• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Breeders Rabbits Never End up in Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Vienna Blue, Bluebell, was dumped at Wood Green with a breeders ring on at 9 months old.

The thin is that the ones with rings on are theoretically the better end of the breeding fraternity - back yard breeders churning out anything dont use rings. So if even the BRC registered breeders end up either directly dumping or selling to people who dump then that does mean practcally the whole of the breeding fraternity is selling on without really caring - only a very few can really be taking homing seriously.

Vienna Blues are pretty rare as well. Though again you do see them come up in rescue very occasionally

But Jill if I didn't make cakes containing my cat Geoffrey's hair then these unique cakes wouldn't exist, and that would be really sad. They deserve the chance as all the other cakes don't they? They're different to all the other cakes too, so it's not really the same thing, as people specifically come to buy my ones. I sell 30 a week, and those people say if it wasn't for my cakes they wouldn't have a cake at all as that's exactly what they wanted. I'm a responsible baker, I've got my advanced food hygiene and everything :D

But why would you even bake them if so many were being thrown away :(

yep but if we point this out we are accussed of "getting at" an individual . Sadly some people think we all have time to concentrate on just them, we don't. Sometimes we are disappointed by a person's choice but usually it is there own guilt over it that makes them start accusing..all very sad really
and to add before it starts again IF you have bought a pet from a shop or a breeder and you think it is right to have done so then rescues opinions shouldn't bother you...your choice and decision...they will only bother you if doubt on that choice is already there..and also to add ( goodness have to be so bloomin careful :lol:)..there are VERY rare occassions when someone will buy, or be bought a pet, that are understandable.

Anyway back on to the bunny..She actually looks a bit better already as has had a bit of a brush and really likes her veggies..go Philly :D

I was just going to ask how Philly is? I've got my eye on her and am going to be following her progress. Any idea how long she is likely to be with you for?

A ring is likely to be noticed straight away and all it takes is a phonecall to trace the owner

To avoid any confusion, I heard the word 'welded' mentioned, they aren't welded when on the rabbits leg, they come as a solid ring, they're easily slipped over the rabbits foot when its a baby and as the rabbit grows it's ankles will get too big for the ring to fall off. They come in different sizes designed for different breeds and because the exhibitors that use them are breeding to a show standard the rabbits of each breed tend to be very similar sizes, it's rare for a rabbit to become too big for its ring

sorry it was me who said welded
also i would like to know about Philly so any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated:D

I was just going to ask how Philly is? I've got my eye on her and am going to be following her progress. Any idea how long she is likely to be with you for?

hopefully not long. The vet was happy to vacs her today but i will nto be happy to have her neutered until she looks a bit healthier and happier. Having said that sometimes they can turn around quickly but i really can't say

Well I am VERY anti breeders, not just for rabbits but for dogs as well. Personally I would love to see ALL breeding stopped by back street irresponsible breeders, and people wanting to breed bunnies having to apply for a specific licence that would then also mean they were subject to a minimum of 2 random checks per year. People then selling rabbits illegally would be heavily fined, which would hopefully act as a deterrent.

There is absolutely no need for any more rabbits to be bred, with the thousands and thousands already in rescues, and all the babies also born in rescue as well or going into rescues. Personally I do tarnish ALL breeders with the same brush, because anyone that did genuinely, really care about rabbits and their welfare simply would not continue to needlessly breed them. They don't care about them at all or where they end up, all they are interested in is making money out of their probable eventual suffering, which is of no concern to them. Their only concern is getting their hands on the cash when the people come along to buy their buns.

ANYONE that genuinely really did care about rabbits, would not continue to breed them and just keep escalating the problem, and that's why ALL breeders CAN be tarnished with the same brush, because they deserve it :evil:

Yes, there may be good breeders, but I recently posted asking about them, and many people here have animals ( not just rabbits) from breeders. I asked people who had animals from good breeders- ie, breed responsibly, do not cull old breeders or ill, give advice or home check, will take back animals if the owners can no longer keep them- only about 3 people replied!
I know people who breed Shetland sheepdogs, they are what I consider responsible, but they are few and far between- perhaps generalisation should not be used but we should say- the normal breeder instead!

Yes, I edited it because I realised it wasn't clear. :D

I didn't see your post on breeders so thought I would reply now :D
I would always choose to rescue rather than buy but we bought a pointer puppy recently, I have kids of 3 and 4 and couldn't find a rescue we could rehome from due to their ages. The breeder we got our puppy from is lovely, she homechecked sent loads of information and made us sign 2 documents stating that he must never be rehomed but returned to her if ever needed.
I will restress that I support rescues over buying and when we get another dog, hopefully a working spaniel I will try very hard to rehome prior to the dog ending up in a rescue.
Sorry for replying to the wrong thing.
Also I joined a group on Facebook when they were in the middle of a big rescue and I thought I could help, the amount they all breed is insane. I definitely see no need for it xx

hopefully not long. The vet was happy to vacs her today but i will nto be happy to have her neutered until she looks a bit healthier and happier. Having said that sometimes they can turn around quickly but i really can't say

Ok. That is brilliant news :D. Will you keep me posted please?

Well I am VERY anti breeders, not just for rabbits but for dogs as well. Personally I would love to see ALL breeding stopped by back street irresponsible breeders, and people wanting to breed bunnies having to apply for a specific licence that would then also mean they were subject to a minimum of 2 random checks per year. People then selling rabbits illegally would be heavily fined, which would hopefully act as a deterrent.

There is absolutely no need for any more rabbits to be bred, with the thousands and thousands already in rescues, and all the babies also born in rescue as well or going into rescues. Personally I do tarnish ALL breeders with the same brush, because anyone that did genuinely, really care about rabbits and their welfare simply would not continue to needlessly breed them. They don't care about them at all or where they end up, all they are interested in is making money out of their probable eventual suffering, which is of no concern to them. Their only concern is getting their hands on the cash when the people come along to buy their buns.

ANYONE that genuinely really did care about rabbits, would not continue to breed them and just keep escalating the problem, and that's why ALL breeders CAN be tarnished with the same brush, because they deserve it :evil:

Certainly, with dog and cat breeders in Scotland, if they are licensed, the Sspca need to give 48hrs warning before a visit, thus giving many small scale mass breeders a chance to tidy up, remove and generally cover up any abuse. It's totally ridiculous!

Last edited:
i will update on here but it will be up to you to keep an eye out or contact me, if i had to keep track of everyone who wants me to let them know something I would need 9 days in a week! :lol:

Ok that's fair enough. I didn't want to keep bothering you that's all, but I will look for any updates every day then.

With BRC rings it should read BRC then a two digit number then another letter. The two digits will be the year of birth and letter the ring size. (My daughters friends mother shows and i just asked her about rings).

The BRC should be able to tell you who the rings were sold to for their bunnys.

I'm not for rabbit breeding, however, everyone is slagging off a breeder, when surely, in this case the ex owner was at fault. Even a seemingly good owner adopting from a rescue could go on to neglect a rabbit and it doesn't roundtap though the original breeder was contacted to see what their policy would have been. By all means, I'll throw stones too if they were proved to be bad.

I saw something saying new members to this forum might be put off by some things they see on here. Chances are some of them will have got buns from a breeder and just dissing breeders might make them feel unwelcome and then we can't teach them anything about rescue.

I'm glad this bun is safe and being well cared for now!

I'm not for rabbit breeding, however, everyone is slagging off a breeder, when surely, in this case the ex owner was at fault. Even a seemingly good owner adopting from a rescue could go on to neglect a rabbit and it doesn't roundtap though the original breeder was contacted to see what their policy would have been. By all means, I'll throw stones too if they were proved to be bad.

I saw something saying new members to this forum might be put off by some things they see on here. Chances are some of them will have got buns from a breeder and just dissing breeders might make them feel unwelcome and then we can't teach them anything about rescue.

I'm glad this bun is safe and being well cared for now!

i've explained over and over why there are no decent breeders ..in my opinion
if we are not allowed to disagree on things for fear of putting new members off then many threads would have to go:?

and in this case the lady who owned the bunnie has serious MH issues and should never have had them on the first place..and, if the breeder had checked, then the lady would quite openly have told them she would keep them in small indoor cages as she thought that was fine

Breeders rabbits do end up in rescues - after all, all rabbits that exist, exist because they were bred, albeit sometimes accidentally. What people say though is that good breeders rabbits don't end up in rescues usually. Most that end up in rescues are from backyard breeders, pet shops and accidental litters, not due to responsible breeders.

All breeders shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, same with rescues. You could find hundreds of horrible animal rescues, doesn't mean that no good ones exist.

I think it's really sad because responsible breeders do amazing work and are very dedicated, passionate and caring about the animals they breed. For those of you with rescues, just imagine how you'd feel if people tarred your rescue and wouldn't see the amazing work you do just because they had seen/heard of some bad rescues.

Responsible breeders and responsible rescues are on the same side yet many of them hate each other...logically by uniting you could help each other :)

Brilliant post, couldn't agree more :wave: :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back