• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with old hutches? Plymouth, Devon

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hi all

I currently have 2 hutches in my garden that I no longer use due to one bunny becoming a house bunny and the others having their housing upgraded. Both are in a somewhat poor state but not quite for the tip and could serve some other lucky bunnies after some TLC.

I have contacted my local rescues and they don't need them and couldn't recommend anyone who would benefit from them.

Am thinking of eBaying if I can do some basic repairs as still useable and liveable. If not then freecycle. However I fear them going to the wrong home and being filled with a giant or 4 buns so want to avoid this.

Hutch 1 - 6ftx2ftx2ft with attached run (6ftx6ftx3ft) as per below pic but this is when it was new - will try and get some current ones tomorrow if not hoofing it down!
Problems with it now - I didn't care for it as I should have and unfortunately some of the ply at the sides has warped from water damage - not sure how to resolve that, any tips welcome! The trap door at back, it's sliding mechanism and the ramp has completely come off, I removed the wood from under the doors at the front but can put galvanised mesh on it to secure that up. The panels for the run are in good nick apart from the lid as the wood snapped under weight of water near the trap door but could be strengthened with metal pin.
It's in fairly good condition inside, stays dry when protected, weighs a tonne as very good quality wood. I paid £260 for this hutch - should have took more care of it.

newhutch4.jpg

newhutch1.jpg

Hutch 2 - two tiered 5ftx2ftx2ft (ish) from pets at home.
Far Iess superior to the above, weighs nothing, but in fairly good condition apart from need to replace the roof (why they put 3 separate pieces of felted ply board and expect it to stay water tight I don't know!). Has Lino on the floors. Could do with a wood treatment also. Trying to find pic online but I can't so will try and get some tomorrow.

Any thoughts? Pretty strapped for cash at the mo so would like to get something for them (if that means I have to spend a little to fix them up to get a bit more I will) but failing that I just think they need to be used. If anyone in the Devon area could use these happy to have a discussion tho would need to be collected.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just up from you. Very interested in the first one for the guinea girls for summer. Could you get a upto date picture when this blooming rain and wind stops.

Ok here is the link to the album with pics of both hutches.

Hutch 1 isn't made up with the run at the mo as I am not using it. I would say the worst parts are the side panels on the hutch but they are screwed onto the frame and so could be replaced and weather proofed. The rest just needs sanding down and painting.

Hutch 2 (Pets @ home) needs a whole roof replace but thats not difficult.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sullivan6d/library/Hutches%20for%20sale

Any questions let me know.

Shiv

Last edited:
Back