• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hock treatment

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I was cutting a bit of fur off Lilac's tail yesterday as it had got a bit matted. She has had tiny sore hock marks for a while but when I asked the vet about them he said to leave them as they weren't bothering her. I noticed one has got worse and is about 1 cm long, weirdly the surrounding fur has sort of grown sideways over the area so is almost protecting it, I almost didn't see it as a result. I hunted around for some sudocrem as a temporary measure but can't find any, and I'm at work today so can't get to the shops. I randomly have a brand new tube of bepanthen (no idea why), would it be suitable to use this as a temporary measure until I can get some sudocrem? Obviously if it gets any worse she'll be straight to the vet. I hate treating her for anything as she fights like a little demon and stresses herself out so much [emoji852]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Personally I do not use Sudocrem on sore hocks as IME it can make things worse.Although I know many Vets recommend it. I just base my opinion on having kept Rexes for 24 years, Rexes are very prone to Sore Hocks.

I would not use Bepanthem either

I have found this product to be very beneficial

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

What substrate does Lilac spend most time on ? Addressing the primary cause of the problem is obviously as important as treating the problem.

Flamazine is quite good, but it is a POM

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/skin-hair/a6737/flamazine-cream-silver-sulfadiazine/

Personally I do not use Sudocrem on sore hocks as IME it can make things worse.Although I know many Vets recommend it. I just base my opinion on having kept Rexes for 24 years, Rexes are very prone to Sore Hocks.

I would not use Bepanthem either

I have found this product to be very beneficial

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

What substrate does Lilac spend most time on ? Addressing the primary cause of the problem is obviously as important as treating the problem.

Flamazine is quite good, but it is a POM

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/skin-hair/a6737/flamazine-cream-silver-sulfadiazine/
Thanks Jane, I'll look into getting some of that spray ASAP. She is free range and we have carpet everywhere, which I know isn't ideal. I do have lots of vet bed so I'll look at putting that down in bits of the house she uses most.

Thanks Jane, I'll look into getting some of that spray ASAP. She is free range and we have carpet everywhere, which I know isn't ideal. I do have lots of vet bed so I'll look at putting that down in bits of the house she uses most.

Cotton sheets are better than Vetbed, IME :)

Just wanted to update this thread, have been using the spray you recommended Jane but no improvement. Tonight I went to put it on Lilac and she went a bit mad afterwards like it was irritating her so I used some wet cotton wool pads to clean it off and I've left her alone for tonight. Looking at her hocks they seem no better but no worse, I will try and get a picture tomorrow. I've seen a lot of threads on here recommending Savlon advanced healing gel, not sure if that is still recommended as a treatment? She gets extremely stressed by being picked up so I don't want to unnecessarily stress her out.

Just wanted to update this thread, have been using the spray you recommended Jane but no improvement. Tonight I went to put it on Lilac and she went a bit mad afterwards like it was irritating her so I used some wet cotton wool pads to clean it off and I've left her alone for tonight. Looking at her hocks they seem no better but no worse, I will try and get a picture tomorrow. I've seen a lot of threads on here recommending Savlon advanced healing gel, not sure if that is still recommended as a treatment? She gets extremely stressed by being picked up so I don't want to unnecessarily stress her out.

I used the SAHG a few years ago. It worked for some Rabbts, not for others.
Flamazine Cream is another possibility, it is a POM

Thanks, I will see how she goes with the cream and make an appointment if there's no improvement. I tried to get a picture but it was too difficult one handed! One foot is just a little round sore and I'm not too worried about that one. The other foot it's a bit bigger and rectangular in shape, although weirdly her fur grows sideways across that foot which provides some protection.

I´m sorry to hear it´s not better! I hope it will be better soon. Walli also has problems with sore hocks :( I have also tried the Derbymed spray and Walli also reacts sometimes just after I have sprayed it, I have tried it on irritated skin on myself and it stings a little but gets better soon so I have continued to use it on him. I don´t know if you already do this but I have found it better not to spray to close to the hock because then the spray doesn´t cover the hock area so well, it just gets wet but no powder covers the hock. When I spray i bit further away (about 30 cm perhaps) I get a much better layer of the powder on the hock (i use a papercloth with hole for the hock so he doesn´t get the spray everywhere on him).

I have also changed the material where he likes to sit to memoryfoam covered by vetbed and then covered by cottonsheat. This has made a difference I think. And I have removed all normal carpet. In the living room we have a really large vetbed ( 1,50 m x 2 m) covered by cotton sheet. And memory foom under the places where he likes to sit on the "carpet". Our guests might thinkt we are a bit mad (but they probably already did anyway:D)

Thanks, I did find that the spray needs to be held quite far away too, she's a cheeky one, she learned to run away when I started shaking the can to avoid it! She would also try and lick her feet afterwards and I'm a bit worried about her ingesting it. I have put cotton sheets all through the main parts of the house where she runs but will put some vet bed down in her favourite spots too. Our carpet is quite old and worn which probably doesn't help!

I understand, Walli hasn´t tried to lick it at least! I hope it will get better for her, it´s so stressing with sore hocks :(

I understand, Walli hasn´t tried to lick it at least! I hope it will get better for her, it´s so stressing with sore hocks :(
He sounds like a good boy! I don't see her licking them at any time other than when I put the spray on, sometimes I wonder if I'm making things worse! She doesn't even like being stroked much so being picked up is quite the ordeal for her, just wish I could tell her it's for her own good.

He sounds like a good boy! I don't see her licking them at any time other than when I put the spray on, sometimes I wonder if I'm making things worse! She doesn't even like being stroked much so being picked up is quite the ordeal for her, just wish I could tell her it's for her own good.

I agree, it would be fantastic if we could tell them it´s for their own good ! Walli is the same, being picked up stresses him out completely but sometimes it is necessary, I try to do it with as long intervals as possible.

I have mini rex and so far it is OK. WHat do you guys use for flooring? He is free roamed. He has cotton (similar to carefresh) in cage, but then we have thin "grass" carpet. Pain to clean all the hay bits. Do you guys think that rubber mat, for stable walls (like for horses) would be OK?

I have mini rex and so far it is OK. WHat do you guys use for flooring? He is free roamed. He has cotton (similar to carefresh) in cage, but then we have thin "grass" carpet. Pain to clean all the hay bits. Do you guys think that rubber mat, for stable walls (like for horses) would be OK?

IME of keeping Rexes for 24 years the best substrate is thick soft hay. Not always possible for a House Rabbit. So a surface that provides good traction and is not abrasive should work well. If the cushioned rubber stable matting is an option I’d definitely try them. I find if a Rex gets to the age of 1 and still has good fur covering over their hocks then Sore Hocks are far less likely to become a problem as long as they are kept on an appropriate substrate. I have seen sore hocks on Rexes as young as 10 weeks :(

Question on sore hocks - I read somewhere reasonably reliable (not sure where, but not just a fb group) that it is normal for them to have a small bald patch that is covered by a pad of hair. How do you know when it is more than just the normal bald spot, before it becomes damaged skin?

There is a small area over on the hock which looks like thickened skin. It should only be visible if you actually move the fur apart. The initial stages of Sore Hocks is fur loss over the thickened skin area.

We have some rubber stable matting being delivered today to redo Jake and Jasmine's room, more for arthritis as Jasmine slips on the current lino, but I'll let people know how well cushioned it is :)

There is a small area over on the hock which looks like thickened skin. It should only be visible if you actually move the fur apart. The initial stages of Sore Hocks is fur loss over the thickened skin area.

Ok, so if I look at their feet without touching them and can't see a bald patch, that's ok, but if I can see or feel the bald patch easily without digging into the hair, then there's a problem developing?

Back