• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are wire run skirts dig proof?

Hi. I'm weighing up what to do with a new run. The run would be permanently attached to the hutch so it needs to be dig proof. I dont want wire under the whole run. Do wire skirts around the edges (inside and outside presumably) actually work? I'd put a dig box inside the run to satisfy any digging urges (or is this wishful thinking?)

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Mine just find a non-meshed area to dig. Not all rabbits are diggers, but some can't half make a tunnel in no time.
You also need to be aware of predators that might dig their way in.
You could put some more substantial builder type mesh (thicker wire, bigger mesh size) under some turf in the run itself, so they can dig a little but not get out - and it would not be visible. If I was starting from scratch, it's what I would do.

Mine just find a non-meshed area to dig. Not all rabbits are diggers, but some can't half make a tunnel in no time.
You also need to be aware of predators that might dig their way in.
You could put some more substantial builder type mesh (thicker wire, bigger mesh size) under some turf in the run itself, so they can dig a little but not get out - and it would not be visible. If I was starting from scratch, it's what I would do.
Thanks shimmer. I didn't really want to dig up the garden, that's the thing. The grass is kind of OK, and we'd make a right mess if we started digging up the turf cos there's tree roots close to surface and flints etc. Nightmare-a-rama.
I see runs to buy with mesh on the floor of the run. Is this OK for their feet? Perhaps it needs to be a wider mesh, so not the same as the "walls"?

I see runs to buy with mesh on the floor of the run. Is this OK for their feet? Perhaps it needs to be a wider mesh, so not the same as the "walls"?
If your grass is flat, it can be OK IMO. But actualy flat is really hard to get. We have it on our run but its not their only area as they have concrete and a playhouse as well, and they're not been restricted to the run while on the lawn yet (supervised open-topped pen time). The mesh is the same as the sides.

If your grass is flat, it can be OK IMO. But actualy flat is really hard to get. We have it on our run but its not their only area as they have concrete and a playhouse as well, and they're not been restricted to the run while on the lawn yet (supervised open-topped pen time). The mesh is the same as the sides.
Ah, yes, good point. It's not a flat lawn at all. Our old dog enjoyed landscaping [emoji23] I can see now how a mesh floor won't work when the grass is bumpy. I didn't consider that before, thanks! [emoji848] Seems like whichever way I do this the grass will need some work.

You could put mesh down on the existing grass, then either re-turf over the top, or add a sand / soil mix to around 1-2cm deep and maybe some grass seed to cover the mesh and even out the surface. No digging needed.

Back