• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spay a bunny who’s partner is having to wait?

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with your vets :( I would double check the name of the injection, it may be vetergesic or buprecare. I personally aren't keen on its use in rabbits in this circumstance as it may cause her to be more groggy as you've said and may also slow the gut down. I hope they both improve throughout the day with your care, you're doing very well. I've only had two rabbits spayed, both home with metacam, the first only ate small bits of things for the first few days and was rather quiet. The one I've just had done was eating straight away and trying to run around as if nothings happened, each rabbit will react differently. Bigwig had an injection of carprieve (anti-inflammatory) which I've never come across as being used in rabbits before, so this also may be something your vets are considering as the injection??

OK, take some deep breaths. Are they both nibbling a bit and producing a some poo and wee ? If so that is great. Remember, less than 24 hours ago they both had a major operation. How many woman would be up for a lot of activity and a good meal less than 24 hours after a hysteroctomy ?

I know all too well how stressful it is when nursing a post neuter Bunny. We feel we have put them through a painful procedure when they were not ill beforehand. But it really is in their best interests in the long run.

Try to be as relaxed as possible around them. Just let them rest and as long as there is a bit of food going in and poo coming out try not to get upset.

I often find that post GA Bunnies prefer foods they may not always have. I dont know if some fresh herbs such as coriander have been suggested, I have not read all of the posts on this thread. Also, a tiny amount of 'treat food' may tempt them. Some Baby food Veg puree, a few bits of dried banana, dried apple. If you can find any fresh grass then a hand full of that.

The girls will pick up, but they are unlikely to be 100% back to normal for a couple more days

Sending supportive hugs to you xx
This is bang on too!

I've had a real range, I've had 5 girl bunnies in total, first took a week to become herself again, second sprung back to normal the night we got her home [emoji849] Clementine spoils me tbh [emoji38] third wouldn't eat for like 2 weeks alone was a right nightmare.

4&5 are my white bunny sisters - one wasn't good for a week, the other was basically fine after a few days

So I think it really varies, and a few days to a week I'd say is pretty normal :)

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with your vets :( I would double check the name of the injection, it may be vetergesic or buprecare. I personally aren't keen on its use in rabbits in this circumstance as it may cause her to be more groggy as you've said and may also slow the gut down. I hope they both improve throughout the day with your care, you're doing very well. I've only had two rabbits spayed, both home with metacam, the first only ate small bits of things for the first few days and was rather quiet. The one I've just had done was eating straight away and trying to run around as if nothings happened, each rabbit will react differently. Bigwig had an injection of carprieve (anti-inflammatory) which I've never come across as being used in rabbits before, so this also may be something your vets are considering as the injection??

This is exactly what I said in an earlier post, and I agree, we can't expect them to bounce back after the operation.

If they are nibbling stuff and being syringe fed, and given Metacam (albeit once daily) then they perhaps need a bit of time to 'get going'.

You will get all differing opinions and experiences on a Forum such as this - Metacam once daily/twice daily etc, and it can become even more panic-inducing!

If they go back in to the vet, they will possibly have an injection of Vetergesic, which although a good pain killer can make some rabbits very sleepy. They will have already had sleep inducing agents most likely including Vetergesic for their spay.

OK, take some deep breaths. Are they both nibbling a bit and producing a some poo and wee ? If so that is great. Remember, less than 24 hours ago they both had a major operation. How many woman would be up for a lot of activity and a good meal less than 24 hours after a hysteroctomy ?

I know all too well how stressful it is when nursing a post neuter Bunny. We feel we have put them through a painful procedure when they were not ill beforehand. But it really is in their best interests in the long run.

Try to be as relaxed as possible around them. Just let them rest and as long as there is a bit of food going in and poo coming out try not to get upset.

I often find that post GA Bunnies prefer foods they may not always have. I dont know if some fresh herbs such as coriander have been suggested, I have not read all of the posts on this thread. Also, a tiny amount of 'treat food' may tempt them. Some Baby food Veg puree, a few bits of dried banana, dried apple. If you can find any fresh grass then a hand full of that.

The girls will pick up, but they are unlikely to be 100% back to normal for a couple more days

Sending supportive hugs to you xx

To be honest Harlequin isn’t really a concern at the moment she’s nibbling lots and weeing for Britain she’s up and about a lot as well.

Beauty is spending a lot of time still sleeping and loafing and ocashnally laying on her side ocashnally which she doesnt usherly do. She’s nibbling a bit but not pooped much at all for an hour although she’s been sleeping most of it.

My mum certainly was not up and about 24hrs after her hysterectomy.

I know it was the best thing to do and don’t regret it I just panick and spook really easily.

They have a small pile of foridge a hay cookie hay a small piece of apple as well as apple sticks and pellets which have all been nibbled on. All the fresh herbs have been eaten. I have some grass we’re growing. Will try her with that now.

I think I’m worrying so much because they are both recovering so difrently.

Thank you Jacks-Jane

Yea that vetergesic stuff is a blessing and a curse imo... [emoji38] Really not what you want if you're trying to get a bunny to eat, imo and ime.

It's difficult with vets that aren't rabbit savvy :( I'd definitely take them back in for an injection if they won't cooperate on metacam.. Is it the cat metacam they have?

Because stress is bad, but pain after a major op is definitely not going to be nice :(

Its difficult Lisa, and please don't feel like you haven't done enough! You're a great bunny mum :) vets are just a pain [emoji38]

I will ask what they will give but if it’s the vetergesic I will ask for some thing else that doesn’t make bunny’s drowsy.

I don’t think this vets is although they say they have a rabbit savvy vet Iv not experienced them.

It’s the dog metacam.

I’m going to give her the grass and give it an hour if no improvement I’ll take her back in.

I don’t think that pain is good either it’s just she’s been through so much in the last few weeks.

Thank you Gracie. It’s one big learning curve. Just wish I could find a rabbit savvy vet close enough to get to but as I don’t drive that might be an impossibility.

Topping up the vibes for them both. Do you have any readigrass? Back when I had 2 sisters spayed, they enjoyed that, and also do you have access to any blackberry leaves and dandelion or plantain leaves, my bunny Frosty liked them when he was recovering from his dental. His favourite baby food is the Aldi pouch apple carrot and parsnip : thumb: I hope after another day they are feeling better. Beauty sounds relaxed at any rate :thumb:

Thank you zoobec. We have a few things you have mentioned all in her pen at the moment.

I’m sorry if any one thinks I’m being a pain. Being my first time with rabbits my anxiety issues are intensifying :(

Thank you zoobec. We have a few things you have mentioned all in her pen at the moment.

I’m sorry if any one thinks I’m being a pain. Being my first time with rabbits my anxiety issues are intensifying :(
You're not being a pain at all! Please don't feel like you are, you should've seen my threads at the beginning [emoji38] I needed constant reassurance and support [emoji38]

Is she nibbling by herself yet? Is she pooping? (sorry if you've already said)

You're not being a pain at all! Please don't feel like you are, you should've seen my threads at the beginning [emoji38] I needed constant reassurance and support [emoji38]

Is she nibbling by herself yet? Is she pooping? (sorry if you've already said)

Thank you for the reasurance. Iv not slept in roughly 36hrs either so that’s prob not helping.

She’s nibbling extreamilly tiny bits and she’s pooped once but they were so small.
I’m also syringe feeding.

Thank you for the reasurance. Iv not slept in roughly 36hrs either so that’s prob not helping.

She’s nibbling extreamilly tiny bits and she’s pooped once but they were so small.
I’m also syringe feeding.

Yea makes everything worse doesn't it!

Is she on any gut stimulants?

Has she only pooped once since coming home yesterday evening? If that's the case and she's not on gut stimulants I'd call the vet and take her back for more painkillers and gut stimulants personally. It's good she's nibbling etc but I'd expect to see some output even if they're small, especially with the syringe feeding etc.

Lots of hugs xx

Yea makes everything worse doesn't it!

Is she on any gut stimulants?

Has she only pooped once since coming home yesterday evening? If that's the case and she's not on gut stimulants I'd call the vet and take her back for more painkillers and gut stimulants personally. It's good she's nibbling etc but I'd expect to see some output even if they're small, especially with the syringe feeding etc.

Lots of hugs xx

It never helps but couldn’t sleep. The bonus is now the flat is spotless lol

Thats the thing she was pooping and eating more last night but it was the sudden almost no poop (if that makes sense) and decline in eating. She had gut stimulants yesterday whilst at the vets.

It never helps but couldn’t sleep. The bonus is now the flat is spotless lol

Thats the thing she was pooping and eating more last night but it was the sudden almost no poop (if that makes sense) and decline in eating. She had gut stimulants yesterday whilst at the vets.
She may need some more, plus pain management, hard to say, I think I'd take her back to the vets personally xx

She may need some more, plus pain management, hard to say, I think I'd take her back to the vets personally xx

Morning Graciee. We did go back to the vets yesterday and I refused the painkiller but the vet after a bit of me explaining did allow me to up the dose of the metacam to 0.7 ml instead of the 0.25 she was on. She also did get the gut stimulants as she was full of poop.

She’s livened up after the higher dose of metacam she’s eating a bit more and she’s pooped a bit through the night so there’s inprovement 🙂

Morning Graciee. We did go back to the vets yesterday and I refused the painkiller but the vet after a bit of me explaining did allow me to up the dose of the metacam to 0.7 ml instead of the 0.25 she was on. She also did get the gut stimulants as she was full of poop.

She’s livened up after the higher dose of metacam she’s eating a bit more and she’s pooped a bit through the night so there’s inprovement [emoji846]
Ah I'm so glad :D here's hoping she picks up more and more now.

You're doing an awesome job :) xx

She’s livened up after the higher dose of metacam she’s eating a bit more and she’s pooped a bit through the night so there’s inprovement 🙂

Well done you :D

I think it's great to speak up on behalf of our rabbits - now we just have to speak up on behalf of ourselves at doctors and hospitals!

Ah I'm so glad :D here's hoping she picks up more and more now.

You're doing an awesome job :) xx

Thank you Graciee 🙂

She’s getting some of her sas back and waiting till I’ve given her all the critical care then spitting it out at me. Just can’t be angry with that cutsy face looking so sad in the bunni burito.

Well done you :D

I think it's great to speak up on behalf of our rabbits - now we just have to speak up on behalf of ourselves at doctors and hospitals!

Thank you MightyMax. It’s some thing I find incredably difficult and untill now Iv only managed to do it for my daughter but I couldn’t let it go with the beauty eaither.

I think when it comes to humans it’s so much more difficult but I agree we should.

Quick question. If some thing is being mentioned and given as off licence should have I filled in a form?

I had so much on my mind and Brandi with me at the vets trying to eagerly talk I forgot to ask whilst there.

Quick question. If some thing is being mentioned and given as off licence should have I filled in a form?

I had so much on my mind and Brandi with me at the vets trying to eagerly talk I forgot to ask whilst there.
Nah it just means it isn't licensed for bunnies, but I don't think any medication is? Could be wrong, but it's normal and I've never had to sign anything :)

She’s livened up after the higher dose of metacam she’s eating a bit more and she’s pooped a bit through the night so there’s inprovement ��

Great news! Xx

Nah it just means it isn't licensed for bunnies, but I don't think any medication is? Could be wrong, but it's normal and I've never had to sign anything :)

Yes some meds are licensed for rabbits - e.g. Baytril, but many are off- license.

Some vets have you sign a consent form, and it's probably good practice, but a lot don't!

Back