• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks that have opened up and started bleeding?

Graciee

Staff member
Anything I can do? :/

My vet mentioned prep h? Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
it never rains but it pours. Sorry you've a hocks issue, I've not experienced bleeding ones but for nowI'd put a cotton duvet or something down as flooring & maybe just feed hay from racks. Lots of vibes. Hope you get advice soon xx

it never rains but it pours. Sorry you've a hocks issue, I've not experienced bleeding ones but for nowI'd put a cotton duvet or something down as flooring & maybe just feed hay from racks. Lots of vibes. Hope you get advice soon xx

Yea it's madness honestly [emoji58]

Clementines feet look so sore idek where they've come from, honestly I last checked her feet 2 weeks ago, Idk how this has happened?! She's had the starting ones for ages, but these aren't them and these are way worse :( not the best picture
a78c28f9681a1eb33f360484b29c9d28.jpg

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

Or

https://active-silver.co.uk/products/colloidal-silver-magic-gel-jars-25ml-and-80ml

+ oral Meloxicam

Had limited success with haemorrhoid creams or ointments

After years of using Flamazine with good results the last time I used it the Rabbit developed neurological symptoms ( he kept licking his hocks) so would be wary of using it again. I use Sudocrem for him now which is helping, alongside oral Meloxicam.

Ah thanks Jane, do they need wrapping after any of those are applied? We have sudacreme here so I'll put that on now but can order those other two to try.

If she ingests any of them is it okay? She's a bit of a nightmare for stuff like that.

I'll get her an appointment to get loxicom asap too. Do you think it's possible to heal these? I feel so bad I had no idea they were there :( they just aren't in her normal place and even though she sploots loads they're hard to see unless you're right up close :( I did a thorough foot inspection 2 weeks ago tho and they definitely weren't there.. I'm wondering if the extra stalky hay has caused problems

Would Fucidin help? I have unopened tubes of it that were prescribed for Evelyn? Idk if that's safe tho tbh

Thus far I have not had any issues should Bunny ingest a small amount of the Derbeymed, Colloidal Silver or Sudocrem.

I can’t use dressings on JJ as he goes completely nuts until he has ripped them off. Then the stress from that sends him into gut stasis :roll:

I used dressings on Lady Lydia for years, her hocks were often open wounds. She tolerated dressings well, in fact I think she appreciated them as I made a sort of corn plaster pad to go under the bandages. So the sores were not in contact with anything, IYSWIM.

Clementine’s hocks might never fur over again, but if you can get the skin to heal and harden a bit then infection is less likely to occur.

I remember Treacle having this once. I went into her room and there was a trail of blood, just from a little patch on her hock. Lots of extra fleeces and sudacrem sorted her out. I hope you can treat Clementine at home x

Thanks everyone! I've put some sudacreme on her as we have it here already so hopefully that helps til we can get something ordered for her, I haven't wrapped them, I know how that'll go [emoji51] I gave her nails a little trim whilst I was there too, but they weren't very long could only take a teeny bit off, but I figured best to keep them short rn.

Hoping we can get it under control for her, her normal ones which all my rabbits have near the heal on one side? They look the same as always, it's these new ones in the middle of her feet which are odd!

Sending Clementine more vibes. I've never heard of sore hocks in the middle of their feet; I didn't know that could even happen. I hope the sudacreme will help her.

Thanks everyone xx
Sending Clementine more vibes. I've never heard of sore hocks in the middle of their feet; I didn't know that could even happen. I hope the sudacreme will help her.
Yea me either! I'm really confused how they've happened tbh and out of nowhere? Does anyone know how this happens? [emoji51]

I wonder if they're maybe not sore hocks, but normal wounds because she stepped on something that hurt her feet?
Yea maybe! I can't think what tho tbh [emoji51] this place is pretty safe underfoot because I walk everywhere barefoot and so does Evelyn [emoji51] so I make sure everywhere is hoovered and clear of stuff daily tbh.. The only thing they have that we don't walk on is their cage where I put all their hay etc. I've been feeding extra stalky Timothy hay for the last 2 weeks ish? Which they've been going made for, they do end up walking on it too maybe that's caused an issue? I really don't know tbh

Unless Clementine has stepped on lego [emoji38] a daily occurance for me [emoji38]

Hm, I wouldn't think hay could hurt their feet... I think Lego is actually more likely than that. [emoji38]
Lego bloody hurts [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

This hay is really sharp that's the only thing I'm thinking, but yea seems unlikely doesn't it

Lego bloody hurts [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

This hay is really sharp that's the only thing I'm thinking, but yea seems unlikely doesn't it

I know. :lol:

If it's really sharp then maybe...? But you'd think that if that's the case she'd have wounds on her actual hocks, too, probably? Unless the skin is tougher there or something...

Back