• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

safe to post now but WHAT A *censored* night-U/D back from vets and all is OK :)

I suppose each bun is different donnamt.
Thumper doesn't dribble, but he can always manage to swallow his own saliva. He'll stop eating before his tongue ulcerates. I've tried to understand him for 41/2 years now. He invariably tries to sort himself out health wise, with what he's got.

When he got a piece of string stuck in his gullet he went bananas eating the toughest hay he could find, to push it through. Neither I nor the vet had a clue what was wrong until it came out the other end with 11 poop beads stuck on it!! :shock::shock: Little boy sorted himself out!

i wonder why alvin gives up then :? maybe inside him somewhere its unsortable so he just stops eating :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sending vibes for the lovely Alvin.

The first signs I could see for my Bungee-Bun when she needed a dental was that she would run to food (normal) and then run away without touching it :cry: She never dribbled or any of the signs to look for - just stopped eating or looked very unhappy around food. She would always eat bread though :love:

Sending vibes for the lovely Alvin.

The first signs I could see for my Bungee-Bun when she needed a dental was that she would run to food (normal) and then run away without touching it :cry: She never dribbled or any of the signs to look for - just stopped eating or looked very unhappy around food. She would always eat bread though :love:

yeahs hes been doing that, buzzes me on approach then he sniffed and ran away.. from parsley :shock::shock::shock:

i've always said that my rabbits will be the death of me :roll:

yup, i think i have the two most unhealthiest buns ever, i sort of wonder what am i doing wrong :?:?:?

i have just been given a beautiful pile of poops, not stasis size neither and its another hour before im due to give a top up of drugs...maybe i should think about heating up the baked spuds i didnt eat last night :oops:

i wonder why alvin gives up then :? maybe inside him somewhere its unsortable so he just stops eating :cry::cry::cry::cry:

He isn't giving up donnamt. If his teeth are hurting his mouth when he chews, the only thing he can do is to stop eating to stop rubbing his mouth on the spurs, & hope the pain settles down before his gut stops. This way he has a chance of getting through it for a while.

If he carries on eating he'll just get ulcers, it'll be incredibly painful to move his tongue at all, he'll have to dribble & he'd be finished. He doesn't know you'll take him to a vet to sort it out for him.
He's actually trying to keep going as long as he can.

Alvin is a great fighter for life, as well as other ways! Remember the cardboard after stasis - NOT suicidal trying to block himself up - he was desperate for fiber, any fiber he could get hold of to get his gut moving.

well he dont trust me at all now hes feeling better so i devised a cunning plan... i mixed metacam and fibreplex and banana into a nice slush (x2 except pearl just got banana lol) put it on a wooden spoon and let him medicate himself.. ive been so worried at the thought of having to have yet another fight with him.. i hate banana but its my hero right now... hopefully hell get down to some serious hay eating overnight ready to get the vets verdict :D

i didnt want to waste precious metaclop incase he sniffed out the metacam so will have to hide that seperately.. im so releived i wont have to catch him till the morning now lol

i found about half a teaspoon of white sludgy pee in the litter tray today... do you think theres soemthing really wrong with Alvin or could it be cus i upped the veg and pellets to keep him eating... i feel so sick i just wanna go back to bed and forget all about these sick bunnies :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry I have no answers for you, Donna, but I hope that things improve for you very soon xxx

I wonder if his problems are actually all related to 'bladder sludge'

The pattern of episodes of 'not eating' abdominal pain and reduced gut motility all point towards bladder problems as a possibility
Has he ever had an abdominal xray or U/S to see if he has lots of sludge building up in his bladder ?
Bladder sludge can also be the reason why some Buns HATE being handled and medicated.

Personally I'd want the Vet to rule out a bladder problem and not just treat symptoms

Lots of vibes for him

xx

I wonder if his problems are actually all related to 'bladder sludge'

The pattern of episodes of 'not eating' abdominal pain and reduced gut motility all point towards bladder problems as a possibility
Has he ever had an abdominal xray or U/S to see if he has lots of sludge building up in his bladder ?
Bladder sludge can also be the reason why some Buns HATE being handled and medicated.

Personally I'd want the Vet to rule out a bladder problem and not just treat symptoms

Lots of vibes for him

xx

nope no xrays, but with Artie having the same type symptoms i will be asking today if it could be that... he seems so normal again today but as always im worried that its just the drugs keeping him eating :?

Try not to worry too much donnamt. Thumper's wee always goes like that when he needs a dental. It's mainly that he doesn't drink so much, less because of a change in diet, & an outside possibility that when his gut slows down a bit he absorbs more calcium.
The great thing is that you've kept Alvin's gut on the move, & he's weeing.
Everything crossed that your vet can sort it out for him today.
Please keep us up to date.

nope no xrays, but with Artie having the same type symptoms i will be asking today if it could be that... he seems so normal again today but as always im worried that its just the drugs keeping him eating :?

In my experience bladder sludge causes intermitent 'symptoms' in the early stages so I agree that ruling this out would be a good idea.
Also checking teeth agai. Dental problems and bladder problems can go hand-in-hand.

xx

she had a good check of him. no signs of teeth problems, even at the back where she cant see there was no signs of stored food that would get stuck on the jagged teeth if there were some, gums were in perfect nick :D:D:D:D:D... i mentioned my concern over bladder slugde a few times and she thinks that its not that and in her experience with bunnies some are just prone :oops: she is now the third vet that has told me its the way Alvin is and theres no concrete reason, no symptoms to suggest anything sinister is going on inside, he was as every other time hes been seen after a stasis episode perfectly bright and healthy, weight is stable infact hes fatter than last time :oops:, she said the pee was possibly just because id changed his diet to get him to eat and that he probably hadnt drunk much neither so got rid of the calcuim himself, if it was sludge there he may not of even peed it out at all.. she even suggested its possibly the drop in temp made him huddle up and because he wasnt moving about his gut slowed too... that makes sense because he had stasis the last time we got snow, i remember thinking how eating the snow had helped getting his gut moving again (ste gave them a bowl to play with lol).

next time im not allowed to panic :oops: i have to give the meds atleast 12 hours to work and if im still concerned then make an evening appointment to give him another day to recover or not and get further treatment from them.

he bit her shoulder and she will bruise :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I'm very relieved that Alvin doesn't have dental problems.
Although I can understand how difficult it is when your bun's guts stop working, there is no obvious reason for it, & you've done all the right things for him.
The temperature factor does make a lot of sense. My vets have said about it too.
Hoping for a very rapid recovery for Alvin, so he can get his Christmas nom noms.

Back