• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay day - Weds 14-May-14 - U/D: Call the fashion police! #42

Oh bless her, she does look rather annoyed. Is she still on metacam for pain? Her stitches may be feeling uncomfortable, that could be one reason why she did it. Here's a link to an old thread about how people protected their bunnies wounds :thumb: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...d-on-protecting-her-wound&highlight=Vest+spay
The biggest problem with the plastic buster collars is they can't usually reach to eat their ceacal droppings.

Hope she is feeling better soon :thumb:

Oh dear, she's not impressed at all! :lol: watch your fingers at dinner time, you might get savaged in revenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh bless her, she does look rather annoyed. Is she still on metacam for pain? Her stitches may be feeling uncomfortable, that could be one reason why she did it. Here's a link to an old thread about how people protected their bunnies wounds :thumb: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...d-on-protecting-her-wound&highlight=Vest+spay
The biggest problem with the plastic buster collars is they can't usually reach to eat their ceacal droppings.

Hope she is feeling better soon :thumb:

Actually, so far, touch wood, she's taken to it surprisingly well (but it's only four hours since fitting). Though I'm afraid I couldn't hold back a snigger when she first tried to wash her face with her front paws.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on her to see how it goes but certainly for me this is a much less stressful situation than seeing a wound going downhill rather than healing. I'll look at the buster collar alternatives.

I should point out that, apart from fiddling with the wound, in all other respects (eating, pooing, chewing, exploring etc.) she's absolutely normal

Thanks for pointing out the ceacal issue. Saved me from a smelly surprise.

Yes she's been on Metacam the whole time and that's now been extended with the addition of a course of Baytril.

Vet follow-up booked for Sunday.

It's not been a good day again. Sugar managed to get out of her buster collar.

I suspect I am to blame as I might have unwittingly unclicked one of the straps last night when I was cleaning off the caecotrophs than she'd gotten stuck to it attempting to re-ingest.

Found her at 5am this morning bouncing around having removed more stitches and the glue from yesterday. The wound was open about 10mm in diameter.
A trip to the vets where they put staples to hold her together, more glue and a bandage.

1pm: Sugar out of her collar again. I'd not re-fitted it properly. All stitches, staples, glue and dressing gnawed off. Wound now fully open about 20mm and a right mess.
Back to the vets where we decided the best thing was to put her back under GA, clean her up thoroughly and re-stitch.

Due to pick her up at 7pm assuming all goes well.

Rabbit and human both very stressed. :( Human feeling a bit of an idiot :(

It's not been a good day again. Sugar managed to get out of her buster collar.

I suspect I am to blame as I might have unwittingly unclicked one of the straps last night when I was cleaning off the caecotrophs than she'd gotten stuck to it attempting to re-ingest.

Found her at 5am this morning bouncing around having removed more stitches and the glue from yesterday. The wound was open about 10mm in diameter.
A trip to the vets where they put staples to hold her together, more glue and a bandage.

1pm: Sugar out of her collar again. I'd not re-fitted it properly. All stitches, staples, glue and dressing gnawed off. Wound now fully open about 20mm and a right mess.
Back to the vets where we decided the best thing was to put her back under GA, clean her up thoroughly and re-stitch.

Due to pick her up at 7pm assuming all goes well.

Rabbit and human both very stressed. :( Human feeling a bit of an idiot :(

Oh no :cry: she is very determined :shock: hope she leaves it alone now. Sometimes you can't stop them no matter how hard you try, you certainly shouldn't feel responsible.

I had exactly the same thing with my Ferne. She pulled all her stitches out after 2 days. She had to have her stitches redone but the vet put extra stitches inside and out just to be sure and sent her home with antibiotics too. She managed to eat ok though. She worked out how to use the collar as a scoop and scooped the pellets into her mouth. Luckily she had the stitches out after 7 days. It was so nice to take the collar away and watch her wash properly.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

She was such a mess when I checked on her at 2am last night. She had loads of sticky poo on her collar where she'd been trying to eat it and poo all over her paws where she'd been trying to wash her face.
So I got the baby wipes out and cleaned her all up and changed the towels she's currently sleeping on. But it seems that I must have un-clicked one of the plastic clips on her collar in the process. And then I didn't refit it tight enough.

My sanity not helped by being awoken at 7am from a horrid, vivid, lucid nightmare where the whole of her underside had opened up showing all her innards and she had to be put to sleep.
Though ironically that did put things into perspective somewhat once I'd unravelled reality from dream-space.

Oh no! Sorry you are having a hard time with Sugar (might have chosen the wrong name) :lol:She looks very beautiful and knows it! :lol: Fingers crossed she will allow herself to heal this time.

I had exactly the same with my Toffee, in the end I made the vet keep her in over night and then they had secured the buster collar with a bit of bandage.
It really isn't very nice to see them stressed out and I remember Toff's third eyelid across and her struggling to clean herself with the collar on.
But the period of stress is worth it for years of happiness. :)

Poor Sugar & poor you! I hope she leaves herself alone soon so she can heal.

Thanks for the messages of support folks, really helped me this afternoon. And good to know that it's not that an uncommon experience.

Sugar is back home and in recovery suite MK II. Fast asleep.

She's been flushed out, trimmed back and re-stitched back together with old-fashioned, big, individual, external stitches.

So, essentially, we're back to where we were on the evening of a week last Wednesday.
Apart from the fact that I'm going to be cleaning her bottom for the next two weeks! (due to the the 'buster')

Edward took me the vet again today. As usual they rolled me over and prodded my tummy which I'm not very keen on but I always try to be well-behaved at the vet compared to the fuss I make at home to try to show Edward up. The vet said my wound MKII was looking really good, not sore at all.

She said she'd take the stitches out in 7 days. But then she said I'd have to keep this stupid collar on till then to stop me doing it myself. I was furious! I tried to scratch her really hard. There was blood! But it turned out to be mine. I'd torn my left thumb claw right off. Oww!

WP_20140528_001.jpg

WP_20140525_003.jpg

Sugar

Dear Sugar,

I know you think Edward was excessively mean taking you to the vet to be messed with, but he was doing it for your own good.

Please now listen to him and be a good girl. That unsightly collar will be off before you know it!

Much love

dizzyg

ps: you're very beautiful. :love::love:

Oh dear, you and Sugar have been through the wars! She is one hell of a determined bunny but I guess you already know that :lol:

Wishing Sugar lots of healing vibes and hoping *you* can get some rest without gruesome nightmares :shock:

It will all be so worth it when it's all healed up and she can meet a fella :love:

Hi Sugar,

Next time, just bite the vet - much better results & less risk of injury to you!! Oh and bite your hoomin slave too at every opportunity to pay him back!

Love Slipper

Oh dear sugar, sounds awful. I do think you should cut human slave a bit of slack though, this is all new to them too, are you trying to put them off ever going through this again? :shock:

Don't worry, I'm fine. I've been asleep all day as usual. Shame it's too wet to go outside.

Slipper, Hi!, like your attitude! I've decided not to bite Edward for a while as he's been scooping my yummy poos up in the middle of the night and feeding them to me on a spoon and then wiping my bottom clean. And whenever I look restless he's been hand feeding me sprigs of delicious fresh cut herbs as he's worried I find eating hay too much bother with this collar on. I've lost some weight over the last two weeks. So generally I'm feeling very pampered.

Edward keeps showing me a photo of some other bunny called Bramble. He say's he's waiting to meet me. Not sure I like the look of him but I've asked Edward to have him make a compilation tape of some trax he thinks are dope so I can see if he's on my wavelength.

In other news, Edward's just told me he's ordered me a special present via Amazon. He won't tell me what it is but he says it's being delivered tomorrow though he's worried that it might not be the right size. Should I be worried? Hmmmm...

Sugar

Last edited:
Don't worry, I'm fine. I've been asleep all day as usual. Shame it's too wet to go outside.

Slipper, Hi!, like your attitude! I've decided not to bite Edward for a while as he's been scooping my yummy poos up in the middle of the night and feeding them to me on a spoon and then wiping my bottom clean. And whenever I look restless he's been hand feeding me sprigs of delicious fresh cut herbs as he's worried I find eating hay too much bother with this collar on. I've lost some weight over the last two weeks. So generally I'm feeling very pampered.

Edward keeps showing me a photo of some other bunny called Bramble. He say's he's waiting to meet me. Not sure I like the look of him but I've asked Edward to have him make a compilation tape of some trax he thinks are dope so I can see if he's on my wavelength.

In other news, Edward's just told me he's ordered me a special present via Amazon. He won't tell me what it is but he says it's being delivered tomorrow though he's worried that it might not be the right size. Should I be worried? Hmmmm...

Sugar

Good Lord she's got you round her little toe hasn't she ;):lol::lol:

Back