• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So what made you choose your rabbit ?

I wasn't even thinking of having a rabbit. How could I refuse a home when the rescues were full, & I had a large lawn? I didn't even ask what colour he was until he arrived! I expected nothing, & got the animal friend of a life time.

My first Widgey was from a breeder. I was 12 at the time, I can't really remember why I chose him, he just sorta stood out to me, lol. He was the perfect choice, though.
Pipkin was from the same place, a year after Widget died. He was so pretty and small, even though he was one of the older rabbits there at the time. I was worried he wouldn't get a home because there were so many babies.
Ruby I found after searching round all my local rescues for aaages. They seemed really short on females, for some reason. I was really looking for a smaller rabbit, so they wouldn't dwarf Pipkin, but when I saw Ruby she came right up and rattles the bars on her run. She was so pretty, even in the middle of a moult :lol: She seemed much friendlier than Pipkin, too, which I thought might bring him out of his shell a little bit (which it has).

Nibbles, our first bun - friend's neighbour got a dog and it didn't like the rabbit so he was put in a tiny cage in the garage as they didn't know what to do with him. We just went and collected him without knowing much at all! He was ginormous!

Fluffy, friend of friend - they had 'outgrown' him so we just went to collect him and brought him home without knowing anything about him either. He is a very laid-back chap.

Miffy - RSPCA local rescue as a friend for Fluffy - she was looking a bit lonely so we chose her - plus she was too cute! She is friendly but a bit nervous.

:)

My first rabbits (Sooty and Nugget) were bought from a breeder for me and my brother. Can't really remember why we chose them.

When I chose Flopsy she was just being delivered at our local pet shop as we arrived. She went from the breeder's carrier into my arms, into a box for us to take her home :)

When Flopsy died I had intended to get my next bunny from rescue. However, went into a P@H to kill some time before a movie. Someone else had asked to look at a gorgeous chinchilla lop. I thought it so well behaved being held. I fell in love :love: Titch was so special to me that I feel I was meant to have him, not in the least part due to the fact that only a dedicated bunny person would have been able to get him through so many of his health problems.

Again, hadn't intended to get Jack. But when I saw him and then found out he was being sold because his mom chewed off his tail, I knew I had to have him. It was completely the right decision as he brought me out of the low I had been in since loosing Titch.

If I'm completely honest, I chose Harley, Flash, Bumper and Jeff because of their looks, they were cuter than the others :oops:

I chose Thumper because I felt sorry for him, stuck in a carrier in P@H because he didn't get along with the others. Jez was given to me.

I opened this thread talking about Toby but I didn't mention my previous rabbits.

I had thought about getting a house rabbit for about 5 years & then I heard of a lady looking to rehome a house bun & took him on a 2 week trial. I was enchanted from day one but I suppose I chose him initially as he was litter trained.

Flynn was from Woodgreen & he had come in a bad state. As the staff knew me & that my dear little Robin had just died, they rang me up to encourage me to come up & have a look as him as they were sure he would litter train easily & was in desparate need of TLC. I can't say it was love at 1st sight. Flynn was a shy, funny looking little thing, a lionhead who was all head & no back. When I was given him to hold, he felt such a lump I almost started weeping again for Robin, who had been such a dainty little polish X, I wasn't sure if I wanted him. But while I was holding Flynn, a member of the public came across & stuck her head in our joint faces & yelled " Cor, 'es funny looking, I'll 'ave 'im."

It was at that point I felt a instant surge of love, care & protectiveness for him, that unbreakable bond. "Oh no your not" I said " He's mine " & that was it, I'd chosen Flynn.

my first bun Bella (dwarf lop) I got from the pet shop...I only went to have a look...but she was picked up by 3 people and put back down...one even called her 'petrol feet' :shock:...because her feet where a different shade:roll:...I think it was fate :love: and then a few months later wanted to adopt but wanted a mini lop ...so looked on RU and came across Oscar aka Aiden ex fluffster :love: and I just had to have him!

My first bunny Smudge we got from a farmers auction when I was 10. He was scruffy looking and was going to be shot if he wasnt sold so my Dad brought him for me. He died at about 2 but I cant remember what of. I just remember him being poorly so my Mum letting him live in the study.

I then had Dusti who we got from a breedor. I was 12 and chose him because he hopped right up to me and followed me around as I looked at the others. He was the most gorgeous and friendly bunny I have ever had. He died the week I went to university at 18. He had his teeth removed as a youngster and survived a serious dental absess.

I had no intention of having any more bunnies but this time last year I went into P@H for fish food and say Graham sat in the adoption section and fell in love with him. His sign said he needed to live alone and was aggressive. I brought him home and had him neutered and then looked for a friend for him. We saw Strawberry on RIN and thought she was a girl. She turned out to be a he but they bonded anyways! Graham then died from stomach problems.

We got Snowdrop to be bonded with Strawbs and chose her by looking in RIN. We went over the Walsal to get her.

Bungle just came to me! lol I fell in love with him at Kirkby and brought him home as he needed alot of daily care that he wouldnt be able to get in rescue. I did intend to rehome him but fell in love and now hope to bond him with my other 2.

We got Jake from a 'friend' (she was at the time, not any more). We'd mentioned whilst in the pub that I wanted a rabbit, and one afternoon my OH suddenly said 'you can have one'. I'd actually wanted a baby but the 'friend' said that she had one we could have. It was her sons but he had grown out of looking after it :roll: We agreed to take the rabbit (who was approx 4 years old at the time and didn't even have a real name!) so the following weekend I went to collect him. I had no idea what he looked like so was a bit scared of the big black object the was squashed into a tiny and broken hutch. I couldn't believe that that was where he lived 24/7. Poor thing. There was also a rottweiler sharing the garden with him that continuously barked. Not a great environment for a rabbit.

When we got him home we came to the conclusion that he was either deaf, blind or both as he didn't react to anything. He just stood with a glazed look on his face. We found out that he'd actually just closed himself off, obviously due to the stress of sharing a garden with a barking dog. It didn't take him long to come out of his shell and we were both amazed at how loving he became after his traumatic start. I just wish we'd had longer with him. We lost him last month after 2 and half years.

So, being upset at my loss I found this forum and a couple of weeks ago spotted Millie on the 'in need' page. She didn't look too happy being in a rescue even though I know she has been getting fantastic care. I fell in love with her and knew I wanted to give her the love she needed. After a lot of work (mostly by my OH) preparing a shed for her, we will be picking her up on Saturday from Barnsley :) I can't wait to have a bunny cuddle!

We have also found a potential husbun for her at a rescue close to home. He was chosen initially on looks but he also has a lovely character and enjoys cuddles :love:

I wrote too much :oops: sorry!

happybun-kit wanted bunnies and did all the research, keeping me informed; during the process i decided i wanted babies not grown ups and saw my two on the internet. one glance was enough. went to meet them and loved them. met their parents. discussed with their mummy (yes, she breeds and shows). went away to cool off and went back a day or two later to collect them. that was over two years ago. they are my spoiled babies and i love them more and more each day. hbkit kept searching and found two of the prettiest buns i've ever seen; they are hers; they live at her house; but i have my eye on them! i look after them when she and oh are away.

i don't know why the pic of my two just said to me 'these are my bunnies'. perhaps its because they are the same colour as three of my five bridge buns, and my precious bridge hammy fluffy (hbk points out that she has similar colouring, too). and when i met tabby and there was serious risk no-one would want her because of her dark mark, i wasn't going to leave her there alone :cry: when her brother was coming with me, and needed a friend.

We got Jake from a 'friend' (she was at the time, not any more). We'd mentioned whilst in the pub that I wanted a rabbit, and one afternoon my OH suddenly said 'you can have one'. I'd actually wanted a baby but the 'friend' said that she had one we could have. It was her sons but he had grown out of looking after it :roll: We agreed to take the rabbit (who was approx 4 years old at the time and didn't even have a real name!) so the following weekend I went to collect him. I had no idea what he looked like so was a bit scared of the big black object the was squashed into a tiny and broken hutch. I couldn't believe that that was where he lived 24/7. Poor thing. There was also a rottweiler sharing the garden with him that continuously barked. Not a great environment for a rabbit.

When we got him home we came to the conclusion that he was either deaf, blind or both as he didn't react to anything. He just stood with a glazed look on his face. We found out that he'd actually just closed himself off, obviously due to the stress of sharing a garden with a barking dog. It didn't take him long to come out of his shell and we were both amazed at how loving he became after his traumatic start. I just wish we'd had longer with him. We lost him last month after 2 and half years.

So, being upset at my loss I found this forum and a couple of weeks ago spotted Millie on the 'in need' page. She didn't look too happy being in a rescue even though I know she has been getting fantastic care. I fell in love with her and knew I wanted to give her the love she needed. After a lot of work (mostly by my OH) preparing a shed for her, we will be picking her up on Saturday from Barnsley :) I can't wait to have a bunny cuddle!

We have also found a potential husbun for her at a rescue close to home. He was chosen initially on looks but he also has a lovely character and enjoys cuddles :love:

I wrote too much :oops: sorry!

this made me cry.

We chose Twinkle and Star from Tracy at Rubgy RGPW because of their beautiful markings and because they were so adorably cute and and cheeky. They were quite nervous of any contact but we sat with them for half an hour putting our hands out so they could sniff us. They decided we would do, and that was it, we were smitten.

Starbuck was in Rabbits in Need section and had been there a while, whilst he was being fostered. He is a deaf bunny and needed to be a housebunny because he had always been one. He was litter trained and we knew that he would be ideal as our first housebunny and that we could shower him with love and attention.

We innocently thought about getting a neutered boy to go with him, but after some thought, we decided it would be best for the bunnies to get a wifey bun for him.

Fay I found on Rabbit Rehome - she looked adorable and had been waiting a long time for a home. Her advert said she needed lots of TLC as she had been through an ordeal, and I thought "yes, I have plenty of TLC to give!".

When we saw them both our hearts were theirs straight away. :love:

this made me cry.

Sorry :)

The transformation in Jake was amazing. He went from not being sure what to do with all the space he was given, to it becoming HIS garden. To the point that he would chase a neighbours cat out. He'd just charge at the cat. Luckily it's quite a timid cat!

He was such an amazing bun and made me realise what special animals they are.

48 hours to go :D

Back