fur in the litter tray :shock::shock::shock:.

Is this normal behaviour in a spayed doe? I need to clean them out today, do I throw away the fur or replace it in the clean tray??

Does she have any special needs during what I assume is a phantom pregnancy?

Thanks, Claire x

I didn't realise spayed girlies would pull fur out to that extent. I would leave the fur in the hutch/cage. She might get upset or stroppy if her nest is disturbed. Our girlies made 'nests' before they were spayed - and one after - and we just left them alone for a few days until they seemed to lose interest in them.
Our nests were a heap of hay, cardboard and chewed up carpet pushed under a table! Bless!

It's quite normal for this to happen but I believe that in spayed girly buns it is more likely if there is some uterine tissue or cells left behind following spaying. That said, all of my girlie bunnies have been going bonkers for the last month or so.

It's called pseudopregnancy.

In unspayed bunnies,they don't have regular cycles and only ovulate when they are 'aroused'. This is normally when a male bunny starts trying to mate.

But, a doe can make herself ovulate by mounting another bunny (male or female) or by being aroused by a boy in the area. She can exhibit all the normal nesting behaviour but this will pass. This includes making the nest, but her teets can swell too. I am guessing that this happens, but to a lesser degree when a bunny is spayed.

My bunny Josie is doing this right now, and has built the best nest ever seen. She is just about to have her spay and is very excitable at present. One of my other bunnies, Sally has also done this but she was spayed a long time ago.

Last edited:
Oooh Claire, which girlie did you adopt in the end? Sorry if I missed that bit somewhere :oops:

It is unusual for spayed does to nest but not unheard of. It's possible that she's just got frisky because of the change in weather, daylight and sunshine and that has made her other hormones go a bit haywire - especially if there are other bunnies around who have also got spring fever - or occasionally a bit of tissue can get left behind during a spay so they can still get a little hormonal. Eve's vet does a lot of spays though so unless it was a particularly complicated one it's probably the former.

Santa is spayed and she still exhibits some nesting behaviour - she doesn't pluck fur but she does collect bits of hay and carry it around in her mouth and make it into a little cosy nest.

Thanks everyone who replied, am glad this behaviour isn't unheard of. I cleaned the litter trays and replaced all the fur, she doesn't seem to have minded but went straight up to check :lol:. They have been "at it like rabbits" all afternoon, I am praying the neutering and spaying worked :lol::lol:

Oooh Claire, which girlie did you adopt in the end? Sorry if I missed that bit somewhere :oops:

:wave: Hi Alison, I adopted 2 girls from Eve so now have 4 buns. Eve partnered Ernie with Erin (who was called Currents, she is a grey nethie and the one who is 'nesting'), Eve thought they'd be a good match and it was love at first sight. Eric was then tried with all the females she had and he fell for the last one she tried :lol: who is Tia (a black lionhead). All 4 seem very happy touch wood, luv Claire x

It wasn't that long ago that Erin was spayed, my sister had her as a foster for a few months and she wasn't done until she went back to Eve's which was february I think. Spring weather does funny things to buns :roll:

It wasn't that long ago that Erin was spayed, my sister had her as a foster for a few months and she wasn't done until she went back to Eve's which was february I think. Spring weather does funny things to buns :roll:

Aah, that explains her nutter-ish behaviour then, she won't leave Ernie alone for a minute 9even throws herself under him while he is having a drink, I am almost feeling sorry for him :roll:. He looks resigned to things :lol:
I just assumed she was done earlier as I knew she had been in rescue care for a while. Poor thing, she is pulling out so much fur I'm surprised she isn't bald.
Thanks Louise!

Aah, that explains her nutter-ish behaviour then, she won't leave Ernie alone for a minute 9even throws herself under him while he is having a drink, I am almost feeling sorry for him :roll:. He looks resigned to things :lol:

Poor Ernie :(

Rosie had a day before she was spayed when she pestered Herbie incessantly.
She followed him around all day nudging him and was even brazen enough to stick her bottom in his face. All to no avail! I felt sorry for Herbie too - I wonder whether he was oblivious to her needs or sadly knew but wasn't able to 'feel the urge'!

I hope Erin soon calms down and gives Ernie a break!
Vanessa xx

Poor Ernie :(

Rosie had a day before she was spayed when she pestered Herbie incessantly.
She followed him around all day nudging him and was even brazen enough to stick her bottom in his face. All to no avail! I felt sorry for Herbie too - I wonder whether he was oblivious to her needs or sadly knew but wasn't able to 'feel the urge'!

I hope Erin soon calms down and gives Ernie a break!
Vanessa xx

Aah, poor Rosie, rejection is harsh, and Herbie's reputation is ruined :lol:. Ernie doesn't seem to mind too much, just seems to have a world-weary look to him at the moment. He has always been a feisty bun so I'm surprised he's tolerated all this behaviour, she circles him constantly, then pushes her way under him and flops on her back :shock: poor Ern :lol:. He has given her what she wants :oops::oops: a few times which was rather embarrassing when our friends were over for a BBQ :lol:

Back