• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snowy's inside *SORRY*

You said that you
just opened her door to let her have free range

Surely that means that she's shut in there at least some of the time. I'm sorry but that "cage" is about the right size for a hamster......nothing bigger. To shut her in it at all is cruel. If she's properly free range downstairs then I'd take the plastic "lid" off as she'll find it hard to jump in and out as needed.

Whilst she's settling in I'd watch out for the dog and cat. It's not fair to have them in her space if she's not used to it. Never leave them alone together....not even for a minute....as you don't know how they'll react. It only takes a second for a dog/cat to kill a bun, even if they don't mean to.

I agree with what's been said about sawdust, so that's something to think about. The hay looks like it smells lovely!! :love:

Honestly I wouldn't bring her inside due to your allergies because if you did have to put her back out what would you do? Maybe wait until it's spring/summer and try her inside and see how you feel. Then if your allergies are too bad you can easily put her back outside.

I hope I don't sound like a downer. I just have a lot of allergies and wanted my bunnies inside too but I only made myself sick while they were fine outside. :wave:

I'm leaving her where she is...Thank you :wave: I've been and checked on her and shes quite happy and warm. I honestly dont think she would like it inside, and my allergies do bear into that as well. I have 5 dogs inside and also 2 cats so she is better in a lovely big shed. She was a stray who was found by someone who tried to keep her as a house bun but she chewed through wires, was electrocuted and then handed over to p@h. She is happy in our company but really isnt 'tame', she'll come for treats etc but I think she wouldn't like it inside with us all here.

Don't worry it's unlikely to do any harm for a few days, espeically if it's well covered.

Just to warn you, once you bring a bunny in you'll never manage to put them back again. You'll find yourself too in love, and spending all your time with them. :love:

I can vouch for this and now have 4!!

Honestly I wouldn't bring her inside due to your allergies because if you did have to put her back out what would you do? Maybe wait until it's spring/summer and try her inside and see how you feel. Then if your allergies are too bad you can easily put her back outside.

I hope I don't sound like a downer. I just have a lot of allergies and wanted my bunnies inside too but I only made myself sick while they were fine outside. :wave:

I used to have all these allergies and had tried absolutely everything, and then discovered acupunture. Now I only need a session once every couple of years or so, and don't take any meds now either. Have you tried it? Believe me it really does work.

I used to have all these allergies and had tried absolutely everything, and then discovered acupunture. Now I only need a session once every couple of years or so, and don't take any meds now either. Have you tried it? Believe me it really does work.

You know.. yes I really need to try this acupunture. I have heard so many good things about it. Perhaps, it would even help my sinus pain?

Thanks for reminding me to check into this. :D

You said that you

Surely that means that she's shut in there at least some of the time. I'm sorry but that "cage" is about the right size for a hamster......nothing bigger. To shut her in it at all is cruel. If she's properly free range downstairs then I'd take the plastic "lid" off as she'll find it hard to jump in and out as needed.

Whilst she's settling in I'd watch out for the dog and cat. It's not fair to have them in her space if she's not used to it. Never leave them alone together....not even for a minute....as you don't know how they'll react. It only takes a second for a dog/cat to kill a bun, even if they don't mean to.

I agree with what's been said about sawdust, so that's something to think about. The hay looks like it smells lovely!! :love:

I concur :thumb::thumb:

The cage is the size I'd take to the vets as a carrier. Nothing more :cry:

You said that you

I agree. I rescued a lionhead rabbit that had lived in a cage like that for 3 years. I then used the cage for a syrian hamster, who was very happy with it :)

I can foresee muscle wastage and damaged spine and alsorts happening here. I'm sorry but you cannot even use this as a night time cage.

Is she ever locked in the cage? If not then all is good :)

How did she get on in the house overnight?

morning all,

Snowy enjoys being inside, she's been free roaming all morning with me watching her so she's snug and warm.

Hi :wave: i'm glad Snowy is enjoying herself :) i would have a look on ebay though and try to find something bigger for her cage. She can't be shut in that hamster cage any longer than about an hour, she wouldn't even be able to stand up on her back legs :(

Hi :wave: i'm glad Snowy is enjoying herself :) i would have a look on ebay though and try to find something bigger for her cage. She can't be shut in that hamster cage any longer than about an hour, she wouldn't even be able to stand up on her back legs :(

She's not shut in! She was for about 2 hours while she was settling in but is was out from 7-10pm last night and from 6am today xo

You know.. yes I really need to try this acupunture. I have heard so many good things about it. Perhaps, it would even help my sinus pain?

Thanks for reminding me to check into this. :D

It really will do. I honestly could do believe how well it worked and was very scepticle of it (not sure if that is spelt right?) On my first session, I had to be driven there, could hardly breathe, and in a terrible state, could hardly make it up the stairs, but an hour or so later, was a completely different story. It was just amazing. It isn't especially painful, but it is uncomfortable, and I didn't like the pins in my face, but on the other hand, where the pins went in, it was like some blockage being opened up and everything seemed to just flow out of my system if that makes sense. It is just brilliant and you will never regret trying it. I was so severe with allergies, couldn't drive, work, even had to have help looking after house and my baby, but it gave me my life back, and have never been like that since. People say it doesn't or shouldn't hurt, but actually if you don't feel the pins going in, then they are not in the right place and it will not work, but the discomfort I felt was a small price to pay for getting my life back. Good Luck.

She's not shut in! She was for about 2 hours while she was settling in but is was out from 7-10pm last night and from 6am today xo

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but doesnt that mean she was shut in it from 10-6? Bunnies are crepuscular, their active periods tend to be around dawn and dust. Mine are often active at around 11ish and around 6ish so that is the time they need to have lots of space.

I agree with what others have been saying , I would never dream of putting my bunnies in that hamster cage even for a vet trip, are you able to get a playpen then take the lid off that cage and use it as a litter tray for her?

I'll just leave her in her hutch then, mum says we're not buying a pen -.-
So i'll put her back in the hutch.

Back