• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Breeders Rabbits Never End up in Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that poem but didn't realise , due to naivety that they wrung their necks and put tags on them..?

It's even more horrible than I first thought...

Milly and Molly came with breeders rings, they were from a local breeder and were chinchilla dwarf lops. Then were sold together, 2 girls for someone's daughter, and rehomed at 10 months for aggression.
Milly was the worst but it turned out she had cataracts at 10 months. She was an unhealthy rabbit all her life. Molly was not so bad and is 7 now, but is showing signs of I'll health now and I suspect she will not see out the summer.
The best bit was- this breeder also 'rescued' rabbits back then!

One of mine was passed on by a breeder as she had 2 non pedigree babies - one of which was poorly and weighed half that of her sister. The mum had a ring that I had removed by the vet. It was tight on her and she wasn't fully grown. I took them from the person they were passed to and was completely surprised when I saw the ring. The poor little things are just used to make money :(

I think the title to this thread is odd....I can't see anywhere where anyone has stated that breeders rabbits NEVER end up in rescues?
Just like saying rescue rabbits never end up being mistreated?

Lots of generalising here in this thread, just like you could paint ALL rescue centres with the same brush surely?!

I'm very much for promoting rescue rabbits, but I find threads like this just ends up generalising and giving incorrect information about ALL in certain groups of people.

Just my two pennies worth!

It was stated in the first post, that it wasn't referring to this forum but things that the op has heard generally, elsewhere.

Yes, but there are people that believe that breeders rabbits do not end up in rescue, so this is just putting forward the fact it does happen.

Last edited:
Yes, but there are people that believe it, so this is just putting forward the fact it does happen.

This is my last post here I promise as I feel I'm gatecrashing the thread a bit...but read your quote....is that right? People believe what they like, and we all know what happens now, but nowhere is it being corrected that it isn't ALL breeders that practice like that! I just think it is important to point that out, just as you can get good and terrible rescue centres. How awful it is to tarnish the good with the bad brush and not care!

ETA: You changed your quote as i was typing i see!

This is my last post here I promise as I feel I'm gatecrashing the thread a bit...but read your quote....is that right? People believe what they like, and we all know what happens now, but nowhere is it being corrected that it isn't ALL breeders that practice like that! I just think it is important to point that out, just as you can get good and terrible rescue centres. How awful it is to tarnish the good with the bad brush and not care!

Yes, there may be good breeders, but I recently posted asking about them, and many people here have animals ( not just rabbits) from breeders. I asked people who had animals from good breeders- ie, breed responsibly, do not cull old breeders or ill, give advice or home check, will take back animals if the owners can no longer keep them- only about 3 people replied!
I know people who breed Shetland sheepdogs, they are what I consider responsible, but they are few and far between- perhaps generalisation should not be used but we should say- the normal breeder instead!

Yes, I edited it because I realised it wasn't clear. :D

I think the title to this thread is odd....I can't see anywhere where anyone has stated that breeders rabbits NEVER end up in rescues?
Just like saying rescue rabbits never end up being mistreated?
Lots of generalising here in this thread, just like you could paint ALL rescue centres with the same brush surely?!
I'm very much for promoting rescue rabbits, but I find threads like this just ends up generalising and giving incorrect information about ALL in certain groups of people.
Just my two pennies worth!
Sorry but first you should read the posts so you actually see what I've written and second..I have yet to meet a "good" breeder, and I've met many, so in my opinion this thread is fine

Yes, there may be good breeders, but I recently posted asking about them, and many people here have animals ( not just rabbits) from breeders. I asked people who had animals from good breeders- ie, breed responsibly, do not cull old breeders or ill, give advice or home check, will take back animals if the owners can no longer keep them- only about 3 people replied!
I know people who breed Shetland sheepdogs, they are what I consider responsible, but they are few and far between- perhaps generalisation should not be used but we should say- the normal breeder instead!

Yes, I edited it because I realised it wasn't clear. :D

I didn't see your post. I have a cat who comes from what I call a responsible breeder. In the contract they made me sign it was specified that if I should not be able to keep the cat with me in the future, I would have to offer him back to them as a first option, so he won't go to people they don't know. And not only that of course, but it's just an example of what they do. The cat I got was healthy and very well socialized and I can still visit both his parents any time I wish to.

However, I know many breeders are irresponsible when not criminal. And it's silly to say that animals from breeders don't go to rescues because we all can see that they do. There are irresponsible breeders and irresponsible owners, too. The breeder I mentioned had a cat returned because "He purred too much" (What the? You get a Ragdoll and you're not happy if he purrs all time??) and another because "I had not realised what the responsibilities of keeping a cat were".
This is a discussion that will never end. We all need to educate ourselves and others, not to argue.

Makes my blood boil... :censored:
Not only are rescues like yourselves picking up the pieces from breeders..... but the state the poor girl is in too. :cry:

There are no good breeders in my opinion either... and yes most do neck them if they either dont come up to scratch or they dont sell :(

Makes my blood boil... :censored:
Not only are rescues like yourselves picking up the pieces from breeders..... but the state the poor girl is in too. :cry:

There are no good breeders in my opinion either... and yes most do neck them if they either dont come up to scratch or they dont sell :(

they don't all neck, one near me drops youngsters that are surplus to requirements into buckets of water :cry:

Breeders rabbits do end up in rescues - after all, all rabbits that exist, exist because they were bred, albeit sometimes accidentally. What people say though is that good breeders rabbits don't end up in rescues usually. Most that end up in rescues are from backyard breeders, pet shops and accidental litters, not due to responsible breeders.

All breeders shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, same with rescues. You could find hundreds of horrible animal rescues, doesn't mean that no good ones exist.

I think it's really sad because responsible breeders do amazing work and are very dedicated, passionate and caring about the animals they breed. For those of you with rescues, just imagine how you'd feel if people tarred your rescue and wouldn't see the amazing work you do just because they had seen/heard of some bad rescues.

Responsible breeders and responsible rescues are on the same side yet many of them hate each other...logically by uniting you could help each other :)

All breeders shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, same with rescues. You could find hundreds of horrible animal rescues, doesn't mean that no good ones exist.

I think it's really sad because responsible breeders do amazing work and are very dedicated, passionate and caring about the animals they breed. For those of you with rescues, just imagine how you'd feel if people tarred your rescue and wouldn't see the amazing work you do just because they had seen/heard of some bad rescues.

Responsible breeders and responsible rescues are on the same side yet many of them hate each other...logically by uniting you could help each other :)

You have hit the nail on the head in this post! Thank you for writing it much better than I could :thumb:

If there were no breeders, there would be no animals in rescue, if there were no rescues, there would be lots of dead or stray animals.
I find it funny that people as so quick to jump on rescues trying to put a point across and defend breeders.
As I say, there are responsible breeders out there, but an awful lot less than people believe.

If anybody here has rehomed an animal, that was breeder bought, did the breeder take it back, did it go into rescue or did you Rehome yourself?

Breeders rabbits do end up in rescues - after all, all rabbits that exist, exist because they were bred, albeit sometimes accidentally. What people say though is that good breeders rabbits don't end up in rescues usually. Most that end up in rescues are from backyard breeders, pet shops and accidental litters, not due to responsible breeders.

Err.... how?????
Dont think many would agree theyre on the same side either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back