• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scalding of urine

KCG

Warren Veteran
I noticed this in the dot size when Cookie had his butt wet. Cookie no longer has butt wetness, but I noticed this blemish got bigger today. Do you think this is scalding urine?

https://imguh.com/image/kVsVe
https://imguh.com/image/kVJrd

By the way, I showed it to the vet when this blemish was as big as a blemish and she said it still doesn't matter and didn't give any treatment.

Looks like stained fur, need to check the skin underneath which I can’t see in the images

This is urine scald

zHWHVv1.jpg

That doesn't look like urine scald. Rabbit skin is normally quite pale (at least on a white rabbit). With urine scald it goes red and then angry / sore due to the constant contact with urine - a bit like nappy rash in human babies.

Looks like stained fur, need to check the skin underneath which I can’t see in the images

This is urine scald

zHWHVv1.jpg

That doesn't look like urine scald. Rabbit skin is normally quite pale (at least on a white rabbit). With urine scald it goes red and then angry / sore due to the constant contact with urine - a bit like nappy rash in human babies.

I was wondering if it could be the start of scalding urine. If not then what is this then blood?

Nah looks like the start of a sore hock, mine all have them, it's pretty normal tbh!

What sort of flooring is he on?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

What is "sore hock" ? There's a dog pad and a hay in the litter tray. Other than that, he's walking around in the normal house

I just looked what "sore hock" is, yes it looks the same. Is it my fault? :( I wonder if it's because of the wet butt he just experienced?

I just looked what "sore hock" is, yes it looks the same. Is it my fault? :( I wonder if it's because of the wet butt he just experienced?
Nahh it's not the wet butt, it's friction, is he walking in carpet at all? That can often cause it

Nahh it's not the wet butt, it's friction, is he walking in carpet at all? That can often cause it

Yes, walks and lies on the carpet but the carpet is soft :( But I will ask something, until 1 week ago his feet and butt were getting wet with urine. That's when I first saw it, didn't exist before.

Last edited:
Carpet may be soft to us, but rabbit feet are not made for walking on it. Man-made fibres can be quite harsh on bunny feet - thin skin and soft fur don't stand up to the extra friction.
I would just keep a close eye on the sore patch on his foot. If it gets very flakey or bleeds, you need to seek further advice. Also check his nails - if they are not wearing down, they may need cutting so that he is using his feet properly. Longer nails can alter the weight distribution on the feet and contribute to pressure points like this.

Carpet may be soft to us, but rabbit feet are not made for walking on it. Man-made fibres can be quite harsh on bunny feet - thin skin and soft fur don't stand up to the extra friction.
I would just keep a close eye on the sore patch on his foot. If it gets very flakey or bleeds, you need to seek further advice. Also check his nails - if they are not wearing down, they may need cutting so that he is using his feet properly. Longer nails can alter the weight distribution on the feet and contribute to pressure points like this.
Yea I agree with this :)

Yea I agree with this :)

I understand, and Cookie's nails are not long normal, his nails are cut all the time. How is it treated? I'm sure the vet didn't know that, I sent a picture and from what she said I can tell she didn't

Back