• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie's not well again + Casper's unwell, too, now

Oh no sending vibes for both of them.

It's nice that Casper is so caring of her health but extra stress for all of you.

Blossom also makes funny noises while awake and asleep sometimes if she's in the wrong position when her dewlap puts pressure on her pallet I think it was.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to read your latest posts. Poor Casper :( I guess it makes sense, he is such a sensitive little bun & besotted with his Sophie. i really hope you get a break from all this worry soon. lots of vibes for their appointment

Sending loads of vibes for both Casper and Sophie. I hope the vet appointment goes well.

Thank you everyone for caring and sending vibes. I honestly really appreciate it. :love: She's been eating really well since I've gotten up for the day. :love: I called the vets and they asked me to send a video of Sophie's breathing noises, so I thought I'd share it here, too: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3eU6LWey7b4ix48J6 It gets worse the longer she's eating.

Thank you. :love: I have had more of a chance to rest now that she's doing better. :) And, yeah, I agree that it would be bad to stop the medication suddenly. I always taper off gut meds slowly anyway, but the vets do want her staying on a maintenance dose of Emeprid even after she's back to normal, like you said, so I'll just keep giving her that.

No, none of that, thankfully. No wetness anywhere, and she hasn't been sneezing, either. Thank you for hoping, really.

Ooh, that's reassuring to hear, that Zeus does that sometimes when he's awake, too, and that he's fine. I hope it's the same for Sophie... Thank you. :love:
That sounds exactly like Zeus! It does come out more when he's eating as well and sometimes when he's washing :)
Athie never makes a sound, guess it might just be another bunny quirk :)
Hope the vets agree and that it's nothing to worry about [emoji173]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Oh no :( just read the rest of the posts :(
Hope the vet visit went/goes OK and Casper gets better quick. Tons of vibes and if I can do anything just shout :)

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thank you so, so much, everyone. :love: It's really sweet of you all to care about Sophie and Casper. :love: I'm really exhausted and sore all over, so I'm sorry I can't reply to anything, but I wanted to let you all know that we had a really good and really thorough (and really long) appointment. The vet examined Sophie and took x-rays of her head and chest and she couldn't find anything that would explain the weird noises while breathing at all. Her nose is clean, her lungs are fine, there's nothing blocking or pressing on her airways, no tooth roots in the way of anything, nothing. So, that's good news, even though it's a bit of a mystery. The x-ray did show that she still has a lot of gas in her stomach even though she's been eating very well today, though, so we're going to go ahead with the plan and keep her on Emeprid for a long while. The vet said that it causes drowsiness in some bunnies, but that it's completely safe to give for a long time and won't make her guts lazy or anything like that. Another thing is that her molar spurs have gotten bigger, but the angle is such that they can't hurt her tongue (they're growing pretty much straight up), and since she's eating well now we'll see how it goes. They'll likely need to be taken care of in the future, though.

Casper ate some greens before our appointment, so that was encouraging, and the vet examined him and he's okay and his belly felt and sounded fine, so we're going to see if he'll keep eating now and keep him on gut motility meds for a few days, but he'll likely be okay. He started eating some hay as soon as we got home, and he had some more greens just now, too. His molar spurs haven't gotten any worse since April, so that's really good.

I think that's all...

Thank you so, so much, everyone. :love: It's really sweet of you all to care about Sophie and Casper. :love: I'm really exhausted and sore all over, so I'm sorry I can't reply to anything, but I wanted to let you all know that we had a really good and really thorough (and really long) appointment. The vet examined Sophie and took x-rays of her head and chest and she couldn't find anything that would explain the weird noises while breathing at all. Her nose is clean, her lungs are fine, there's nothing blocking or pressing on her airways, no tooth roots in the way of anything, nothing. So, that's good news, even though it's a bit of a mystery. The x-ray did show that she still has a lot of gas in her stomach even though she's been eating very well today, though, so we're going to go ahead with the plan and keep her on Emeprid for a long while. The vet said that it causes drowsiness in some bunnies, but that it's completely safe to give for a long time and won't make her guts lazy or anything like that. Another thing is that her molar spurs have gotten bigger, but the angle is such that they can't hurt her tongue (they're growing pretty much straight up), and since she's eating well now we'll see how it goes. They'll likely need to be taken care of in the future, though.

Casper ate some greens before our appointment, so that was encouraging, and the vet examined him and he's okay and his belly felt and sounded fine, so we're going to see if he'll keep eating now and keep him on gut motility meds for a few days, but he'll likely be okay. He started eating some hay as soon as we got home, and he had some more greens just now, too. His molar spurs haven't gotten any worse since April, so that's really good.

I think that's all...

Let me tell you something. I have asthma, normally I don't take medicine because my breathing is strong and healthy. But once my asthma complaint increased. I went to the doctor and I had a lot of gas in my stomach. The doctor said I have bad breath because the gas in the stomach is pressing on my lungs. And I was breathing loudly while I was breathing just like Sophie. I'm a human and gas has had such an effect on me. Maybe this possibility is also possible in rabbits??

I’m glad the appointment went well. I wonder if the Emeprid has affected her a little and made her breathe like that? And perhaps Casper has picked up on it all, and it’s affected him a little. I hope you can get some rest now xx

Is she still on medicam?
Could gas in her stomach be effecting her breathing when she is resting?
Glad both got a good check at the vets and nothing major found. Glad Casper eating hay too. Sometimes ride to vet helps a bunny pass gas so they are much improved when vet examines the bunny.

Thank you, KCG, Zoobec, and bunny momma. :love: I'm not sure if the gas or the Emeprid could be causing the breathing noises. The vet said that the noise is coming from her head, not her lungs or chest, and that's what it sounds like to me as well. It's worse when she's stressed, like during the vet exam yesterday, or when she's eating, but when she's resting it pretty much goes away. And, yes, she's still on metacam, bunny momma. She gets it every day for her arthritis.

The good news is that they're both doing better this morning. :love: They're eating well, and now that Sophie's feeling better, Casper isn't so stressed anymore. I'm less stressed, too. :lol: I feel like I need to sleep all day, though. So tired.

I’m glad they are both doing well today. And that you feel less stressed. I hope that you be able to get some rest today!

Glad vet visit went well and that they both had a thorough check up. Really hope that they both continue to be well, so sending more vibes for them, and for you too, hope you can have a good rest now xxxx

Thank you, KCG, Zoobec, and bunny momma. :love: I'm not sure if the gas or the Emeprid could be causing the breathing noises. The vet said that the noise is coming from her head, not her lungs or chest, and that's what it sounds like to me as well. It's worse when she's stressed, like during the vet exam yesterday, or when she's eating, but when she's resting it pretty much goes away. And, yes, she's still on metacam, bunny momma. She gets it every day for her arthritis.

The good news is that they're both doing better this morning. :love: They're eating well, and now that Sophie's feeling better, Casper isn't so stressed anymore. I'm less stressed, too. :lol: I feel like I need to sleep all day, though. So tired.

grear news :love:

I'm so glad to hear this news. :)

Back