• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex nails and pulling fur out

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Audrey (freeads rex) has very long nails...they have been cut recently by a vet, but wondered why he would have left them long?

Is it because her nails are black? Or perhaps they are not really that long, it is just I am used to seeing bunns whose fluffy fur covers much of their nail bed, making them appear shorter??
(I know rexes nails are tougher than some bunns- and am covered in scratches from my fosters to prove it!)

And now onto the fur....her owner said she had been pulling the hair out behind her head to make a nest and she has a big bald patch now- could she really have been pulling it out?? I can't see how she could have reached and isn't it usually from their dewlap? She doesn't seem to have mites, but we're going to the vets tuesday anyway so just curious really.

Also...she is a browny orange colour like bunnyburrows rexes....what sort is she please??

All my rexes nails look quite long even once they are cut because they have very long quicks so you cant cut too much off
I do cut them every 3 weeks though
No sure about the fur thing but she sounds like a castor rex :)

If she is Browney Orange I'd guess she is a Castor Rex or a Cinnamon Rex.

If her nails are black maybe the Vet was erring on the side of caution and leaving them a bit long rather than risking cutting the quick.

The bald patch on her head sounds like something done by another Bunny. Over grooming. Cant see how she could pull fur out of her head :shock:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
The bald patch on her head sounds like something done by another Bunny. Over grooming. Cant see how she could pull fur out of her head :shock:

Janex

I know thats what I thought- they said she was not kept with another bunny but I am suspicious of that. Unfortunately I did not get to see where she was living as the lady had Audrey in her arms when she opened the door to me :eek:

The patch is just behind her head on her neck really, so I guess she could have reached behind :?

when willow had mites about a year ago he pulled out fur from right at the top of his neck and about 3 inches down his back and he was living alone so it def wasnt another rabbit,

and he did it really suddenly- he was fine when i went to work and i came home to a rabbit with a half bald back :?

mandy said:
Also...she is a browny orange colour like bunnyburrows rexes....what sort is she please??
My girls are castor rexes so it sounds like what she is too! :D Rexes do have quite long thin type claws plus they don't have long fur so they can seem longer than they actually are. When I have to clip my girls claws I just take off the end because they are dark and I don't want to cut the quick! :shock:

Whn does pluch to build nests they only pluck their tummies and chests, they can't reach behind their necks.

Rexes claws look longer also because the fur is a lot shorter on their paws than on some buns.

Back