• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Saying goodbye to the baby rabbits I rescued

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
So this isn;t easy but soon I will have to say good bye to the baby rabbits I rescued who will be going to new homes. I'm being a bit naughty by hanging onto two of the babies which I'm going to go get fixed by vets4pets and vaccinated and they will live with Lacey and Lamb Chop who are also in the process of being fixed. Lucky my other bunny wants to fight the others so he will take some work to re-bond him with the others. Lucky has already been done.

In your post where the RSPCA visited, you said they wouldn't return as long as you rehomed the babies , have you advised them you're planning to keep two? Honestly if you are having trouble bonding Lucky maybe it is best to stay with what you previously had to allow you more time and space if you plan to re-bond. If he is quite territorial, smelling other Rabbits may not be helpful when you come to try and re-bond.

Lacey gets on well with the babies she is very genital and I'm sure I can bond Lamb Chop with them its just Lucky will require more work to bond.

Lacey gets on well with the babies she is very genital and I'm sure I can bond Lamb Chop with them its just Lucky will require more work to bond.

If Lacey isn’t neutered which you state she isn’t then she should not be in contact with the babies.

I understand what your saying but shes perfectly fine with them, it won't be for much longer because all the babies apart from two are being re-homed . The two babies and Lacey will be castrated. Lacey is next on the list after Lamb Chop. The two babies will get there vaccines first then they will be taken together for castration. I'm already making arrangements.

I understand what your saying but shes perfectly fine with them, it won't be for much longer because all the babies apart from two are being re-homed . The two babies and Lacey will be castrated. Lacey is next on the list after Lamb Chop. The two babies will get there vaccines first then they will be taken together for castration. I'm already making arrangements.

I think the concern is that if any of the Babies are Bucks they will be fertile very, very soon. The last thing you want is more babies. Please don’t think people are having a go at you, most of us are just trying to help :)

I know people aren't having a go and I completely understand the concern, I realize its not the best thing to do in an ideal world but I have a plan in motion so by the time any of them turn out to be bucks they would have already been castrated. I am checking them daily but I'm almost certain that the two babies I'm hanging onto are female. Once Lacey has been for her spay, she'll be separated temporally while her stitches are healing but she will still be able to see the others just so any bond is still kept intact she'll just wont be able to be with them until she is healed. I'm doing exactly the same for the two babies.

Last edited:
The time when the bond is most likely to be damaged is when the babies become teenagers and are all hormonal. So many rabbit bonds break down over that. Also female and female are the most difficult of all the bonds. Male female being the easiest.

It’s very hard to keep 2 sisters together without the bond breaking as they mature before they are spayed. Adding a 3rd adult female into the mix who is un - neutered would make the situation far worse.

That is true but from my own experience, if you put a baby rabbit with an adult rabbit and never separate them that bond continues. I did that with my old rabbits and I had two bonded does for many years.

That is true but from my own experience, if you put a baby rabbit with an adult rabbit and never separate them that bond continues. I did that with my old rabbits and I had two bonded does for many years.

Ok. Different to my experience in hundreds of rabbits then :)

Maybe I just got lucky... they were both unspayed too. I know 3 or more does would fight but its very possible to bond 2 does together. Two un-neutered bucks could fight to the death. I find that un-neutered bucks are very aggressive towards there owners but un-spayed does are very genital and friendly.

In my experience the girls are definitely the more fiesty even after spay.

While my boys have both done a bit of fur pulling etc, the girls have always been the aggressor with growling, boxing etc although more affectionate with me.

You might just be lucky that she's particularly docile but the babies might not be. I wouldn't set your heart on keeping anyone until they've all been done. Although I know that's far easier said than done.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Maybe I just got lucky... they were both unspayed too. I know 3 or more does would fight but its very possible to bond 2 does together. Two un-neutered bucks could fight to the death. I find that un-neutered bucks are very aggressive towards there owners but un-spayed does are very genital and friendly.

That is definitely not correct, Infact it couldn’t get further from it. Unspayed does are far from gentle and friendly!

That is definitely not correct, Infact it couldn’t get further from it. Unspayed does are far from gentle and friendly!

This hasn't been my experience. Yes,I have had some horrors. I have had some quite challenging spayed does too. But one of my closest bonds ever was with an unneutered doe (before I had the confidence to have them spayed). Scrabble was the only doe I have owned that I didn't get spayed. She was absolutely adorable, very licky and cuddly, nudging for cuddles. She was a bit of a nightmare with humping but definitely not aggressive. I have had many does that have been friendly and cuddly before being spayed, I did it for health/bonding reasons not down to challenging behaviour. As a general rule, I have found bucks more sociable but I would say a high proportion of does have also been of pleasant temperament.

This hasn't been my experience. Yes,I have had some horrors. I have had some quite challenging spayed does too. But one of my closest bonds ever was with an unneutered doe (before I had the confidence to have them spayed). Scrabble was the only doe I have owned that I didn't get spayed. She was absolutely adorable, very licky and cuddly, nudging for cuddles. She was a bit of a nightmare with humping but definitely not aggressive. I have had many does that have been friendly and cuddly before being spayed, I did it for health/bonding reasons not down to challenging behaviour. As a general rule, I have found bucks more sociable but I would say a high proportion of does have also been of pleasant temperament.

Interesting. I rescue, and have done for over ten years. Certainly had a very different experience to yourself :)

It might be because rabbits can detect what gender there owners are... maybe female rabbit owners have better bonds with bucks and male owners have better bonds with does. I know that might sound ridiculous but I wouldn't be surprised. Some of my rabbits have really surprised like for example I found out that rabbits can see in color or at least know the color of something from some experiments I did with some colored objects and food.

The baby bunnies have started to learn how to use the litter tray. I find it really sad that a lot of rabbits are being dumped or given up and one of the reasons is that there are no rabbit vets apart from one that is left. I found out yesterday that many of the small independent vets that did rabbits as well as many other animals have been taken over by Medivet who only deal with dogs & cats. We desperately need some more rabbit vets here in the UK.

Back