• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffles

Just a quick update for you lot :)

Charlie has been on Baytril now for just under a week and he seems to be much better now, no sneezing! YEY!!

Do you think that this has cured him now, or will he have to keep taking it?

Sarah_Jane said:
Just a quick update for you lot :)

Charlie has been on Baytril now for just under a week and he seems to be much better now, no sneezing! YEY!!

Do you think that this has cured him now, or will he have to keep taking it?

he,ll probably have to keep taking it but discuss that with the vet . He may maintain him on a low dose- say for example 0.5ml once a day for 3 weeks and then 1 week without any and then again back to 0.5ml once aday so on . It can be very hard to completely remove the pasturella infection once it occurs

hi

Thanks for that info Gina :D

Sarah-Jane - the stuff I've read on pasteurella says that over half of all bunnies test positive for it anyway - even though they have no symptoms - It's just one of those germs that lurk mostly I think - but if your bunny has had a bout of real snottiness then it will most likely recurr when it feels a bit low for some reason or other - and of course it weakens them so they feel low for a while after they've stopped sneezing, so it may come back...It's important to keep the cage/hutch clean as ammonia fumes from wee building up aggravates it I believe (can't remember where I read that though) - hope he's fought it off for good though! :D

Back