• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sister bonding

lolasuggs

New Kit
Hi again everyone

So we are doing ok with our 11 week old sisters after that one scuffle last week which appeared to be related to the noise of next doors pump. They seem very happy in each others company, eating together, grooming each other and we appear to see which one looks most likely to become the dominant one (more confident, will barge the other one out of the way etc and the other one will move). So although we are monitoring it closely we are hopeful they might bond as adults once spayed and hoping we wont need separation in the meantime. I just wanted to ask about humping! We havent really seen any other challenging behaviour with them, but last night when in their enclose the one we suspect will be dominant appeared to mount the other in a humpy way (theyre from a very experienced breeder so we are sure theyre both girls). It was just a couple of seconds and the other rabbit didnt do anything (like run away or seem to care) - I kind of rattled their food and she got off and there was no problem - so my question is, should I just ignore this (as long as the other rabbit doesnt seem to mind and no fighting ensues?) Any thoughts?

You will need to keep a close watch on things. If the Doe being humped suddenly gets fed up with it a fight could kick off. Also, if the Doe doing the humping does so from front to back the Doe being humped may bite her genitals.

Yes, they may be able to remain together, but do be prepared to act quickly if things get lively.

Yes, just ignore humping that is being tolerated. I hope your other thread gave you hope & allowed you to be cautiously optimistic.

The thing with 2 Sisters is one is always the dominant one and can bully the other one quite badly, but not always. 11 weeks is still young for any fighting and you will just have to "play it by ear" so to speak. My first 2 Rabbits were Sisters and they got along reasonably well, one was definitely the boss and the other one didn't always like it but they never fought. Bonds between boy and girl are definitely closer.

Thank you - theyre doing so well, theyre already using the litter tray and seem really happy - I think although im optimistic I just feel like its a ticking time bomb and its taking the enjoyment off it a bit to be honest - I said to my partner id rather it just be resolved as theyre both so lovely Id quite happily house them next to each other and double the size of the enclosure so they could be next to each other but have lots of space - but then I know that most rabbits want company! Going to be a long few months I think.

Back