• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit boarder - housing help

Kiania

Young Bun
Hi,

I am a small pet boarder (sitter, etc) and I predominantly board rodents (hamsters, degu, rats, etc), and have just been asked if I could board a dwarf lop in just over a month's time (plenty of planning time, otherwise I wouldn't be here, asking this!), as well as a pair of guinea pigs. Usually, due to boarding rodents, I ask the client to bring the pet's cage with them, but I know how big bunny hutches can get, so this isn't a practical solution. Since rabbits are the larger of the two species, I'm focusing on space enough for them, and making sure it is convertible for both species as required. After some hunting, I have found a wendy house that is large enough to be split into two separate 'pens' (each just over 14 square feet, so bigger than the 12 square feet min requirement, plus the height to add in a shelf), and plan to include the ability to take out the separation if I ever have a group of more than 2 buns (or 3 guineas) to give them the whole lot. Combined with this, two outside runs of 8x4x2 with 1/2"x1" mesh (not sure if this is good or bad, but it is square mesh, not chicken wire), one for each side (chances are, using catflap-style methods!) to allow constant daylight access to outside (shut in at night - I don't trust the local foxes!).

Does this seem appropriate for bunny boarding? I'm somewhat obsessive over animal welfare when it comes to my own pets and their cage sizes, so I want to avoid the classic nipping down to Pets at Home and picking up their 'best' hutch (which looks hideously tiny according to the sizes on the web), and provide something that is, if not home, is suitable for the purpose, functional, easy to keep clean, and give a bit of luxury - obviously not bunny heaven, but freedom of movement inside and out during daylight is something that seems vital (I do love the 'Runaround' system a lot!)

I plan to put it on paving slabs, at least for now (we're moving in 6 months-ish, so digging up turf is unlikely to go down well right now), and I like the idea of using rubber horse matting on top of the slabs outside (if anyone has a link to the specific type they use, I would be extremely grateful - google has thousands of varieties!).

Inside, I'm a big fan of megazorb (wood-pulp, like small carefresh) and aubiose (hemp-based) for my smaller pets, as well as finacard/ecobed (cardboard based), so have all of these in stock. I'd prefer to avoid using shavings. Would any of the above be suitable for rabbits? Long/short haired as required? I have heard megazorb with hay on top is good for guinea pigs, so that is my plan for them.

Lastly, hay is a needful thing, of course, but what about straw? Is this a requirement, a benefit, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

In a vaguely unrelated not (although related to buns!), is there any books people would recommend? I read Fur & Feather, and through them acquired a copy of the Encyclopaedia of Rabbits & Rodents by Verhoef-Verhallen, as well as Green Foods for Rabbits & Cavies by Bell, and have the Rabbitlopaedia (the Hamsterlopaedia is a bit of a hamster-lover's bible, I presume the Rabbit version is similar?) and For the Love of Parsley by Wright in my basket on Amazon, but if there is any essential bunny reading, I do love my research (and outside of animals, book collecting is my passion - combining the two gives me the most delicious warm glow :D ).

Thank you very much in advance for any information and advice!

Hi there,

You have obviously done loads of research on this, which is fab!

I think your plans of 14 square feet of indoor space plus an 8 x 4 run for each occupant sounds fabulous. The only thing I would say is that it would be lovely to allow the bunnies access to the run 24/7. If the run isn't safe enough for night time, it is also a bit risky for day time too as foxes can appear at any time. If you can secure the run to the playhouse and ground, and it has a secure roof that would be safer. Make sure there is a bolt hole or hidey house in the run so that if foxes do appear there is somewhere for the buns to quickly escape to.

Great idea to put slabs under the playhouse and run, and I think horse matting would be a wonderful idea, as it means you can easily disinfect between occupants. A lot of boarding places seem to have runs on grass, which is very risky as obviously grass cannot be washed.

Megazorb and hay is great in litter trays, and fine for buns.

I don't tend to use straw. It isn't so good for buns to eat, as much less nutritious than hay. I think most people tend to use hay for eating and also for bedding and litter trays.

With regards to books, I have to say I have learned more here on this forum than in any book. It is really a mine of information and experienced people here. I do have a book called Rabbit health in the 21st century by Kathy Smith, which is very easy to read and a good guide for different rabbit health issues.

Loads of luck with your boarding!

Always lovely to be praised - even if it is for doing what I'm paid to do :) I wouldn't want to board my rabbit (if I had one) in a 4ft pokey hutch if I had it in a sensible home (which I would!), so I wouldn't want to do that to other people's pets. Especially since I worked out rough costs, and for the price of a sensible set-up (divided into two 'sides', as I mentioned above), I need to board 51 rabbits or guinea pigs (days of them being with me, not 45 individual buns!) - I've had (just today) two tentative emails for over the summer holidays, for 21 days between them, so I am really happy to do things properly.

But, as I said, I am not the bunny expert, so it is still nice to hear the verbal version of a pat on the head :)

The house/run combination I'm planning on using is the Kitty Playhouse from B&Q (this one: http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/playhouses/playhouses/Kitty-Playhouse-11987685) which I read about on here, combined with two of the 8' x 4' runs from UK Rabbit Hutches (near the bottom of the page here: http://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/rabbitruns.html ). Having not seen either in person, I am not sure about fox-proof-ness, but I heard about the Kitty from a thread on this forum, so I am assuming for that, I would mesh the windows of the playhouse to allow ventilation during warm days (although the house will be in the shade of a tree), but I am not sure about the runs - any experience of that company, either yea/nay would be lovely.

I wasn't sure whether the cold air might be an incentive to keep buns inside at night - happy to bow to greater knowledge, and allow 24/7 outdoor access. I am wondering whether people put heaters inside sheds/wendy houses, and if so, if there is a particular type? I use an oil heater for my exotics room indoors, but with a wooden building, I worry about fire risk.

Currently torn between attaching the runs to the sides of the playhouse and using cat-flaps, or putting them close to the sides, and using the Runaround burrow pipes. The benefit of the latter means slightly easier separation for transport in 6 months down the line when I come to move, but that isn't something so strict that if attaching is recommended, I would refuse (because that would be plain silly of me!).

Not quite sure on which horse matting I should be using either - seems a bit of a minefield with regards to varieties. This is the one I found that might be the one people are using: http://www.horsematshop.co.uk/anti-fatigue-mats/185-500mm-sq-dovetailed-checker-pattern-tile.html .

My partner (and resident engineer and CFO) mentioned using perspex (drilled for drainage) in exchange for the paving slabs (with the mats on top). Probably easier to scrub/pressure-wash, but I'm not sure if there are any negatives. This is prior to us looking into costs of perspex v. paving slabs, of course! He may abruptly change his mind and start waxing lyrical about how wonderful paving slabs are if they turn out to be 50% cheaper :)

Would you suggest the horse matting for inside as well as outside? I had thought to use megazorb topped with hay inside, perhaps on top of lino (or other similar washable base).

Good to know about the straw!

Most of my knowledge is from here, therabbithouse.com and rabbitwelfare.co.uk. By the time books are published, the information is dated, so forums tend to win-out there, it is the same for hamsters and pygmy hedgehogs (my usual haunts due to my pets), and rats as well (my deepest desire!), so I would not doubt for an instant that the same would not be true for buns and cavies, and every other species!

Your reply has been very useful and very much appreciated, thank you :)

I'm on my phone so I can't do a long reply but you sound like a FANTASTIC animal boarder!

Rofl! Very kind of you to say :) A shame you're up in Manchester - if you ever move south, do ping me a PM. Once I'm set up for bunny holidays, I'll be looking for as many bunny-cuddles as I can get!

Can my buns come and have a holiday with you? :lol: your boarding sounds fantastic you seem very passionate :)

I'm more than happy to take any buns :) Half measures are for others. Did just have a guy phone up to see about 2 guinea pigs, since I'm going to be using the bunny lodge as a cavy lodge as well (unless I start getting regularly over-booked, in which case it calls for expansion - but I'm a realist!), which means I can take 3 to 4 guineas per side (depending on how smaller the house is on internal dimensions). Which means that the piggies are about the same cost as a bun (currently, 2 pigs = 1 bun, after that, all piggies and buns are the same cost for extras). I also have indoor boarding for piggies, and hopefully for house bunnies eventually (when I get a chance to look into suitable caging, ie when a house rabbit enquires!). Anywho, the guy in question normally boards his two piggies in someone's garage set-up where they have hutches four-high, and get put outside for about an hour a day on scrubby ground for £45 for two weeks - a set-up he is not terribly keen on, for obvious reasons. I cannot compete with that - and it makes me...sad - but having done a search for guinea pig hotels on google, I'm in line with their pricing for what I'm actually offering - a more luxury holiday, rather than the bare minimum. Still makes me sad to think of piggies and buns stacked sky-scraper style! But that might well be my own views coming through - my pets get the best of everything (huge cages compared to the RSPCA 'minimum' which people seem to think is adequate - I loathe the culture that says minimum=absolutely fine, grr!).

Anyway, rant over :) I just hope there are some local buns and piggies that need a holiday - I think it will work out about 70 'days' (rather than my previous calculation), to include the paving slabs, ground-flattening, and so on, but hopefully once it is done, and I can get some photos up, it'll be worth it!

So some further questions - heating during winter. I know a lot of people take their animals in when it gets colder, but being able to heat the inside will give me a bit more flexibility and stop worrying if it starts to snow while I'm off doing a dog walk or fish-sit.

I imagine you'd coat the walls with polystyrene, but what do you put after the polystyrene (can't be good for gnawing animals!), plywood, or something else?

And for flattening the ground, I was considering building a wooden base (about the same size as the house plus runs on each side), and filling it with builder's sand (or something similar - my OH is the engineer, I'm just mulling ideas!) which could be flattened to place wendy house and the paving slabs on, while allow drainage. Is there a better way to do this?

Planning for my foray into my nearby country store tomorrow (who I've been assured stocks megazorb), on the floor of my indoor shed (and hutches), is there any preference for aubiose or megazorb (topped with hay, naturally!) with bunnies? Or is there another product I have not yet heard of that is even better? :)

Did go into P@H to buy glass drinking bottles today for other animals, and over-heard one of their staff telling someone who claimed to have no knowledge of bunnies (and who's were arriving on Saturday) that they could get a 4ft hutch (no run), and that wood shavings were the best possible floor covering, with straw for nesting. I had a smug moment of "HA! I know more about bunnies, I know that is completely all wrong!", although it was fairly short lived as they went for the staff members suggestion :(

Back