• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie's unwell

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I haven't had enough energy for talking this weekend, but I wanted to let you all know that Sophie's not doing very well. She was fine this afternoon and took her treat (dandelion root) after I did her weekly check-up (she lost a bit of weight), but a few hours later she was clearly not feeling well, and she didn't want to eat, so we took her to the vets right away. They examined her and took an x-ray, and her guts are moving too slowly (she has some gut sounds, but not enough), but we're not sure why. She has plenty of food in her stomach and belly, but there's a big gas bubble as well, and a lot of smaller ones, and the vet was extra worried about one section of her large intestine, the part where all the small bubbles are and a lot of food. Since I've been so tired, I admit I didn't really understand why exactly he was so worried about that section in particular...

She doesn't have a blockage, though. She got an injection of gut motility meds, and she has a bottle to use at home, too, and she had already had her daily metacam. Since her stomach was already completely full, the vet recommended not starting with syringe feeding right away, but to gently massage her belly to try to help get everything moving. I didn't think she'd let me do that, since her belly must hurt with the gas and she probably still has that sore spot near her kidney that we don't know the cause of, but when we got home I put her on my lap and gently massaged her belly like the vet said, and she was completely fine with it and stayed sitting on my lap (I wasn't holding her). When she walked away after a while and went to hide in her house I offered her some greens and she ate some, so that's a relief. I'm going to keep a close eye on her... The vet said that if she isn't eating by tomorrow morning we'd do another x-ray or an ultrasound and see if there've been any changes. Since she's eaten some now, though (she got some greens from her food tree just now and is hopping around), and has had the gut motility meds, hopefully her guts will start moving properly and she'll feel better.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Sophie has been unwell :(
Too many RU bunnies are under the weather at the moment :(

That’s encouraging that she’s eaten some greens, I hope that she will continue to improve. Sending positive thoughts your way xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also sorry to read this about Sophie. It certainly sounds as though she's feeling better than she was though and it's reassuring that she's eaten some greens. I hope that she continues to improve.

Sending her lots of vibes and also I hope you feel better soon too.

Sorry to hear this, but good news no blockage. It's also good that she is hopping around, will keep everything on the move. Yes I agree there has been a good few bunnies with gut issues of late :( sending lots of vibes for your girlie x

I researched a few issues related to gas because I am very afraid of the digestive problem in rabbits. I read a good article about this. I'm linking, maybe it will help.

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/rabbit-has-gas/#How_to_Tell_if_a_Rabbit_Has_Gas

I congratulate you. Not every rabbit owner notices the gas problem. You immediately noticed this before returning to GI stasis.

I hope Sophie gets better. I'm sending her too much vibration. Allah bless her. Xxxxxxxxxx

I’m sorry to read this about Sophie but getting vetinary intervention as swiftly as you have done will give Sophie the very best chance for remedial treatment. Sending millions of vibes for Sophie. Xx

Aww I'm sorry Sophies not been well & I'm sorry you've been so exhausted too. I hope she continues to eat more & recovers fully really soon

I'm sorry to read that Sophie is unwell. However, it's positive that she's eaten some greens and has started to move around a bit. Hopefully the gut meds and tummy massage have helped move things through and she's feeling a bit more comfortable now.

I also think that the fact she is moving around now will also help disperse the gas.

I am glad she is starting to eat some greens and hope she continues to improve. The gut meds/GI movement will help her expel the gas too.
Did the vets give her any fluids? Slow guts often allow fecal material to become dry and harder to expel so even an otherwise healthy bunny who seems hydrated can benefit form extra fluids.

Sending lots of vibes.

I am glad she is starting to eat some greens and hope she continues to improve. The gut meds/GI movement will help her expel the gas too.
Did the vets give her any fluids? Slow guts often allow fecal material to become dry and harder to expel so even an otherwise healthy bunny who seems hydrated can benefit form extra fluids.

Sending lots of vibes.

I ditto fluid therapy. Hopefully Sophie has passed some poo overnight and is feeling a bit better . It may be worth having a blood profile run given that she is on longterm Metacam.

Thank you all so, so much for the vibes and for hoping she'll feel better, and for sharing your thoughts about how she's doing. I really appreciate very much that you all care about her. :love: :love: And thank you to those of you who cared about my tiredness as well. :love:

She had a good night. I slept on the couch so I was close to her, and got up several times to check on her and to offer her some food, and she was doing well each time and ate everything I gave her. This morning she's eating well, too, and she was chasing her food ball just now, so she's clearly feeling better, which is a big relief. I don't know if she has passed all the gas yet, though, and I don't know if she has pooped, either, since I can't tell her and Casper's poops apart. So, I'm going to keep a close eye on her this morning and she if she does any poops, and I'll keep her on the Emeprid.

About fluids: No, the vet didn't give her any. I realised later that that could've been helpful... I've been giving her lots of wet veggies and grass to keep her guts hydrated, so I hope that'll help, and she's been drinking, too.

The blood profile because of the longterm metacam is a good idea. We've done that for Casper, too, to keep an eye on what the longterm Metacam is doing. She's only been on Metacam for a few weeks, though, and the blood profile she had shortly before starting was all okay, so I wouldn't have thought she'd been on it for long enough that it could have affected anything?

Here's a photo from very early this morning to show that she's relaxed and feeling better, and that Casper is being a good friend and offering cuddles:

KgSh0dNh.jpg

Good news made me happy. I hope Sophie gets better. Casper is such a good friend. They look so cute together, mashallah.
I'm sending a lot of vibes for Sophie. Xxxxxxxxxx

Back