• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA working with pets at home

I was at the meeting yesterday with my branch and I have very mixed views, the vip has completely stopped and won't be going on again they are trying a early neuter at 10 wks with the vets here, the p@h are no longer allowed to have animals for sales on their boards, as I also understood the other rescues will not be allowed to advertise either, P@H will mainly raise funds for the rspca so I think alot of us that are linked will lose out that is the way I understood this part , this is only going on for a trial of 12 months and then will be looked at again. The only positive is that they are looking at all P@H rabbits to be neutered before rehome, I think what rspca are hoping is they will work with P@H and all the other pet shops will shut....which isn't going to happen. They have re wrote all the rabbit leaflets in P@h and are going to have some of their hutches in the shops but there will also be the others in as well and there will be lots more loged stuff in the shop

How can an organisation which is meant to protect animals and campaign for animal welfare support a pet shop? Pet shop animals are supplied by animal farmers, they do not ensure the animals are going into homes which are suitable and are not too concerned about where the animals came from.

I wouldn't speak on this for all pet shops. It's a case by case deal.

While I find this is true for large chain pet shops, there are MANY family-run or small-local pet shops that do care for their animals, and either get them from responsible people or breed their own animals. Such as the one all my hamsters have come from, and most likely all my future rodents, reptiles, fish, etc. will come from if I do not go to a breeder or in some way rescue an animal.

ETA: Which for many of the small pets or exotic pets, we do not have breeders in the area. The only hamster breeder we have around here is the real problem, and has sickly, uncared for hamsters. :(

Last edited:
Why don't we wait and see how this pans out instead of condemning it before we even know whats happening/what affect this will have on welfare?

Probably won't change anything. Much like the RSPCA freedom foods, I imagine it really means nothing.
And doesn't that guy in the video have scary eyes and eyebrows!

i was just about to say that, remind sme of theat cadbury advert but both go up at the same time :lol:

i agree with loppy ears

Why don't we wait and see how this pans out instead of condemning it before we even know whats happening/what affect this will have on welfare?

This :thumb:

I also have known about it for a long time, and rest assured there are questions being asked and answered, meetings taking place...It is not a spur of the moment decision. But hey, Carry on slating - It's helping immensley to change animal welfare! :D

This :thumb:

I also have known about it for a long time, and rest assured there are questions being asked and answered, meetings taking place...It is not a spur of the moment decision. But hey, Carry on slating - It's helping immensley to change animal welfare! :D

Why thank you I will continue to slate, especially with the facts I have ;) No it isn't a spur of the moment thing, it has been in place for some time already :lol:

I was also told that I had jumped the gun when slating the VIP trial, strange how all my comments came true :cry:

Before this turns into an RSPCA slanging match. :roll: I just want to point out that many people on the forum work for certain branches and they are wonderful! My local rspca certainly is amazing. :love:

Can i also point out that not everyone who works for pets at home are thick, heartless people who don't care about the animals. There are people who care alot about the animals while they are in the shop as well as people who hate the fact that they come from poor conditions. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. The staff unfortunately have no say in the matter of vip buns or the breeders they use.

it doesnt matter what RSPCA does to help P@H some people wont give it a chance and will petition about it and ruin a possibly good thing..:roll:

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing but don't understand how they can team up with a company that doesn't sell things that are a minimum standard / size for housing etc. Especially if they don't meet the RSPCAs own guidelines. If that changes then great.

The RSPCA were not partnered with Pets at Home whilst the SVIP trial was happening, but they are NOT sourcing or trying to source anything like it from the UK now.
The partnership is only recent, but if PAH were really that bad and didnt care about animal welfare do you really think they would partner with them? From personal experience I know the adoption centre is a valued part of PAH and all the animals are cared for to the greatest standard, especially rabbits. To think otherwise is rediculous.

How can an organisation which is meant to protect animals and campaign for animal welfare support a pet shop? Pet shop animals are supplied by animal farmers, they do not ensure the animals are going into homes which are suitable and are not too concerned about where the animals came from.

Totally agree .RSPCA is out of touch and just run as a business.Lots of people make a hell of a lot of money
out of this charity.
Sorry will never donate to RSPCA they are so out of touch.

Totally agree .RSPCA is out of touch and just run as a business.Lots of people make a hell of a lot of money
out of this charity.
Sorry will never donate to RSPCA they are so out of touch.

Can you please provides some evidence of people making lots of money out this charity? The thousands of us who give up our free time in order to help the animals would love to see it.

The RSPCA were not partnered with Pets at Home whilst the SVIP trial was happening, but they are NOT sourcing or trying to source anything like it from the UK now.
The partnership is only recent, but if PAH were really that bad and didnt care about animal welfare do you really think they would partner with them? From personal experience I know the adoption centre is a valued part of PAH and all the animals are cared for to the greatest standard, especially rabbits. To think otherwise is rediculous.

the great majority of their "adoption" animals are stock that has grown a bit too big to sell as cute babies.woth tags such as " all my brothers were bought but no one wanted me "..then they buy in more youngsters and say they are rescuing..nonesense :censored:

In my opinion this is claptrap.

cared for to the greatest standards? I respectfully suggest that you are kidding!

In our local area we have quite a number of branches where I know this not to be true. I know about animals 'going out the back' because they aren't fit for sale in one branch atleast.

Why did I end up taking in two rabbits from another branch that had them 'returned' and the vets in store asked me to take them with nothing wrong except perhaps a slight abscess. Yeah an abscess that was not diagnosed and ended up being his whole head full of myolitis. One of them ended up being unrehomeable and is now a long term resident in my rescue.

And a friend of mine has a rabbit 'from out the back' that was attacked by the other rabbits in its pen and that had its back ripped open.

I'm sorry, but there may be the odd store that does good work, but as a whole the chain cannot be commended and are a very large reason why I end up taking (or rather being asked to take) rabbits in. A whole raft of them put down (on my incoming rabbit questionnaire) that they came from PatH.

I'm no fan and it would take for them to stop selling (or having adoption centres) for me to ever become one.

Last edited:
It's a bit unspecific about what they are doing, but you can't change things without trying new ways of sorting the problem. P@H aren't going to close tomorrow and if they did it wouldn't matter they are a big recognisable brand but the same issues are apparent in many other shops. Maybe it will be a positive thing - they won't know til they give it ago and I think it's unlikely to make things worse.

Back