• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie's not well again + Casper's unwell, too, now

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I just noticed a few minutes ago. She's not eating and was quietly sitting in her litter tray, and she doesn't really want to move. The vet who has out of hours duty today is really not good with small animals from what I've heard, so I don't know what to do. :( I've given her her evening dose of metacam, and tried to tempt her with a lot of different things, but she doesn't want anything at all. I don't know if she's pooping. The fact that she was sitting in the litter tray for a long time makes me think she's having trouble getting her poops out. I have Emeprid from when she wasn't eating the other week, but I'd rather not give it until a vet has examined her, but like I said, the one on duty tonight isn't one I'm comfortable with after the things I've heard about him. :( Does anyone maybe have any advice?

I feel bad, too, because I completely forgot to give them their veggies at dinner time (my memory's all over the place lately), and maybe I would've noticed she wasn't feeling well sooner if they'd had their greens on time. :(

Last edited:
I realized something was wrong when I couldn't see you on the forum. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this. I wish I could help. :( I hope Sophie will be well soon. I send so many vibrations for her. :( Xxxxxxxxxx

I realized something was wrong when I couldn't see you on the forum. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this. I wish I could help. :( I hope Sophie will be well soon. I send so many vibrations for her. :( Xxxxxxxxxx
Thank you, KCG. I actually haven't been around because I've been too tired. I thought I'd do some catching up on everything tonight, but now Sophie's not well. :(

She just ran from one hiding spot to another and dropped two normal-sized poops on the way. Does that mean she at least doesn't have a blockage?

I'm really sorry that Sophie is unwell. Personally I would rather she was seen by any vet rather than no vet. If you're not sure whether she is passing poop or not then it would not be advisable to give any Emeprid. A vet needs to confirm that she hasn't got a blockage.

Also if you are going by other people's comments regarding how rabbit savvy this vet is, then maybe you might have a different impression. I accept that is unlikely, but you know enough about what needs to be checked and prescribed, so can discuss the important issues with the vet. It's certainly not ideal, but I would consider it the better option.

Sending her lots of vibes.

Sorry to hear that Sophie is giving you concern again, sending lots of vibes for her, really hope she picks up soon xx

I'm really sorry that Sophie is unwell. Personally I would rather she was seen by any vet rather than no vet. If you're not sure whether she is passing poop or not then it would not be advisable to give any Emeprid. A vet needs to confirm that she hasn't got a blockage.

Also if you are going by other people's comments regarding how rabbit savvy this vet is, then maybe you might have a different impression. I accept that is unlikely, but you know enough about what needs to be checked and prescribed, so can discuss the important issues with the vet. It's certainly not ideal, but I would consider it the better option.

Sending her lots of vibes.

Sending lots of vibes for Sophie. I agree with what Omi has said too. I hope she is feeling better soon xx

Thank you, Omi, Pets Mum, and Zoobec. I really appreciate your replies.

What you say makes sense, Omi. I'll call the vet and ask if he'll see Sophie.

Sending lots of vibes for Sophie. For me Emeprid would need a vet to check for blockage by hand and a blood sugar check.

Our vet allows me to give Rantidine and Metacam before an exam while waiting for an appointment but never any of the stronger meds like emeprid.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Lots of vibes for beautiful Sophie - I'm sorry you have more concerns :( Hoping the vet can see her & that you get a decent consult & treatment

Sending lots of vibes.

Pain meds and fluids are all I would do until some more output. Others gave good advice.

Thank you so much for caring about Sophie, everyone, and for your hopes and advice. :love: I'm so glad you recommended I take her to the vet despite what I'd heard, Omi, because it turns out the practice got new owners last month and the vet I saw was really lovely. :oops: She did an x-ray of Sophie and, like last time, her stomach is really full again (I'll call my vets tomorrow and ask what could be the cause of this happening twice in such a short time and if we need to do any tests), but my foggy brain can't remember now if it's full of gas or food... I should've taken notes. Unlike last time, though, her guts are fine; no gas or obsctructions there. So, she has gotten some meds (both injections and stuff to give her at home), and we just got back, and she has hopped around and has nibbled some greens, so that's promising. No syringe feeding until her stomach is a lot less full, so I'll just keep offering her lots of things so she can eat when she feels she can.

I'm pleased the vet was nice. good to hear she is nibbling greens now. such a worry aren't they :( I hope you all have a good night

Thank you, Graciee and j&b. :love: I should get some sleep, but I'll check on her through the night and keep offering her food (since Casper has just eaten the entire buffet I set down for her).

Oh Casper - obviously has the same mindset as Boo when it comes to helping. At least he is being nice to her (presumably). Hopefully you have a good supply of greens in. Hoping for positive news tomorrow

Sorry late posting but so glad you took her to vets and had her checked out and that the visit went well.

Sending vibes and nose bumps from Mr Chief. Hope Sophie gets well soon and you have a smooth night plus hope you manage to catch up on sleep yourself [emoji178]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Back