• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skin Mites

GroovyLou

Warren Scout
Hi, im wondering if anyone could help me to keep the mites away....

My bun has had skin mites before a 3-4 months back and we took him to the vets and he had this spot on stuff. We had to take him back 2 weeks later for some more and then they gave us the rest to put on him 2 weeks later after that. It did clear up and it wasnt until a few weeks ago i noticed he had some dry skin in his ears so we got some spot on stuff from pets at home (cheaper) thinking it would work. I have had a look at him tonight and have found its now back where it was on his neck and still in his ears, but not so bad as last time. His five years old and he never suffered from this before until this year.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening. I already spray his hutch everytime i clean it with cage and hutch insect spray from pets at home. He lives outside in his hutch and runs about in the garden.

Thanks x

hi,
you need to treat your bun with the veterinary strength stuff - it was prob Xeno 450 you had last time (judging by the spot on every two weeks for 6 weeks you describe) and you can buy this over the counter from your vets WITHOUT a prescription. Most of the stuff you buy at pet shops is not strong enough to completely get rid of mites/flees/etc because its not veterinary strength.
Secondly, buy a house treatment spray that is used to get rid of fleas etc (such as Acclaim or Indorex, available from your vet). When i had two foster bunnies with cheyletiella (rabbit fur mite), i used Xeno 450 (dose as indicated on packet) and i sprayed the hutch with Acclaim, one of the household sprays mentioned above (i contacted the manufacturer who informed me it was fine to use the spray in the hutch and run so long as it was allowed to fully dry and 'air out' before i put the bunnies back in.) I never had a repeat problem with mites.

The oly other thing to consider is that there is an underlying health problem with your bun. Cheyletiella lives on many rabbits without causing a problem, however, if the rabbit becomes stressed or ill, the mite can take advantage of the bunny's poorer state and then be a problem (which is what you see when your bunny is covered in 'dandruff). As your rabbit is 5 years old, it may be worth him having a full health check, including his teeth, as he may have problems grooming. If your completely sure he is well - then use the treatment above.

Hope that helps!

Thank You for your advise. He did have a full heath check when he went to the vets and they were very please with him and his teeth are fine. They did say he was a little over weight not by much and to try and get his weight down. I think I have been able to do this, but will see when he goes to the vet next saturday for his mixie injection and full heath check again!

Not sure if I can treat him now and then next weekend he has his mixie jab :?

I didnt release you can get the spot on stuff and not see a vet, sure this will be cheaper and more effective. May pop to vets today and ask.

Thanks once again x

Back