• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie's overgrooming

Good information to have, though I have no issue with cleaning scent glands, infant poo makes me gag.

Could medicam's anti-inflammatory properties be helping?
I hope her scent gland cleaning addressed her issue.

Good information to have, though I have no issue with cleaning scent glands, infant poo makes me gag.

Could medicam's anti-inflammatory properties be helping?
I hope her scent gland cleaning addressed her issue.
Yes, I think it does help her, since she overgroomed a lot less after starting the metacam on Monday. And thank you for hoping her scent gland cleaning addressed her issue. I think it did! :)

Hows Sophies grooing patterns today?
Thank you for asking. :) She's doing so much better today! I haven't seen her lick under her chin even once today. So, it really does look like it was her scent glands being blocked that was bothering her yesterday, and possibly before that, too. I'm not sure now if she has been overgrooming so much lately because of pain or because of her scent glands, or both. :?

And her normal grooming is still looking easier for her, though I did her weekly weighing/check-up today and she's still not keeping her bottom as clean as she used to, so maybe that's still difficult for her? I haven't really looked into arthritis much yet, but if she has that, would it be the pain that makes it difficult to keep herself clean or something like stiffness? Or both? I'm wondering what exactly the metacam helps with, and what it can't help with, since she's still having trouble keeping herself clean underneath.

Yes, I think it does help her, since she overgroomed a lot less after starting the metacam on Monday. And thank you for hoping her scent gland cleaning addressed her issue. I think it did! :)

Thank you for asking. :) She's doing so much better today! I haven't seen her lick under her chin even once today. So, it really does look like it was her scent glands being blocked that was bothering her yesterday, and possibly before that, too. I'm not sure now if she has been overgrooming so much lately because of pain or because of her scent glands, or both. :?

And her normal grooming is still looking easier for her, though I did her weekly weighing/check-up today and she's still not keeping her bottom as clean as she used to, so maybe that's still difficult for her? I haven't really looked into arthritis much yet, but if she has that, would it be the pain that makes it difficult to keep herself clean or something like stiffness? Or both? I'm wondering what exactly the metacam helps with, and what it can't help with, since she's still having trouble keeping herself clean underneath.

Isn't that great news (so far) about the not over grooming. If her scent glands were what was causing that it would kind of fit that it bothers her at a variable rate as possibly she'd been managing some clearing of them at times. Everything crossed that is one problem solved.
I don't specifically know but I'm guessing arthritis is painful & I'm pretty sure inflammatory so metacam would help with both ?

Is Sophies fur stained or soiled?

Isn't that great news (so far) about the not over grooming. If her scent glands were what was causing that it would kind of fit that it bothers her at a variable rate as possibly she'd been managing some clearing of them at times. Everything crossed that is one problem solved.
I don't specifically know but I'm guessing arthritis is painful & I'm pretty sure inflammatory so metacam would help with both ?

Is Sophies fur stained or soiled?
That's true. If her scent glands were what was causing her overgrooming then maybe she's had periods of overgrooming off and on because she managed to clean them sometimes. I'll keep an eye on them from now on.

Yeah, that would make sense. I think that's likely how it works... I'll do some research this week.

It's mostly just stained. She used to be nice and white underneath, but these days the fur of part of her tail and her genital area is light yellow. It's dry, though.

That's true. If her scent glands were what was causing her overgrooming then maybe she's had periods of overgrooming off and on because she managed to clean them sometimes. I'll keep an eye on them from now on.

Yeah, that would make sense. I think that's likely how it works... I'll do some research this week.

It's mostly just stained. She used to be nice and white underneath, but these days the fur of part of her tail and her genital area is light yellow. It's dry, though.

I feel bad now. I don't even know if Boo is is snow white all over. My bunnies are going to love you ...first your thread prompted the scent gland cleaning now Boobly bear will have to be turned upside down (well not quite) for a fur assessment:lol::lol:

I feel bad now. I don't even know if Boo is is snow white all over. My bunnies are going to love you ...first your thread prompted the scent gland cleaning now Boobly bear will have to be turned upside down (well not quite) for a fur assessment:lol::lol:
I'm so sorry, Boo. :lol:

Arthritis will cause pain. It also can cause stiffness, probably because of the pain but also inflammation. It can also cause weakness in that area, so maybe some movements have become more difficult for her when trying to groom herself. Metacam should help with the pain and also inflammation.

Arthritis will cause pain. It also can cause stiffness, probably because of the pain but also inflammation. It can also cause weakness in that area, so maybe some movements have become more difficult for her when trying to groom herself. Metacam should help with the pain and also inflammation.
Ah, I see. That's helpful to know, thank you. :)

Sophie's been doing really well, but today she's been pulling on her chest hair a lot again. I checked her scent glands a few days ago during her check-up and they were fine, so it can't be that today. I don't know what's bothering her. :(

(I just realised that maybe this thread should be in Behaviour & Bonding instead of Health?)

Weather can affect human arthritis, if it's wet and cold where you are it could be that. Air pressure can have a lot to do with it as well.

Also, thankyou for this thread: Lopsy has a bit of staining on his front in the same sort of area, and he's grooming there a lot BUT he's also still really moulty, so it could be that. We're watchful-waiting to see if it develops or remains post-moult; he's due at the vets for MOT and vaccs in June/July so we'll get him booked in with the rabbit savvy one and see if there's any issues. His age could be throwing up all sorts at the moment :lol:

Thank you for sharing that article, KCG. She's not pulling out her fur, though; just pulling on it and licking it a lot. She usually does it when something's bothering her, but it can be hard trying to find out what it is.

I hope she has no problem, and she will get well soon. We are all a little obsessed with our rabbits.

Weather can affect human arthritis, if it's wet and cold where you are it could be that. Air pressure can have a lot to do with it as well.

Also, thankyou for this thread: Lopsy has a bit of staining on his front in the same sort of area, and he's grooming there a lot BUT he's also still really moulty, so it could be that. We're watchful-waiting to see if it develops or remains post-moult; he's due at the vets for MOT and vaccs in June/July so we'll get him booked in with the rabbit savvy one and see if there's any issues. His age could be throwing up all sorts at the moment :lol:
Oh, that's true... Oddly enough we've had a lot of cold and rainy days this past week and today is the first sunny one in a while, so it's probably not that? I'm not sure how air pressure works, so I don't know how that would affect her. :oops:

I hope Lopsy's overgrooming right now is just because he's really moulty and his fur is bothering him. Hopefully he'll stop after that and his MOT will go well, too. It's true that when they get older all sorts of stuff can be bothering them. ;)

I hope she has no problem, and she will get well soon. We are all a little obsessed with our rabbits.
Thank you for hoping she's okay.

Sophie's been doing really well, but today she's been pulling on her chest hair a lot again. I checked her scent glands a few days ago during her check-up and they were fine, so it can't be that today. I don't know what's bothering her. :(

(I just realised that maybe this thread should be in Behaviour & Bonding instead of Health?)

It’s one of those instances where the thread is about health but it causes unusual behaviour I suppose. Either section is fine I think, but if you want us to move it, we can, if you let us know :wave:

I hope that she is feeling better soon xx

I'm not sure how air pressure works, so I don't know how that would affect her. :oops:.
Briefly: the sun heats the oceans which causes effects in the air such as wind and differences in density. High pressure in denser air, low pressure, 'thinner' air. Highs are usually linked to settled weather (sunny or cloudy, a cloudy one is a 'dirty high') and lows to unsettled weather, they often have fronts bringing rain, which is how our weather in the UK works because we're not in the middle of a continent, near a massive mountain range and we're stuck on the 'prevailing' end of an ocean-crossing wind. I expect it's similar where you are, but most of i.e. Germany would be different. Arthritis (can't remember is it's osteo- or rheumatoid, or both) can be affected by either, and sometimes it's very local. One of my friends is worst affected by high pressure but only 'wet' ones, which come with a lot of moisture (usually dirty) and especialy in Summer generate thunderstorms. A thunderstorm can be very high pressure for a very short time IIRC (I'm not a meteorologist, but weather/climate is one of my physics-related pasions/hobbies :lol:). She also finds she gets more tired more easily (she also lives with ME/CFS) during these periods :)

Back