• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RU HELP! Biscuit's turned into a naughty bunny and i dont know what to do!

I tried the hall way originally, but the slippery floor was too much for him and rugs are quite an expensive bunny expenditure (OH to take into consideration) and it was very difficult to block things off, well, difficult to block the stairs off anyway, he just moved everything to get up the stairs anyway!

Think my issue is i'd need to buy so much pen to proof the room that im not sure its viable, but then i guess, that is an idea i could try!

My hearts just a bit sunken this morning since i had to lock him in as im so busy working this morning (yes, i do something else other than post on RU:lol:). His poor little face just looking at me when i go down toc heck on him.

One thing I did find is that Louie quickly got used to his surroundings and subsequently didn't feel the need to try and escape to where he shouldn't go!

I don't have the going upstairs issue though or the trying to jump on the settee/chairs as he doesn't realise he can get there, due to his eyesight.

Does he put his nose under one of the horizontal bars and push up?

if so, Biscuit did the same in his first pen and occasionally now. He's just testing himself, he won't be able to lift it :)

no he bites the bars and pulls it up slightly off the ground, he doesnt get it very high but still got me worryin hes gona lift it up! i was testing liftin it up with one arm and i struggle a bit with it so hes got no chance! :roll:

no he bites the bars and pulls it up slightly off the ground, he doesnt get it very high but still got me worryin hes gona lift it up! i was testing liftin it up with one arm and i struggle a bit with it so hes got no chance! :roll:

Biscuit does that also! He's just getting used to a new environment, you can relax a little. I was just like you when i first got him home!

I wouldn't worry too much about Biscuit having to be more enclosed than you or he would ideally like, especially if it's just for the short-term. He probably still has more room to stretch his paws than many rabbits. I know you want the very best for him, but Rome wasn't built in a day! :wave: Actually, I'm a teeny bit jealous as I live with my parents and can't have a house rabbit. Thankfully they don't mind him digging up the lawn. :lol::lol:

Biscuit does that also! He's just getting used to a new environment, you can relax a little. I was just like you when i first got him home!

i think he does it more for attention, just for the noise! I think ill always be like this, ive had him since january when he was 8 weeks old and now hes 9 months old! and everytime i leave him i always worry! my husband just laughs at me! :p

I've moved the sheet so its not so long out into the pen so it only overhangs the hutch area by ~4 inches, which isn't big enough for him to sit on but is big enough to stop him climbing out over the sides.

He's out again now so has the 4x4 base + the 5x2.5x2 pen measured out.

Going to see how he copes now. Couldn't stand that cute little face looking at me each time i went down any more!

Think the removal of the hutch may be a good idea, as it would mean he doesn't have a base to land upon...

Oh hangon, i can hear moving cage bars again...!

Last edited:
I've moved the sheet so its not so long out into the pen so it only overhangs the hutch area by ~4 inches, which isn't big enough for him to sit on but is big enough to stop him climbing out over the sides.

He's out again now so has the 4x4 base + the 5x2.5x2 pen measured out.

Going to see how he copes now. Couldn't stand that cute little face looking at me each time i went down any more!

Think the removal of the hutch may be a good idea, as it would mean he doesn't have a base to land upon...

Oh hangon, i can hear moving cage bars again...!

aww that cute little face! He wants some attention rattling the bars! hope hes ok! If you want him to come and live with mylo, im more than happy to have him :p:p:p

Have you given him things to 'destroy' to keep him busy? Cardboard boxes, old phone directories etc? It may be messy, but it'll keep him busy and distracted.....hopefully!

Have you given him things to 'destroy' to keep him busy? Cardboard boxes, old phone directories etc? It may be messy, but it'll keep him busy and distracted.....hopefully!

Yep, he has an old telephone directory, has a cardboard box, has toilet rolls, has toys, has food etc. :lol:

It is a little upsetting, but he does make me chuckle that he's trying it on.

I've just spent 20 minutes recreating the whole area, moving the pen so its against the other wall and diagonal against the other wall, so gives a bit more room in the room itself, but the pen now comes up to the door frame.

Got the sheet over the whole thing, but he can't (unless he really jumps over 1.5 ft horizontally!) get to the sofa now.

Have to wait and see now otherwise its netting next.

The hutch is out too, it's across the other side of the room - OH won't like that :roll: Have to move it later, maybe outside if he's okay.

Does he get time out in the garden as well?

Afraid not, our garden isn't very bunny friendly. Also, with the knowledge he's currently 'jumping' i dont have a pen i can put in the back garden to let him have a run around.

Just to top it all off, he just jumped up and hit his head on the side of the pen :cry:

He's now flopped as i think he's warn himself out, going to keep an eye on him now though as he seemed a little dazed.

Why do i love him so much and want to do whats best but he wants to demolish everything !!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Afraid not, our garden isn't very bunny friendly. Also, with the knowledge he's currently 'jumping' i dont have a pen i can put in the back garden to let him have a run around.

Just to top it all off, he just jumped up and hit his head on the side of the pen :cry:

He's now flopped as i think he's warn himself out, going to keep an eye on him now though as he seemed a little dazed.

Why do i love him so much and want to do whats best but he wants to demolish everything !!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

I think your making this hard on yourself Graham, containing him if you have to work or for his safety is not cruel, it's only the same as putting a child for example in a playpen or cot - he will sleep. He lives with you not the other way around so you have to find a balance whereby your needs are being met aswell. Personally I would put the hutch outside and have a nice soft blanket in one corner to sleep on and a litter tray in the other corner against the wall and cover that area with a sheet - to prevent drafts aswell and make it cosy - tent like. The rest of the area I would cover with netting and put maybe a tunnel in the middle and all his toys so he can effectively run around them and play still, I would put his hay in the litter tray or a nice basket next to it and just let him out at night to free range for an hour supervised while you play with him, that way if he attempts to damage anything you can intervene. I would also suggest that the remaining playpen could be put round the hutch in the garden and on nice days you could put him in there while your there and net all over the top of the hutch and playpen and he can hop in and out of the that in the fresh air.:wave:

I think your making this hard on yourself Graham, containing him if you have to work or for his safety is not cruel, it's only the same as putting a child for example in a playpen or cot - he will sleep. He lives with you not the other way around so you have to find a balance whereby your needs are being met aswell. Personally I would put the hutch outside and have a nice soft blanket in one corner to sleep on and a litter tray in the other corner against the wall and cover that area with a sheet - to prevent drafts aswell and make it cosy - tent like. The rest of the area I would cover with netting and put maybe a tunnel in the middle and all his toys so he can effectively run around them and play still, I would put his hay in the litter tray or a nice basket next to it and just let him out at night to free range for an hour supervised while you play with him, that way if he attempts to damage anything you can intervene. I would also suggest that the remaining playpen could be put round the hutch in the garden and on nice days you could put him in there while your there and net all over the top of the hutch and playpen and he can hop in and out of the that in the fresh air.:wave:

Sounds like a good plan to me :thumb:

I'm so my own worst enemy :(

I want so much for him but im being stupid now.

He's now flopped int the corner and i just heard him play with his bell ball.

Going to put him in the 4x4 with the sheet over the top now, i can't handle any more today.

I just know that a 4x4 for 2x buns isn't going to be enough from 11pm - 5pm the following day. So i can't get him a playmate. He gets ~5 hours of 'free-ranging' every night, but do you think thats enough?

Sorry if im rambling on, i guess i thought this would all be easier than it is :(

I'm so my own worst enemy :(

I want so much for him but im being stupid now.

He's now flopped int the corner and i just heard him play with his bell ball.

Going to put him in the 4x4 with the sheet over the top now, i can't handle any more today.

I just know that a 4x4 for 2x buns isn't going to be enough from 11pm - 5pm the following day. So i can't get him a playmate. He gets ~5 hours of 'free-ranging' every night, but do you think thats enough?

Sorry if im rambling on, i guess i thought this would all be easier than it is :(

I would make the pen 6x4 for 2 and with the free range it's fine, containing them in the day is not harmful if there are two they will snuggle anyway, stop beating yourself up Graham - he is loved and interacted with and not in danger - he is very fortunate compared to say breeders buns who are in 0.56metres sq - forever - in some cases just waiting for the 'owner' to come and neck them - you adore him, he knows that and is young and delighted with life but, you have be practical and sensible about it or it will become a bind in time. Free range is the best option and with interaction/mental stimulation and good diet, lots of love and toys etc he is fine in the 4x4 for say 4 hours-go and do your work guilt free, that's life - I am sure most of us would want to spend all day playing with our buns but, life isn't like that, you have to work and don't want too, he has to be contained - he might not like it but, he is safe with food and drink, warm with toys to play with - don't keep looking at him and thinking awww - look at him and say right fella - get on with it, I'm off to earn some pennies to pay for all the bits you need !;)

Think Homebase doesn't close until 7ish? Perhaps you can go on your way home?

How old is Biscuit? I have free range house bunnies, but they were confined when younger for their safety (netting is good!), but then we bunny proofed the house (all wires, skirting board, ciorners of walls, lamps, table legs etc etc) so now they free range in 100% safety when we are out.

I have noticed the more you try to stop a bunny getting somewhere or doing something the more they want to do it. Make it accessable and boring and they loose interest...:lol:

edit - just seen he's 5 months. Troublesome teenager :roll: Just ride it out. He'll become less of a handful as he matures - presume he's neutered?

Back