• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snugglebuns - is it weird for a bunny to not want attention when his sister is around

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
So, Waffles and DP are 18 months now, and since their first birthday, have started to get more snuggly.

The day I met Waffles, she snuggled into my throat and stole my heart, and she adored me until we had her spayed, after which I had to rebuild some trust, and slowly we got to the stage where my graceful, gorgeous girl would come and tell me when she wanted to be groomed and is now happy to be picked up and tooth purr in my arms for hours or nose rubbed on the floor and I feel so incredibly privileged.

DP was always more active, inquisitive and skittish and hated snuggles. But he's also had to endure being picked up daily to transfer him from outdoor enclosure to conservatory for human time, and we've had a routine where we chase him and catch him and he seemed to really enjoy the chase so then I tried putting him on a chair for noserubs, and he would jump straight off, play chase again and then be taken back outside. But then he stayed for a few moments longer and then a few days later for a good few minutes. And now he can demand attention for about half an hour before he'll jump off the chair, groom himself, look back at me for a final circuit of chase and then wait patiently in the same spot to be picked up and sent outside again. It's amazing, and wonderful and my OH is still so surprised every time he gets to stroke him for more than a few seconds. He's obviously happy, as he can leave at any point, and both bunnies are very happy to approach us / hop on us / run away/ let us know what they're thinking - but he will never stay still to be stroked when Waffles is around - we always take her out first.

Is it that he likes having my full attention? Or is he worried that being seen as a snuggle bun will damage his reputation with her? Or that she will beat him up as she wants all the attention?! And are anyone else buns like this?

They are so awesome and beautiful and independent and loving :)

CAI-SsVWsAAtDPs.jpg:large

Bumping up for you :thumb: My pair are siblings (brothers) but neither like any touching at all!

If you were another rabbit and he was spending time with you, his wifebun might get slightly annoyed, so maybe this is a clue to this "strange" behaviour :)

I thing tonibun's post makes sense.

Your two are just gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

I don't know of any situation exactly the same as yours but yes it's definitely true that their behaviour will change depending on who's around. If they feel someone is around who challenges their dominance they will be less likely to act snuggly with anyone else.

Back