• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWA FIRST ALERT ref Floods Pls Read

Dasonix

Mama Doe
Just had this first alert e-mail from RWA, As I know a few of you dont get the first alerts I thought it best to cross post it here for your ref

We have had some very distressing calls to the helpline about cases
where pet rabbits have died in areas hit by the recent floods. We are
sure that RWA members already know to check that their rabbits will
not be affected by rising water. However, those of you who live in
areas where there is likely to be more flooding, plesae tell your
friends and colleagues to check that their pets are safe from harm.
Owners should have sturdy cardboard boxes or carrying cases ready in
case they need to take their rabbit inside at a moment's notice. They
also need a space in the house put aside to ensure that if they do
need to bring animals in, then it's as quick and stress-free as
possible.

Please also contact your local radio or newspaper and ask them to
raise awareness of the above to owners who might otherwise not
consider it. Rabbits in a hutch have nowhere to run if the water
starts rising.

Please be ready for the worst and try and pass this on to as many
people as you can in areas where more floods are likely.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently - a whole housing estate in Rotherham has been evacuated due to possible flooding, and I'm sure there will be bunnies and piggies left in gardens with no care now, dying of thirst and hunger :(

My friend and neighbour bunny and piggy sat this weekend and I told her that if we should flood (we do live in a flood high risk village) could she make sure they got to higher ground and she laughed :?

I'm going to contact our local paper and ask them to run the story cos I don't think people would necessarily think about their rabbit in their rush to get out. One flooded area last week had one minute to evacuate so you really need to have carriers at the ready

I've been thinking about this a lot recently - a whole housing estate in Rotherham has been evacuated due to possible flooding, and I'm sure there will be bunnies and piggies left in gardens with no care now, dying of thirst and hunger :(

at least one rabbit there did drown in its hutch according to an article i read in the times yesterday, although the owners didnt appear too distressed by it :(

Aww that's awful - you'd think RSPCA :roll: would have done something about this problem days ago - If I had a car I could drive and check this estate, but I'd be trespassing, so we need the RSPCA to do this job urgently - but of course, it's 'just' rabbits and guinea pigs :cry:

i was watching the tv the the other day and some families had been evacuated and somebody was stood on the pavement with their large bird cage - i thought "fair shout", somebody who had remembered their pet in what was probably a quick retreat to leave their home

Back