• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something is awry... Vet visited, not much changing! Stasis - maybe?

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hello all,

Back again with a poorly bun!

Bear:
Noticed he was a bit "off" on Monday
He is eating very little - dried leaves, some treats (very few though), paper and some banana. Isn't eating anything that we want him to eat.
Lethargic, not moving around as much.
I don't think he is pooing much either (we have two buns, so hard to say but there's definitely a reduced amount). The poo's he is producing appear to be sticking to him.
Felt hot yesterday (40.0c)
Worried he isn't drinking.

Vet visited:
Listened to gut / massaged usual areas. Nothing to note.
Checked teeth. Nothing to note.
Given some "critical care" paste to feed him (no chance, even healthy rabbit won't go near this...)
Also given Emeprid to try to administer... He has had some banana laced with Emeprid so has had a little.

So far little improvement. Though we are also struggling to administer any drugs as he goes ballistic if you get a hand anywhere near him (we can't even stroke him - most we get is a chin rub at arms length).

He has had stasis before, but he seems more alert/willing to "try" eating stuff than when he has had a full on bout.

Any suggestions...? Thinking we need to try a fully bunny burrito and get the drugs in him, and maybe even water the paste down and syringe feed that...

Did the Vet not give pain relief ? A Rabbit in pain will not eat.

So the rectal temperature was 40c ? Is your Rabbit fully vaccinated ?

Given the high fever, anorexia and general malaise I am very surprised that your Rabbit was not hospitalised. Is your Vet Rabbit Savvy ?

Did the Vet not give pain relief ? A Rabbit in pain will not eat.

So the rectal temperature was 40c ? Is your Rabbit fully vaccinated ?

Given the high fever, anorexia and general malaise I am very surprised that your Rabbit was not hospitalised. Is your Vet Rabbit Savvy ?

Thanks for the reply,

Fully vaccinated yes - 40.0c seems to be at the top end of normal from my research especially under stress of vets etc (though the window is tight... 40.0c is OK, 40.5c is danger zone), he seems to have cooled down today so that's less of a worry now.

I do think some pain relief would've been handy... If he hasn't improved much by this afternoon I will give them a call and see if we can get some pain relief prescribed/injected if possible.

They are "silver" on the Rabbit Welfare map, which is about as good as I can get in this area!

They are "silver" on the Rabbit Welfare map, which is about as good as I can get in this area!

Even more shocked about the lack of pain relief :cry: Personally I would be querying this with the Vet now.

Yes, my mistake re the temperature. I am currently having to monitor my own and my brain was in ‘normal human temperature’ mode !

I would try the Bunny Burito to medicate him as it is important he receives it.

I do hope Bunny will feel better soon x

Even more shocked about the lack of pain relief :cry: Personally I would be querying this with the Vet now.

Yes, my mistake re the temperature. I am currently having to monitor my own and my brain was in ‘normal human temperature’ mode !

I would try the Bunny Burito to medicate him as it is important he receives it.

I do hope Bunny will feel better soon x

Thanks - yes I thought "Oh god he has Covid!" when it was over 37.8 degrees haha.

He's had a few leaves off me just, so at least he is eating something. I think he is passing some poo too... though it is small and sticky because of his lack of hay.

I'll give vet a call about getting some pain relief in him too. Hopefully that perks him up.

Cheers

Little update.

Burrito worked once he accepted lying on the towel... Kept digging or pushing it for a while.

Syringe fed some food to him, as well as getting a full dose of Emeprid in him.

He is passing small sticky poos, probably due to his diet or lack of. And is eating tiny tiny amounts... Hopefully perks up shortly.

Yes - got a bit of a naff reply from the receptionist "If vet thought that would have been appropriate they would have prescribed it"...

Have just hand fed him some more treats/mixed dried stuff and he's eating that, still looks visibly "grumpy", but maybe moving in the right direction.

Have booked another appointment with the vet to try and negotiate some pain relief drugs.

He's having an overnight stay, will have syringe feed/pain relief etc so hopefully that helps him recover from whatever it is he's suffering from.

Different vet, no specific concerns or difference in opinion to the first vet, other than the obvious.

Temperature was back to normal at least, and glucose was low (suspect because of not eating much). He'll need the fluids / nutrients that a vet can pay attention to, so fingers crossed...!

He's having an overnight stay, will have syringe feed/pain relief etc so hopefully that helps him recover from whatever it is he's suffering from.

Different vet, no specific concerns or difference in opinion to the first vet, other than the obvious.

Temperature was back to normal at least, and glucose was low (suspect because of not eating much). He'll need the fluids / nutrients that a vet can pay attention to, so fingers crossed...!

Glad that he is now receiving more intensive Veterinary Care. I hope he will be feeling much better tomorrow.

Sending lots of vibes for your bunny, hope he improves after tonight's stay and you get a good update in the morning xx

Could be something with his abdomen, partial blocake or could very much be oral problem. Only under sedation they can see every teeth, lups etc. They need to stabilise the bun prior the anesthetic.

Had an update from the vets,

He's having a good amount of syringe food, eating food they put in with him. Apparently seems more alert etc.

Just waiting for the poo's now!

Good news,

He's coming home, will have to give him some Emeprid / Metacam over the next couple of days but is eating/pooing properly so hopefully this episode is over!

Thanks all :wave:

Back