• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She's here!!!!!!U/D Grooming!! :)

Ok, so I checked Gladys all over, and found bald patches around her bottom. THere were a couple of larger ones where such a large chunk of fur had been pulled that the skin had come away too, but only a thin layer. I think this was where there were matts and they got pulled out.

I rang Karen from ARC and she reassured me that she wasn't going to get gangrene and her bum fall off! :shock:
It's not bleeding or even weeping so I think it's fine. I'll check later and see whether it needs cleaning or disinfecting, but I'm reluctant right now because of adding another strange smell.

So far all is calm *touch wood*. Any ideas how long the average bonding takes?

Sounds like she'll be fine. They heal really quickly.

Bonding times vary, my last trio took 6 weeks, but some can be done in a day, sounds like your two are doing ok.

THat sounds good. THey are spending most of their time lying about a foot or so apart nibbling hay, not necessarily paying attention to one another.

> Elve: I checked her dewlap and it's fine :)

another good way to split them up if they do decide to fight in a bit, is pop a washing basket over one of them (also a good way to catch a runaway bunny half way across the garden :lol:)

i can just see you running down the garden, flying through the air with a washing basket and landing on a runaway rabbit! :lol:

Nigel is being a proper grumpy bum. She's trying her best to snuggle with him and lying right under his chin. He's just ignoring her and carrying on eating hay! He won't acknowledge her at all!

On the up side he's not hurting her, no pulling fur anymore, but there's no love.... :(

Sounds like it's going brilliantly! If they are that close to each other without scrapping then that's really promising. If she is laying under his chin, she may be trying to tell him that she's in charge and trying to get him to groom her. By ignoring her, he's saying that he's not going to give into the lady too easily :lol: It can take up to several weeks, at least several days, before you are likely to see *proper* love so don't panic that one is ignoring the other, it's perfectly normal.

Just as I finished posting, she crept up and tried to hump him for the first time :shock: that started a tussle and more fur flew. These are HUGE clumps. Are they kicked out? I don't think they are bitten. If it doesn't stop they are going to go bald! :shock:
They aren't hurt but some of the patches are as big as 10p's when you pull the fur back! *sore*

I've heard of putting stuff on their heads to promote grooming, is it honey? Or is this a last ditch attempt?

Your poor nerves must be shot, it's horrible watching them scuffle, isn't it? I understand that fur loss (while looks horrid), is absolutely fine during the bonding period providing the 'scuffles' don't involve the rabbits locking onto one another (from experience this has involved flying at one another, jawlocks, clinging onto each others sides and whirling around). Chasing, fur pulling and nipping all ok as long as there is no full on fighting. My two are with their new partners at the mo, since the weather got nice the female of one pair has been humping, circling and fur pullling like there's no tomorrow :roll: . Good luck, you are doing fine, Claire

Just as I finished posting, she crept up and tried to hump him for the first time :shock: that started a tussle and more fur flew. These are HUGE clumps. Are they kicked out? I don't think they are bitten. If it doesn't stop they are going to go bald! :shock:
They aren't hurt but some of the patches are as big as 10p's when you pull the fur back! *sore*

I've heard of putting stuff on their heads to promote grooming, is it honey? Or is this a last ditch attempt?

Big clumps of fur is often normal, do not worry.

I have only just spotted this thread, I would try and keep them in the same place for a good few days without moving them about, moving them just confuses them, let them get to know each other in one place and then slowly extend the space they have.

I'll keep them inside from now on then. :) I bought them a bag of Excel Herbage today to take their minds off it and they haven't stopped munching! It's full of dried dandelion flowers and smells lovely! :D

I'll keep them inside from now on then. :) I bought them a bag of Excel Herbage today to take their minds off it and they haven't stopped munching! It's full of dried dandelion flowers and smells lovely! :D

You will get there in the end, just perservere and it will all settle down. Just keep everything the same from day to day for now, once you feel that they have settled then give them more space slowly. At this stage I usually dont feed them as I would normally, I keep providing tit bits including their pellets spread over the period of a day. I sprinkle everything rather than use a bowl.

You will get there in the end, just perservere and it will all settle down. Just keep everything the same from day to day for now, once you feel that they have settled then give them more space slowly. At this stage I usually dont feed them as I would normally, I keep providing tit bits including their pellets spread over the period of a day. I sprinkle everything rather than use a bowl.

Yeah I have been sprinkling everything and dropping in little bits of treats every now and then too. I think they'll be fine. *touch wood*

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! :wave: It's so nerve wracking at this time, every thump might be an injury! :shock:

They are snuggled together today and Nigel keeps cleaning her ears and head :love:
I caught him doing it this morning and he did a big bunny flop after! :D

I slept next to the run and it was a very quiet to night too :)

Back