• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillabelle getting spayed

I couldn't find a thread on this but wanted to say to Tonibun we are all sending you vibes for your doe getting her spay tomorrow if she still is. Chief and Lils send nose bumps to her ❤

Weighing them at home is definitely the way to go. If you cannot obtain a set of digital baby scales then you could weigh yourself( weight A), then weigh yourself again whilst holding L or MC ( weight B) and deduct weight A from weight B to obtain the weight of the Bunny.

Digital baby scales are relatively inexpensive to buy and would give a more accurate weight.

EDIT, found these on Vinted

Thank you both BM and IM. We have baby scales here already as you helped me get some good ones on a later thread IM and yes you are right that it would be better for the buns if they did not have to go to the vets every month. I think we should go to the next one so she can look at the buns again and give advice and we will weigh them weekly aswell.

But that after that we could just go and get them weighed every 3 months? Or even when we get their jabs and free 6 monthly check ups? Of course they only need jabs once a year but I think 6 monthly check ups is the minimum needed especially with M's teeth. In fact I would like him to be checked 3 monthly now to see how his burrs are doing and whether the new hay and toys will help.

On the subject of the new hay, the Burgess hay is a bit short as we would like to use it in their hay racks/bags. The Science Selective we used before and they loved it. I thought the boxes may be higher grade although more expensive so went to trying all them. But is Science Selective a good enough hay for them? I think I need to read threads on hay so we look at them but will get a bag of Science Selective for now. Then they have 3 hays to choose from like the nurse suggested.

Omi thank you for your suggestions for sticks I could look at. I will read them and look to ordering some today.

When I said about costs for the buns I wasn't complaining. We can afford it but I just don't want the cost going up even more. We happily buy stuff for them 😊

Last edited:
I would just weigh them at home every week, and keep a record of it. You can always ring the results through to the vet if you feel you need to. I wouldn't be making a trip just to get them weighed if you don't have to.

It's useful to weigh dental bunnies so you can tell when they are starting to have issues eating properly and catch it early.

I suspect that the sticks you tried previously might have been dry and so possibly not very appetising for them. I get all of our sticks from our garden, so if you have any friends or neighbours with rabbit friendly trees, you could ask them for a few to try. My rabbits like, apple, pear, willow, hawthorn and hazel, along with a few others.

I had a look online to see what was available and sadly most of them did appear to be all cut to the same size. There's also a question then of where the sticks have come from. Anyway, these two sites looked very promising for uk grown willow. One of them also had some very nice looking willow toys, which they can of course nibble.

So I would happily get the blackberry leaves, willow sticks and fresh willow from this place http://www.rossrabbits.co.uk/fresh-willow.html

And this is the place which sells the willow toys as well https://willowsnursery.co.uk/product-category/willow-for-rabbits/

Regarding hay, I agree Excel timothy hay is very nice, but in my view also very expensive. I would say that this company's timothy hay is equally as good, but not as expensive https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ I have been buying hay from them for years and several other members also use them. I have sometimes experimented and tried other companies, but always came back to them. We get just the regular timothy, which is in fact quite stalky.

Good to read that they've had a good day today. And have been running about and eating their hay.
I apologise that I may have missed replying on your thread properly as my head is all over the place atm but I have read your post.

I looked at the willow you suggested plus the timothy hay. The willow branches sound nice for them so we are ordering some. They do have a couple of willow toys atm. One of them is a ball with very thick willow. They are taking ages with this one. Is it better that the willow is thick like that? We did buy a willow tunnel with thinner willow and Chief and Lils chewed it apart in 2-3 days and cost us £25. But this willow ball on the other hand is taking ages for them to eat and was around £10 I think. I hope the willow they cut for us will be fairly thick so they get some benefit as they chew it.

Those toys look a fantastic deal aswell and a good size for my buns. We will get some next month for them as we are ordering the timothy hay and willow branches this month.

What timothy hay would you suggest of the 3 types? I would say probably not the soft hay. They also offer brown, mature stalky timothy hay. Would that be best or is the timothy hay shown first stalky enough? I know Chief likes the green timothy hay. I will order some of this hay later today instead of the Science Selective as it is cheaper per kgs and if you and other members of RU use it the hay must be good..

Thank you once again for your help in this Omi.

I apologise that I may have missed replying on your thread properly as my head is all over the place atm but I have read your post.

I looked at the willow you suggested plus the timothy hay. The willow branches sound nice for them so we are ordering some. They do have a couple of willow toys atm. One of them is a ball with very thick willow. They are taking ages with this one. Is it better that the willow is thick like that? We did buy a willow tunnel with thinner willow and Chief and Lils chewed it apart in 2-3 days and cost us £25. But this willow ball on the other hand is taking ages for them to eat and was around £10 I think. I hope the willow they cut for us will be fairly thick so they get some benefit as they chew it.

Those toys look a fantastic deal aswell and a good size for my buns. We will get some next month for them as we are ordering the timothy hay and willow branches this month.

What timothy hay would you suggest of the 3 types? I would say probably not the soft hay. They also offer brown, mature stalky timothy hay. Would that be best or is the timothy hay shown first stalky enough? I know Chief likes the green timothy hay. I will order some of this hay later today instead of the Science Selective as it is cheaper per kgs and if you and other members of RU use it the hay must be good..

Thank you once again for your help in this Omi.
Re the hay, my rabbits won't eat soft hay, so I have to get some that's stalky. They also like it green, like Mischief as well. I've never tried this company's mature stalky hay, as it's described as brown and I don't think they would like it as much. I find this one to be long, green, stalky strands with a small amount of leaf and seed heads and so it fits what my rabbits like.
https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/copy-of-2015-10kg-of-timothy-hay The company is also very pleasant to deal with.

Re the place selling willow sticks, I have absolutely no experience of this company. I also have no experience buying willow :D I know though if I were thinking of buying some I would prefer to get it from a small company, who cut their own. I think also that as they cut to order, you could stipulate whether you wanted thick or thin sticks. I couldn't find any mention of how many sticks you get per batch. I imagine it might be determined by weight. I also couldn't find any mention about delivery charges, but again I imagine that would depend on the weight and so it would be added when you order. I hadn't looked before, but they also have a shop, where they have other forage items. From what I can determine, they are selling what they call fresh willow, which are the thin branches, willow sticks, which can vary in diameter and willow chew logs, which are really chunky. Make sure you order the type you want. Also the willow is all freshly cut, so will weigh heavier (mor moisture content) than the dry sticks available elsewhere. If the delivery charge seems a lot, maybe consider getting two batches to make it more worthwhile. If you do get some, maybe you could post a pic on the forum together with your views on the willow, just in case others might also be interested.

Thanks again Omi for this. Yes the green hay looks lovely for them so that is what I will get to try at least to start with.

I will also discuss the willow and other types of sticks they have and explain they are giant buns as maybe that will make a difference what cuts suit them best.
I will of course put a post up for everyone to read.

I feel like the stress of Lillabelle's spay and them losing weight has gone so much as they are eating more hay already and we are giving them their pellets by hand instead of treats so we can control how quickly they eat them as Chief can suck up loads of pellets like a hoover in one go. We are going to get snuffle mats but I haven't had much time to do thar yet as been babysitting at my daughters to help out. My OH is home with the buns so works out fine.

Lillabelle is eating almost like she normally does and pooping and weeing well so that is good aswell 😍

I just wanted to let you all know that the timothy hay came on Friday. It is so green and spiky and has what we call 'pussy willows' in it that Chief loves. We used to feed them to him when he was a baby. Unfortunately that hay was stopped from our local horse feed shop. I don't know what they are called though.

Our two love it! I leave some on a tray as a treat and they have been eating the lot. And leaving most of the hay in the bags/hay rack. I think they prefer hay in the ground but we will keep leaving some clean hay in hay bags next to the litter tray as well.

But thank you to Omi for the link as they are now eating more hay because of it. I will do a post on the willow sticks when it arrives which should be next week some time.

Back