• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues & Sanctuaries- Do you have 6ftx2ftx2ft hutches for all your buns?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Hi,

I'd like to know if any owners of rescues or sanctuaries have all rabbits housed in 6ftx2ftx2ft or above , as per the rspca min guidelines for hutches , or if sacrifices are made on size for the sake of taking in additional animals if required? Also does this apply to runs?

Thanks,
Ambience xx

Our minimum hutch size is 6 by 2 by 2 or 4 by 3 by 2 but many are in aviaries with sheds or playhouses with attached runs. Those in hutches get time out daily in large runs.

Indoors they either have pens or large dog crates, some have 5ft indoor cages if dog crates aren't suitable for them. Occassionally they do have to be housed in smaller cages for health reasons. But all indoor rabbits get time out daily either free range in the house or in an outside run :)

The trio are in an indoor run about 5 by 9 ft, 2 of the pairs are in indoor runs 5 by 4 ft, one pair are in a hutch 6 by 2. Katie, a single, is in a 5 by 2 hutch. Sorrell and Mallow- 2 singles for the moment are in a 4 by 2 two tiered hutch each.
We plan to buy more 6 by 2 hutches, hopefully for the winter if we can raise the money.

The guineas are in 4 by 2 hutches, these are stacked like breeders hutches so take up less space.

The rabbits go out most days from about 6 am to 8pm. The runs are about 6 by 7ft with an attached house that is about 6 by 5 ft. The sngle are in 6 by 6 runs. Again- if Mike ever gets his finger out- they will hopefully go into new aviary type runs about 6 by 9 ft.
The guineas go into smaller runs on the good days, and if it is wet they go onto the rabbit indoor runs during the day while the rabbits are out- not ideal I know but until we get some new hutches its our only option.

Last edited:
Why do you ask?
I think sanctuaries will probably generally have bigger housing than many rescues- because the animals are there for their lifetime, whereas rehoming rescues will have the animals short term and will usually have a lot more to cater for at one time.

All of our 120 rabbits have a minimum 6x2x2 with either a permanent run under their hutch or a 6x2x2 in a grassy enclosure of 8x8minimum.

The only few smaller hutches we have are the ones used inside used for bonding or for poorly buns.

Its taken us a few years to get to this point!

All of our 120 rabbits have a minimum 6x2x2 with either a permanent run under their hutch or a 6x2x2 in a grassy enclosure of 8x8minimum.

The only few smaller hutches we have are the ones used inside used for bonding or for poorly buns.

WoW!:D
I know of a rescue that has bun in hutches that appear to be about 2x3 ish. There is nothing that can be done about it because the animals are, technically, only in care short term.

Last edited:
I know of a rescue that has bun in hutches that appear to be about 2x3 ish. There is nothing that can be done about it because the animals are, technically, only in care short term.

I have to commend Louise for sticking to her guns on minimum standards and insisting that all buns deserve the most space we can give them.
I probably spent the whole of last summer building enclosures,and a fair few the year before that. I used to dream about concrete, posts and wire:lol:

We have really good feedback from visitors,and a stroll around Hopper gives people a good feel for how well bunnies thrive with lots of space to play,run and dig.

The last two hutches I built a few months ago are 8x2x2, which shows that Lou's space requirements are getting bigger:lol:

Our minimum hutch size is 6 by 2 by 2 or 4 by 3 by 2 but many are in aviaries with sheds or playhouses with attached runs. Those in hutches get time out daily in large runs.

Indoors they either have pens or large dog crates, some have 5ft indoor cages if dog crates aren't suitable for them. Occasionally they do have to be housed in smaller cages for health reasons. But all indoor rabbits get time out daily either free range in the house or in an outside run :)

Thankyou- i really want to take in some rescue buns, but i'm stuck on where to start setup wise. I did have it all planned out, but then i realised how under prepared i am. I need to figure out space wise how many buns i can accommodate here. I would have thought sacrifices would be made if saving a bun from appauling conditions etc, so this is why i ask. At what point do you say you are full as a rescue, what is the minimum setup you would accept for your rescues.

Thanks
Ambience xx

The trio are in an indoor run about 5 by 9 ft, 2 of the pairs are in indoor runs 5 by 4 ft, one pair are in a hutch 6 by 2. Katie, a single, is in a 5 by 2 hutch. Sorrell and Mallow- 2 singles for the moment are in a 4 by 2 two tiered hutch each.
We plan to buy more 6 by 2 hutches, hopefully for the winter if we can raise the money.

The guineas are in 4 by 2 hutches, these are stacked like breeders hutches so take up less space.

The rabbits go out most days from about 6 am to 8pm. The runs are about 6 by 7ft with an attached house that is about 6 by 5 ft. The sngle are in 6 by 6 runs. Again- if Mike ever gets his finger out- they will hopefully go into new aviary type runs about 6 by 9 ft.
The guineas go into smaller runs on the good days, and if it is wet they go onto the rabbit indoor runs during the day while the rabbits are out- not ideal I know but until we get some new hutches its our only option.

Thankyou so much for sharing in such detail. I really want to get started rescuing, but i need to make sure i have the right setup or raise the capital i need to increase space etc. I have so much to get to work on. I am going to have to brush up on my DIY as i will be doing the majority of the work intially-if only setting stuff up from flatpack purchases of ebay. I'm trying to measure the garden and figure out where i will put my rescue buns, the most practicle use of space etc.

My buns are out in the summer runs 24/7 but i suppose i could alternate for the sake of taking in rescues. I could fit another 5 or six runs in the garden i expect. I'm still thinking i probably need more space.

Ambience xx

Sounds amazing. Looks like i'm going to have to get bigger premises to be able to take in the amount of rabbits i'd like to rescue.

Ambience xx

This is what i was thinking- surely there must be rescues with smaller hutches due to the quantity of animals that need rescuing at the moment. It sounds like there is a need for more rescues, that is for sure. I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing by any animals i take in, but then still be able to be sensible if it comes to an urgent case to take in a neglected rescue etc.

Ambience xx

I have to commend Louise for sticking to her guns on minimum standards and insisting that all buns deserve the most space we can give them.
I probably spent the whole of last summer building enclosures,and a fair few the year before that. I used to dream about concrete, posts and wire:lol:

We have really good feedback from visitors,and a stroll around Hopper gives people a good feel for how well bunnies thrive with lots of space to play,run and dig.

The last two hutches I built a few months ago are 8x2x2, which shows that Lou's space requirements are getting bigger:lol:

LOL - i dream of having enclosures on concrete too- how nice it would be to clean out and maintain. I constantly worry about my runs as they are soil and grass and i'm thinking that there is a hygeine risk- which there isn't with concrete.

I think it's great- i'll have to come visit some of theses rescues some time for some ideas. I really want to get rescuing animals.

Ambience xx

This is what i was thinking- surely there must be rescues with smaller hutches due to the quantity of animals that need rescuing at the moment. It sounds like there is a need for more rescues, that is for sure. I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing by any animals i take in, but then still be able to be sensible if it comes to an urgent case to take in a neglected rescue etc.

Ambience xx

I think the SSPCA have concerns about the situation but because there is no legislation in place they can do nothing. I guess if you could provide large hutches with shared access to runs it would be a good compromise and at least people then see what is possible. You would think that people would listen to advice but visual things seem to have a greater affect. We are constantly trying to upgrade because we want people to come here and think about what is possible for their pets.

Last edited:
I think the SSPCA have concerns about the situation but because there is no legislation in place they can do nothing. I guess if you could provide large hutches with shared access to runs it would be a good compromise and at least people then see what is possible. You would think that people would listen to advice but visual things seem to have a greater affect. We are constantly trying to upgrade because we want people to come here and think about what is possible for their pets.

That sounds reasonable. I think that the RSPCA kept animals in hutches of around 3ft when i worked there, which was some time ago. They didn't get hardly any time out in runs- There were around 20 rabbits and one run for them all. It is nice when rescue animals can have a good life in the rescue as some do end up very long stay. I know what you mean about visually-it does tend to have more of an impact.

Ambience xx

I know the SSPCA I went to keep thier rabbits in less than 4ft cages, but they do get out in runs.

Yes i think around 3ft some years ago too. This is why i wondered if rescues now will sacrifice to take in an abandoned animal or cruelty case. I know if it came to leaving an animal to suffer or not being able to take it in- i'd be tempted to have smaller rescue accomadtion for the sake of helping more animals in a temporary situation.

As difficult as it is to have an animal in a smaller hutch- i think it's also cruel to leave an animal in dire straights if it can be helped by being loved, kept clean, exercised , fed well etc. For some animals even a smaller hutch will be paradise compared to what conditions they have been living in or suffering in.

Ambience xx

In answer to your original question, yes all of our rabbits that are up for adoption have the equivalent to 6x2x2 or above.

Back