• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i get them spayed?

my vet gave me all the information so that i could be responsible for my own decision because i have to live with the results - good or bad.

he said neutering is after all a form of mutilation - which is true no matter what it is called.

my local sanctuary only neuters the males- it is much less risky than females.

there are pros and cons although i understand and appreciate the full reasons as to why the pros of neutering are so readily being pushed- there is a lack of con information and true statistical data. i was happy with my vet for not sugar coating the situation for me and telling me the truth.

For a good vet the operation is not risk. General anaesthetic always carries some risk but for females the risk of the operation far outweighs the risk of illness if they are not spayed. If you want statistics, 80% of female rabbits develop uterine cancer by the age of five if they are not spayed. Each vet will also have their own success rate. I would want to know exactly how many female rabbits they have spayed and want their success rate to be over 99%!

I believe all female rabbits should be spayed, it stops cancer, it stops cage aggression and phantom pregnancies and it makes them calmer, happier and easier to bond. For a good vet the risk is so small I think it's always worth it. :wave:

Hope you find a good vet soon!
I've just had Angel spayed about a week and a bit ago.
She has started to calm down a lot and it's just as well that I got it done when I did, because when the vet spayed her she found cysts on her ovaries.
Which explains why Angel was having mood swings and a phantom pregnancy. ( she's not even a year old yet either! :shock: )
And once they're both spayed and have a neutered husbun I bet they'll be the happiest buns ever :)

Back