• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe woods to build with

elmoandfern

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, I'd like to build the rabbits some hides etc. because the ones online are so expensive! What kind of woods are safe to build with? Both of mine are big chewers and one is a cardboard box eater so I want to be careful with what I use. If anyone has recommendation for affordable rabbit furniture online then that would be great too :) thanks so much! :love:

I recently read about it since I also want to try a DIY and I found that Pine wood it's pretty good. The only aspect you should pay attention is to be chemical free.

I just use wood from old pallets, as long as they are untreated they are safe. Most pallets are marked with what kind of treatment they got "HT", heat treated, is safe. Actually haven't seen anything else.
If I do not want them to chew a certain part I paint it with diluted rabbit urine, they aren't keen about nibbling soiled stuff - and it's so little I can't notice.

Back