• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serious Concerns About a 'Rescue'

I don't know which ads/rescue you're refering to so I'm just going by what's posted here.

If they buy babies and then sell them on they would need a pet shop licence.

If they buy a rabbit and breed from it then sell the babies that's just breeding. However there is a difference between breeding as a hobby (e.g. breeding to show and selling excess stock) and breeding commercially (e.g. breeding to sell). If they do the second then they would need to be registered as a business/trader to pay tax and there could be planning issues.

Tamsin

If they buy a rabbit and breed from it then sell the babies that's just breeding. However there is a difference between breeding as a hobby (e.g. breeding to show and selling excess stock) and breeding commercially (e.g. breeding to sell). If they do the second then they would need to be registered as a business/trader to pay tax and there could be planning issues.

Tamsin

They breed to sell. They dont Show and AFAIK are not members of the BRC.

They apparently breed to sell to fund the 'Rescue'...................

Janex

I've seen the same advert and yes they are breeding babies as well to sell and advertising for baby bunnies and unwanted bunnies all for the purpose of breeding and then calling themselves a rescue

:(

Would trading standards be able to do anything? Considering they are advertising as a rescue and they are not, plus they don't have a trading licence and they are commiting fraud.

if they are implying that they are a charity and are misleading people as to how much of the donation goes to charity then trading standards may be able to get involved. although in this case the donations are rabbits, so might be a bit difficult to prove anything. still it might scare them a bit if they were asked questions. trading standards are enforced by local councils but councils are often rubbish at communicating between departments so might be worth making a complaint to both trading standards and the licensing department.
Another approach is to get local press involved in revealing the scam. name and shame can be pretty eeffective as well as warning off potential customers.

Are they a registered charity? Organisations of a charitable nature are obliged to register if their turnover is over £1000 a year. If they are selling to fund the rescue then there are governing documents and rules that have to be followed to transfer assets from effectively what is a company sale into a charity one.

Try the Inland Revenue, too - they have a "whistleblower" line and if you can provide evidence such as adverts to prove the level of income, then there is a good chance they will be issued with a hefty tax-bill ;) (this has been used to good effect in cases of commercial/BY dog-breeding) :?

Its been removed theres no sign of it on there anymore:D
i did report it to freeads who else did? may it did make a difference:D

Back