• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore shut eye turns out to be an ulcer

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
I thought I'd wright this just for reference, I couldn't find anything in the search about the subject.

Harvey was exhibiting a sore eye on the 10th. His eye was squeezed shut, his lids pink and the tissue surrounding his eye was swollen. There was no discharge, and he was on Baytril at the time due to a post neuter infection.

As his demeanor was dramatically different from his usual bouncy self, I took him to the vets. Unfortunately the vet forgot to carry out a Fluoresenin test, and so prescribed an eye cream used for eye infections. Apparently this was the correct procedure for the condition it turned out to be.

By the 12th a large white area had appeared on his eye, covering most of the lens and concentrated in the centre. Back to the vets a floresein test reveals quite a nasty ulcer on his eye, quite deep and with 'fringes'. I was told that because I had acted quickly, catching it early there was a good chance Harvey would not loose the eye.

His eye drops were changed at this point from Fucithalmic viscous eye drops to Tiacil Ophthalmic Solution. I was advised to administer 1 drop into the infected eye every 6-8 hours an given more Baytril. We have been doing 1 drop every 6 hours.

On return to the vets on the 7th we could see, with another Floresein test, that the ulcer has reduced dramatically in size. :) From an original 6mm diameter it had reduced to one around 2.5mm which was still quite deep but a lot smaller and with a pit, or crater on the surface of the eye, and one shallow ulcer at about 2mm in diameter. A massive improvement.

I have another appointment tomorrow to check the progress, but the important thing here was early action, which prevented a potentially devastating outcome. I did consider leaving it until the morning, and that maybe he just got salt in it from the salt lick as there was nothing to indicate anything too serious from the look of his eye, but his sullen body language set off warning bells. Even tho he was eating, drinking and pooing normally he was quiet and solitary where he is normally outgoing and a little monkey!

I will update on progress tomorrow for the record.

Last edited:
I'm just back from the vets, another floro test has revealed the eye continues to heal well. There is now just one ulcer, it is 1mm i diameter, it's not as deep and the crater is reduced.

Hopefully the vet will sign this off in 5 days time.:D

I hope this info will help someone else.

Over and out.

Very useful info, thank you for posting. :love:

I'm glad the problem was treated early and hope Harvey continues to improve. :D:love:

Back