• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run on gravel?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi again,

Thanks for your help and patience with all my questions - can you tell I'm planning a new project??

Quick and possibly stupid question - apart from the digging out issue, would gravel on the floor of a run cause any problems with sore feet etc?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I would have thought it won't be very comfortable, will be difficult to clean and could potentionally cause issues with feet.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking. My new garden is all gravel, I'm planning to slab under the runs and grass an area for supervised play, just trying to work out how urgent it will be to get slabs down and figure out the best order to do things!

For any rabbits with sore hocks or a propensity to sore hocks like Giants and Rexes gravel would be a definite no.

I wouldn't use gravel. When I had outdoor rabbits i had a large run (10ft x 17ft) and couldn't afford to slab it, it was soil on top of hardcore. I thought they wouldn't be able to dig out through the gravel and hardcore but they did :shock: luckily we managed to catch the 4 of them and we meshed on top of the soil and and used play bark to make it soft for their feet. Luckily they didn't use it as a toilet! Playbark is ok to use but ornamental bark has chemicals added so isn't safe.

Soil is a good idea. I would definitely slab around the edges to make sure they couldn't dig out, was just wondering whether I'd need to slab the middle straight away!
I think I'll work the slabs into the budget from the beginning 😊

I think you are definitely right to put all the slabs down from the start.

:thumb: because if there is any way out, they will find it! Also, stabbing it all will stop anything else tunnelling in :thumb:

Back