• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eye...

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
I visited a friend Sunday and noticed her bunnies eye was literally glued together :( She hadnt even noticed as the rabbits are the kids :roll: I cleaned it up with boiled cooled water and kind of had to prise it open :( It was very crusty. Also had to do her claws :roll:

I popped round again today especially to see the bunnies and her eye still seems funny. Its not runny as such, but i could see round the eye all the fur looked wet, when i touched it, it was dry :? Its not swollen and theres no green/yellow dishcharge, its just clear.

Something is obviously wrong with the poor bunny, she seemed to be eating ok and seems quite active. Im worried shes got something wrong with her teeth/tear ducts but said bunny is nearly 6 and has never been to the vets :roll:

id really appreciate any advice so i can try and help bunny :(I did suggest the vets but she rolled her eyes and said shes never been in the 6 years theyve had her and they wont start now :cry:

Goodness!
I think she needs to take the bun to the vets, at the moment fucithalmic eye drops might clear up whatever it is, but if it gets left it could develop into something worse.
It really should be getting cleaned twice a day too.
My boy had alot of trouble with one of his eyes.
Try to get her to go to the vets, eye drops and a vet check are quite cheap.
K xx

Im so worried about the poor bunny :( I have various potions in the cupboard but eye drops isnt one of them :( I dont want to push her too far as dont want them falling out with us and me not been able to keep an eye on the bunnies at all :?

Suppose i could offer to pay for the vets visit... :?

Sounds like how sooty eyes were a few weeks ago, i took him too vets and its was his teeth blocking his eye duct..i was given drops for them and told to make sure he was eating plenty hay and grass as they need it too keep they teeth short..
it cost me i think 29 quid that was for them too look at him and for his drops

Perhaps you could try and remind them in the nicest possible way - which is practically impossible I know - that they have a legal obligation now to get veterinary treatment for a sick animal since 2007. Such a tricky situation :(
I don't think human eye drops are appropriate for rabbits anyway, I could be wrong, but I agree this rabbit definitely needs to see a vet ASAP, it may even need pain relief if the cause is dental. Poor bunny :(

I hope you manage to get bun to the vets.......as i said, at this stage it could probably clear up quickly with treatment.

She has just texted me saying buns eye is now weeping a yellow sticky dishcharge :( Ive texted her back giving her our vets number and telling her to give them a quick call.... lets hope she listens :? She must be worried if she texted... Dan doesnt want me taking bunny to the vets for her as he says its her responsibility but im so worried xXx

Back