• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Breeders Rabbits Never End up in Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the pet situation as it is at present with rescues saturated with unwanted pets, and they are the lucky ones who find a space in rescue, there is no such thing as a responsible breeder..no one who cares would add to pet numbers at present..whatever reasons they give

If you lived in a town that had a small population but had 12 cake shops. Each day those cake shops had to throw away 200 cakes each as there were not enough customers, even though the cakes were top quality and cheaply priced.
Would you think it a great idea for those shops to keep making so many cakes or for you to open another cake shop in the same town?

think about it

I find it strange that a day or two ago I wrote a post saying that I know of breeders who microchip their animals so that if they do end up being handed in somewhere they will always always come back to the breeder and then this post pops up saying that someone had said breeders rabbits never end up in rescues. Weird coincidence.

Anyway, I don't know who said it because it's clearly untrue. Can you trace breeders by the rings as well as microchips? Have you ever asked them if they take rabbits back? I'm just curious.

If you get a rabbit handed in and it's microchipped, do you have to give it back to the addressee? Can you home check them before you do? What are the laws around that?

Hope the bun bun's okay.

Jenova please re read this..nothing to do with your individual post..in fact i don't think i saw it
the problem rescues have on forums like this, is when we try so hard to stop people buying from breeders we get accused of aiming it at one person,if it coincides with a recent purchase.
What some members forget is that we are dealing with this every day, any anti breeder buy comment will coincide with someone's latest addition .
We don't aim it at individuals..we aim it continually at everybody

The people who said no breeders rabbits end up in rescue were 4 completley different persons on various FB pages, but i have known members from here say very similar things
We wouldn't give a breeder bun back and wouldn't have to as they have sold it to someone and then that person surrenders it to us
I would never send one back to be used for breeding again

Last edited:
Jenova please re read this..nothing to do with your inidvidual post..in fact i don't think i saw it

We wouldn't give a breeder bun back and wouldn't have to as they have sold it to someone and then that person surrenders it to us
I would never send one back to be used for breeding again

I didn't actually think you were talking about me. :wave:
And I was just curious about laws as I know adoption papers etc. are all a bit wishy washy in the eyes of the law.

I certainly don't agree with breeding, I'm on the committee for my local branch of the RSPCA so you can imagine it's something I am against as a whole. I just like to know as much about things as possible from all angles.

I find it strange that a day or two ago I wrote a post saying that I know of breeders who microchip their animals so that if they do end up being handed in somewhere they will always always come back to the breeder and then this post pops up saying that someone had said breeders rabbits never end up in rescues. Weird coincidence.

Anyway, I don't know who said it because it's clearly untrue. Can you trace breeders by the rings as well as microchips? Have you ever asked them if they take rabbits back? I'm just curious.

If you get a rabbit handed in and it's microchipped, do you have to give it back to the addressee? Can you home check them before you do? What are the laws around that?

Hope the bun bun's okay.

7 years ago when Milly and Molly came in, I didn't even know what a breeder ring was, we actually fostered them for another rescue. I would assume if the breeder said they would take back unwanted rabbits, people would go to them first.

Jenova, I don't think the threads around are pointed at anybody. In the real world we are now hitting the point where people are getting fed up of Easter gifts and thinking about the issues of finding holiday care, added to the recession hitting everywhere.
Certainly, I am shocked at the level of ignorance on Facebook for example. Just look on gumtree, you would assume everybody knows not to give an animal away 'free to good home', yet there are loads of them.

My recent bunny Dylan was given back to the breeder......oh yes.... they took him back ...and then sent him to auction.... :( where a pet shop bought him for a couple of pounds.... then went on to neglect him themselves :cry::cry: Having said that.... he would have been bought to feed other animals if they hadnt taken him...... choice of two evils :(:(

If there were no breeders, there would be no animals in rescue, if there were no rescues, there would be lots of dead or stray animals.
I find it funny that people as so quick to jump on rescues trying to put a point across and defend breeders.
As I say, there are responsible breeders out there, but an awful lot less than people believe.

If anybody here has rehomed an animal, that was breeder bought, did the breeder take it back, did it go into rescue or did you Rehome yourself?

I bought what I was told was a doe off a breeder to bond with my male rabbit. The baby started pulling fur and humping my male at 14 weeks old turned out it was a boy not a girl. I told the breeder this and she was very sorry said that it had never happened before that she had sexed a bunny wrong. She was going to have him back and even pick him up for me and keep him if she couldnt find him a good home. She has a facebook page where lots of people who have had a bunny off her post pics and she sells and recomends big hutches, toys and other bunny goodies at good prices. I got a weeks worth of food when i got the bun and advice that i would need to slowly change the food over and if i needed anything to just email or call. She was a very nice lady and when she came to see my home she scooped up my bunny and fussed over him, which i was a bit miffed at as he doesnt let me pick him up and have a cuddle and he normally runs if anyone comes into the room!!
But then i have another breeder on my facebook who seems to have a very high turn over of kits and i would be very surprised if none of them ended up in a rescue im sure the odds are not good that they all go to good homes. There is no way that i could breed and let them go to people i dont know i just love animals too much for the risk. O and i have kept the baby boy in the end i just couldnt send him away

I bought what I was told was a doe off a breeder to bond with my male rabbit. The baby started pulling fur and humping my male at 14 weeks old turned out it was a boy not a girl. I told the breeder this and she was very sorry said that it had never happened before that she had sexed a bunny wrong. She was going to have him back and even pick him up for me and keep him if she couldnt find him a good home. She has a facebook page where lots of people who have had a bunny off her post pics and she sells and recomends big hutches, toys and other bunny goodies at good prices. I got a weeks worth of food when i got the bun and advice that i would need to slowly change the food over and if i needed anything to just email or call. She was a very nice lady and when she came to see my home she scooped up my bunny and fussed over him, which i was a bit miffed at as he doesnt let me pick him up and have a cuddle and he normally runs if anyone comes into the room!!
But then i have another breeder on my facebook who seems to have a very high turn over of kits and i would be very surprised if none of them ended up in a rescue im sure the odds are not good that they all go to good homes. There is no way that i could breed and let them go to people i dont know i just love animals too much for the risk. O and i have kept the baby boy in the end i just couldnt send him away

Most of us couldnt...... but breeders are in it for the money..... its a business to most of them :(
I know someone who was skint..... so thought theyd make some money on their dog..... bred it and had 7 puppies.... £350 each..... not a bad few weeks work :roll:

Most of us couldnt...... but breeders are in it for the money..... its a business to most of them :(
I know someone who was skint..... so thought theyd make some money on their dog..... bred it and had 7 puppies.... £350 each..... not a bad few weeks work :roll:

Thats what i was thinking about the other one on my facebook you must have to breed a high number to make money, the lady i got my baby off doesnt have many kits for sale only a few at a time and not that often. A girl at my work bred her dog and sold the puppies as she said she wanted her dog to have puppies (have no idea why) But she said she didnt make much money from it, one had to be hand fed as it was the runt and the mummy rejected it so after vets bills and food and special treatment for the runt she didnt make much money. Also she said she refused to home them with a few people that came to buy one as she didnt like the look of them or she didnt like the answers to the questions she asked. She said it was very stressfull and wouldnt do it again.
I think people should have a licence for breeding with a max number of babies they can breed a year and have to renew the licence each year following checks and maby something like the kits should be microchipped to the breeder so it is known if they do end up in a rescue where the bunny came from and maby they should be fined by the rescue if the bunny ends up in a bad way for not making sure they are being sold to good homes.

[/B]

Err.... how?????
Dont think many would agree theyre on the same side either

Keep up June! :wave:
This is how: the breeders will keep breeding and selling the stock (making a profit), while the rescues will pick up the pieces ie the dumped stock (making a loss)! This is called 'working together'. Simples! ;):lol:

Keep up June! :wave:
This is how: the breeders will keep breeding and selling the stock (making a profit), while the rescues will pick up the pieces ie the dumped stock (making a loss)! This is called 'working together'. Simples! ;):lol:

Pity some dont see it :(

We have also had a few rabbits over the years with breeders rings. In fact Custard who had his 6th birthday this week still has his on. Thankfully he has been well cared for and hasn't needed any vet treatment, but if he ever has a GA it will be removed.

I can't understand how anyone thinks breeders rabbits DON'T end up in rescues. I also don't understand how anyone who is aware of rabbit rescues doesn't go to them first when looking to get a new rabbit. Sadly rescues are full of baby rabbits and nearly every possible breed available so there is never a need to visit a breeder as far as I am concerned

I can't understand how anyone thinks breeders rabbits DON'T end up in rescues. I also don't understand how anyone who is aware of rabbit rescues doesn't go to them first when looking to get a new rabbit. Sadly rescues are full of baby rabbits and nearly every possible breed available so there is never a need to visit a breeder as far as I am concerned

yep but if we point this out we are accussed of "getting at" an individual . Sadly some people think we all have time to concentrate on just them, we don't. Sometimes we are disappointed by a person's choice but usually it is there own guilt over it that makes them start accusing..all very sad really
and to add before it starts again IF you have bought a pet from a shop or a breeder and you think it is right to have done so then rescues opinions shouldn't bother you...your choice and decision...they will only bother you if doubt on that choice is already there..and also to add ( goodness have to be so bloomin careful :lol:)..there are VERY rare occassions when someone will buy, or be bought a pet, that are understandable.

Anyway back on to the bunny..She actually looks a bit better already as has had a bit of a brush and really likes her veggies..go Philly :D

yep but if we point this out we are accussed of "getting at" an individual . Sadly some people think we all have time to concentrate on just them, we don't. Sometimes we are disappointed by a person's choice but usually it is there own guilt over it that makes them start accusing..all very sad really
and to add before it starts again IF you have bought a pet from a shop or a breeder and you think it is right to have done so then rescues opinions shouldn't bother you...your choice and decision...they will only bother you if doubt on that choice is already there..and also to add ( goodness have to be so bloomin careful :lol:)..there are VERY rare occassions when someone will buy, or be bought a pet, that are understandable.

Anyway back on to the bunny..She actually looks a bit better already as has had a bit of a brush and really likes her veggies..go Philly :D

So glad this little girl is looking better..... her pics really saddened me :(

I agree with your post too...... why does everyone think everthing is always aimed at them???
If people are happy with their choices..... the rescue threads should not upset them, but surley they must appreciate the message has to be got out there.

If you lived in a town that had a small population but had 12 cake shops. Each day those cake shops had to throw away 200 cakes each as there were not enough customers, even though the cakes were top quality and cheaply priced.
Would you think it a great idea for those shops to keep making so many cakes or for you to open another cake shop in the same town?

think about it

When the cakes get too old, they sell them off cheaply in another part of the shop. Welcome to the P@H adoption centre!

Sorry, yes totally. I haven't kept up with the goings on here for a while, just popped on to put a thread or two on. selfish I know but haven't had the time or energy to keep up with anyone elses.

This just caught my attention as I was thinking the other day that now Alfred has moved in the lounge, when I "retire" I would love a couple of Frenchies for company and how many are now in rescue so it should be fairly easy to find some when the time comes.

Good luck with your bunny, I hope she blossoms in rescue and goes on to find a wonderful home x

the rings are welded together around the rabbits leg. there is no blood there.
they can become very tight and are not something any true rabbit lover would put on their pets.
They can be difficult to cut through and need a lot of pressure so best done by a vet or the rabbit could end up with a cut and broken leg

I completely agree that rabbits from all breeders (from back yard to ones who do homechecks) can end up in rescue, the thing I've highlighted above is a bit sweeping though

There are risks with rings yes, but unless your rabbit is overweight or abnormally huge for their breed or they have fur with a huge tendency to quicky matt or you never bother to check it then they're no problem at all. I've never had a rabbit with a tight ring or a ring with anything stuck under and never have I seen any of them nibble/scrat at the ring or pay any attention to it whatsoever. Microchips have plenty of risks too. There's also the fact that if a rabbit got lost and was found by an average member of the public, many wouldn't even think about it having a microchip, let alone bother to go to the vet to get it scanned, and even then there's a chance it might not get picked up by the scanner. A ring is likely to be noticed straight away and all it takes is a phonecall to trace the owner

To avoid any confusion, I heard the word 'welded' mentioned, they aren't welded when on the rabbits leg, they come as a solid ring, they're easily slipped over the rabbits foot when its a baby and as the rabbit grows it's ankles will get too big for the ring to fall off. They come in different sizes designed for different breeds and because the exhibitors that use them are breeding to a show standard the rabbits of each breed tend to be very similar sizes, it's rare for a rabbit to become too big for its ring

think about it

But Jill if I didn't make cakes containing my cat Geoffrey's hair then these unique cakes wouldn't exist, and that would be really sad. They deserve the chance as all the other cakes don't they? They're different to all the other cakes too, so it's not really the same thing, as people specifically come to buy my ones. I sell 30 a week, and those people say if it wasn't for my cakes they wouldn't have a cake at all as that's exactly what they wanted. I'm a responsible baker, I've got my advanced food hygiene and everything :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back