• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spay a bunny who’s partner is having to wait?

Sending lots of vibes for your two girlies. I hope they are recovering well.

I hope they are home and doing well, sending lots of vibes for them xx

Thank you for the vibes they are much appreciated by both girls.

Currently syringe feeding as they are nibbling but it’s no where near enough. Harlequin is up and about and quiet active where as Beauty is still sleepy but we will get their.

MightyMax.

We came home with both. Will give the first dose of metacam when I syringe feed. I was told just 1 dose a day so will be same time each night. Appointment for Monday :)

MightyMax.

We came home with both. Will give the first dose of metacam when I syringe feed. I was told just 1 dose a day so will be same time each night. Appointment for Monday :)
Up to you, but I'd call tomorrow and get the vet to work out dosages for giving it twice a day.

Bunnies metabolise meds quicker than a cat or dog supposedly (might wanna check that's correct) so it's suggested pain meds be given twice a day.. Is your vet rabbit savvy? :)

Ime my girls have often needed additional pain killers too after being spayed, yours may not, but I definitely would want to be giving metacam twice daily as minimum.

Up to you, but I'd call tomorrow and get the vet to work out dosages for giving it twice a day.

Bunnies metabolise meds quicker than a cat or dog supposedly (might wanna check that's correct) so it's suggested pain meds be given twice a day.. Is your vet rabbit savvy? :)

Ime my girls have often needed additional pain killers too after being spayed, yours may not, but I definitely would want to be giving metacam twice daily as minimum.

My (rabbit savvy vet) prescribes a metacam dose twice a day too, gives much better pain relief coverage imo.

MightyMax.

I hope they begin to eat more and poo lots for you overnight.

I take what Grace has said about the Metacam, but many vets prefer to give it once daily only.

Hi Lisa,

Glad they are back home, and all went okay. I found that my bunny only regained her appetite after 2 days, so it will take a few days. Also my vet prescribed Winnie with a once daily dose of Metacam, and she was fine. I guess it depends on the vet.

I will PM- apologies have had a long week!

Xx

I hope they begin to eat more and poo lots for you overnight.

I take what Grace has said about the Metacam, but many vets prefer to give it once daily only.
Yea it's up to you and your vet, I just think twice daily is better personally :)

Thanks every one I was thinking I had heard people talking about giving metacam twice a day for the reasons mentioned.
I asked the vetanary nurse and she said only once a day or I would be overdosing the girls. The thing that gets me is I still have the last bottle from a previous vets and that is prescribed at twice the dose of todays but even though it was prescribed once a day it helped at that level. Will be ringing them and asking for them to review it. Beauty is definantly not her self so I’m thinking a higher dose twice a day would be good if the vet agrees

I agree with Gracie on obtaining twice a day dosage. In my experience it can last longer than 12 hours, yet less than 24 hours. Depending on the degree of discomfort/inflammation your bunny is having you may need to dose twice a day.
Also, if you have an individual who is having a lot of discomfort, it may be good to ask about the level of dosing. Some bunnies do not need as high a dose to get relief, yet it is good to know if you can give more for a day or two, if necessary. I have been told that giving a high dose longer term can cause harm to their organs.

Thanks every one I was thinking I had heard people talking about giving metacam twice a day for the reasons mentioned.
I asked the vetanary nurse and she said only once a day or I would be overdosing the girls. The thing that gets me is I still have the last bottle from a previous vets and that is prescribed at twice the dose of todays but even though it was prescribed once a day it helped at that level. Will be ringing them and asking for them to review it. Beauty is definantly not her self so I’m thinking a higher dose twice a day would be good if the vet agrees

My vet adjusts the dosage according to the amount of perceived pain and also to take into account it’s being given twice a day,so as not to overdose. She is happy to prescribe in the upper range of recommended dosage for short term use. I hope that Beauty will soon be feeling better, topping up the vibes xx

Sending more recovery vibes to your two girlies. I hope they start to eat a bit more soon.

Will definantly be ringing back up as soon as they open today.
They are both nibbling on hay and hay cookies but it’s just the odd nibble here and there and neither are really pooping much. On top of that they are fighting the syringe feeding im doing every 3 hours.

The last time it was prescribed for beauty 0.5mls once a day for stasis and she was much smaller this vet has prescribed 0.25ml one a day for the spay.
I really don’t think this dose is doing much for especilly beauty.

Spoke to the receptionist who spoke to the vet and I was told under no circumstances were they to have any more then what’s on the label.
Although this vet was not the one who I spoke to and did the spay. Was advised to take them in for an injection of some thing else.

I don’t want to stress them out any further as Beauty really doesn’t deal with stress verry well and going out of the house always has negative effects. so I’m going to wait and see if there is an inprovement in the next few hours and if I see no improvement then I will :( Between the syringe feeding, spay yesterday, hormoans and being seperated I think they have enough stress.

Feeling quiet an inadiquate bun mum at the moment. This is the 3rd vets we have tried in my area to find a suitable one and no luck yet

:(

I'm really sorry you're not having much luck with getting a higher dosage. I've found that some vets really do put their foot down on not giving a higher dose of pain relief even when we can see that what they have isn't enough to keep on top of the pain.

I hope they show some improvement over the next few hours. Just to give you a heads up if you do need to take them in. The vet may be planning on giving them an injection of vetergesic. It's a strong opiate which can really zonk some bunnies out. Consequently they may be even more quiet and subdued afterwards.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Spoke to the receptionist who spoke to the vet and I was told under no circumstances were they to have any more then what’s on the label.
Although this vet was not the one who I spoke to and did the spay. Was advised to take them in for an injection of some thing else.

I don’t want to stress them out any further as Beauty really doesn’t deal with stress verry well and going out of the house always has negative effects. so I’m going to wait and see if there is an inprovement in the next few hours and if I see no improvement then I will :( Between the syringe feeding, spay yesterday, hormoans and being seperated I think they have enough stress.

Feeling quiet an inadiquate bun mum at the moment. This is the 3rd vets we have tried in my area to find a suitable one and no luck yet

:(

Hi Lisa

You are so NOT inadequate! Rabbits often take several days to eat again after a spay s don't take this on yourself. Even with adequate pain relief this can happen.

Can you get some tempting stuff for them that won't upset their stomachs? I know herbs aren't always the best thing for your two, but a treat or a pinch of porridge oats maybe? x

I'm really sorry you're not having much luck with getting a higher dosage. I've found that some vets really do put their foot down on not giving a higher dose of pain relief even when we can see that what they have isn't enough to keep on top of the pain.

I hope they show some improvement over the next few hours. Just to give you a heads up if you do need to take them in. The vet may be planning on giving them an injection of vetergesic. It's a strong opiate which can really zonk some bunnies out. Consequently they may be even more quiet and subdued afterwards.

This one really have put their foot down. It makes me sad that they seem to feel like stressing them them out and wanting them in all the time.

Iv tried looking on the RAWF ( and other suggested) website for a rabbit savvy vet but there’s nothing listed near by and as I have to travel by public transport the nearest ones would take so long to get to. Also searched google but only found dog and cat vets.

If I do have to take them in then I would ring first. I can’t remember what they said they would give or even if they did give the name ( Iv not been to sleep in over 24hrs) but as Beauty is still a bit groggy from the anasetic yesterday and her eating is so precarious at the moment I wouldn’t want any thing else that makes her more groggy.

This one really have put their foot down. It makes me sad that they seem to feel like stressing them them out and wanting them in all the time.

Iv tried looking on the RAWF ( and other suggested) website for a rabbit savvy vet but there’s nothing listed near by and as I have to travel by public transport the nearest ones would take so long to get to. Also searched google but only found dog and cat vets.

If I do have to take them in then I would ring first. I can’t remember what they said they would give or even if they did give the name ( Iv not been to sleep in over 24hrs) but as Beauty is still a bit groggy from the anasetic yesterday and her eating is so precarious at the moment I wouldn’t want any thing else that makes her more groggy.

OK, take some deep breaths. Are they both nibbling a bit and producing a some poo and wee ? If so that is great. Remember, less than 24 hours ago they both had a major operation. How many woman would be up for a lot of activity and a good meal less than 24 hours after a hysteroctomy ?

I know all too well how stressful it is when nursing a post neuter Bunny. We feel we have put them through a painful procedure when they were not ill beforehand. But it really is in their best interests in the long run.

Try to be as relaxed as possible around them. Just let them rest and as long as there is a bit of food going in and poo coming out try not to get upset.

I often find that post GA Bunnies prefer foods they may not always have. I dont know if some fresh herbs such as coriander have been suggested, I have not read all of the posts on this thread. Also, a tiny amount of 'treat food' may tempt them. Some Baby food Veg puree, a few bits of dried banana, dried apple. If you can find any fresh grass then a hand full of that.

The girls will pick up, but they are unlikely to be 100% back to normal for a couple more days

Sending supportive hugs to you xx

Yea that vetergesic stuff is a blessing and a curse imo... [emoji38] Really not what you want if you're trying to get a bunny to eat, imo and ime.

It's difficult with vets that aren't rabbit savvy :( I'd definitely take them back in for an injection if they won't cooperate on metacam.. Is it the cat metacam they have?

Because stress is bad, but pain after a major op is definitely not going to be nice :(

Its difficult Lisa, and please don't feel like you haven't done enough! You're a great bunny mum :) vets are just a pain [emoji38]

Back