• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scooby and Rachel, bonding has commenced

Tracy

Warren Veteran
They are together in the bathroom and I am spying through a crack in the door.

It has to be very much a hands off bonding due to Rachel's wildie traits. I put the carriers in the room, opened the doors and then came out of the room to leave them to it. Scooby went into Rachel's carrier, she didn't seem to mind. Rachel then came out to have a look around and has now gone into a third carrier which is behind the door so I can't see what she's doing. Scooby has had something to eat and is now hopping around, intermittently stopping to groom himself....he obviously wants to look his best.

Please can you keep fingers, paws, and anything else you can think of crossed. We really need this to work.

Awww it's sounding so positive already, although obviously very early days. Sending loads of good bonding vibes.

It's still very quiet and calm. Rachel has squeezed herself between the carrier and the wall, not unusual for her as she seems to like squeezing into uncomfortable looking places, and Scooby is sitting in the carrier. I think I am going to have to shut the door completely and just trust them as Rachel will not show normal behaviour if she knows I am lurking around. We'll set a camera up this evening, which will be better as I'll be able to watch them without being too near the room.

I think I'll go downstairs and have some lunch and check back a little later.

It's still very quiet. Scooby is going about his business, but Rachel is just hiding in the corner, squashed between the wall and the carrier. I don't think it is anything to do with Scooby, I think she is just really unhappy and unnerved with being in the house.

I'm tempted just to move them outside into a kennel, so that Rachel will be happier, and then just keep going out to check on them. I've swapped bunnies around so that there is a kennel neutral to both Rachel and Scooby, and I've thoroughly cleaned it this evening and put new rugs in etc. I know you wouldn't normally move them only 7 hours into bonding, but with Rachel's issues this isn't going to be a normal bond. She's a very private little girl and I think she will relax and be herself if she is back outside. I'm just going to have to be brave, trust them and go for it.

I have taken the plunge and moved them outside. I have the light on in the run area of the accommodation so I can see what they are doing from an upstairs window of our house. Rachel was instantly like a different rabbit, she is hopping around, exploring and interacting with Scooby. Scooby half heartedly tried to mount her, gave up and then just carried on hopping around with Rachel.

I've not seen anything that causes me worry, it's early days but things seem to be progressing nicely and certainly much better now that Rachel is away from those nasty humans.

Things still seem to be calm this morning. :D

Scooby is quite wary of the confident version of Rachel. She isn't chasing him or being aggressive, but every time she goes up to him he runs off. His behaviour was similar when he was first bonded with Minnie, he's a wimp when it comes to girls. :roll: I think he just needs time to get used to Rachel.

It's really hard to stand back and just let them get on with it, but I really can't think of any other way of doing it because of Rachel's issues with people. The instant difference in her behaviour once she was back outside really highlighted just how much humans affect her.

Here are a few pics taken last night.

Rachel%252520and%252520Scooby_bonding%25252001.jpg

Rachel%252520and%252520Scooby_bonding%25252002.jpg

Rachel%252520and%252520Scooby_bonding%25252003.jpg

That's great :thumb: lovely pics :love: it just shows you really know your rabbits personalities and can adapt bonding to suit :thumb:

What a glorious set up that is. So glad that the lovely Rachel has such quality rabbit company. Sounds like the dream bond so far.

Glad to hear the bond is going well, I still have everything crossed that it continues. Sounds like it's going to be the ideal set up: Rachel the battle axe and Scooby the hen pecked husband! This time tomorrow she'll probably have him in a pinny doing the ironing!

Back