• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue Hamsters

they are very cute :)

But i just dont think i could have a girl. Its horrible because these are young and looking for a home, ideal really.

But id just worry all the time :(

I've got my syrian in a Rody Rabbit tank - it's just under 100 cm long. The other similar one is a Zoozone 2. The tops have to be meshed though, as the bars are a bit widely spaced.

Ooh I love a hamster!

Our Mildred is similar to hamster 3 but has a little white chest :love: she's like a little bear!

If I EVER can afford a cage then Honey is my choice (from Rhian)...I feel so bad that she doesn't have a home.....although is very lucky to have you!

If I EVER can afford a cage then Honey is my choice (from Rhian)...I feel so bad that she doesn't have a home.....although is very lucky to have you!

They are all lovely aren't they but I have to agree with you and say that I have been thinking about Honey the last couple of days too - I know she's safe and well cared for with Rhian but theres nothing like having a forever home is there and of course that frees Rhian up for another needy case.

They are all lovely aren't they but I have to agree with you and say that I have been thinking about Honey the last couple of days too - I know she's safe and well cared for with Rhian but theres nothing like having a forever home is there and of course that frees Rhian up for another needy case.

One of us can have Honey...the other can have one of these girlies!! :D:D:D (Just need a cage!)

I love so close to Rhian, I feel so bad!:(

:lol::lol::lol: Louise!!!!! :no::lol:

This seems to be a popular cage: https://www.petsathome.com/webapp/w...1&productId=15968&summaryOnly=true&bct=basket

Which is why I need to save up! :roll::roll:

eta: It's ridiculous how expensive the good cages are. It's probably the reason loads of hammies get ting cages....would many people buy a £65 cage for their son/daughter to have a hammy...when it could just be a phase...?!

If they made the large cages a better price I bet most people would get a bigger cage!

Last edited:
Which is why I need to save up! :roll::roll:

eta: It's ridiculous how expensive the good cages are. It's probably the reason loads of hammies get ting cages....would many people buy a £65 cage for their son/daughter to have a hammy...when it could just be a phase...?!

If they made the large cages a better price I bet most people would get a bigger cage!

Theres a Hamster Heaven cage on ebay near me at the moment, biddings at about £35 I think.

I got a ferplast duna for mine, its about 75cm x 40cm - lots of room for plenty of toys and a large wheel (think they call it a "Multi" now - the top bars are closely spaced making it suitable for hammies - got mine from equinecaninefeline with free delivery think it was about £30. We also "extended" a regular cage by adding extra tubes, (ebay) running down to a lidded tub (wilko's) with airholes cut in thus extending the play area's greatly.

I didn't think £65 was that bad for a cage that size. :? I think what you said about it being a phase etc is a good reason why tiny cages shouldn't be sold at all - if parents were put off by the cost of appropriate sized accomodation, they would be less keen to buy 'little Johnny' the hammy in the first place unless they were serious about it.

You should keep your eye out on ebay and freeads etc though, you might find a bargain. Or make your own? ;)

I didn't think £65 was that bad for a cage that size. :? I think what you said about it being a phase etc is a good reason why tiny cages shouldn't be sold at all - if parents were put off by the cost of appropriate sized accomodation, they would be less keen to buy 'little Johnny' the hammy in the first place unless they were serious about it.

You should keep your eye out on ebay and freeads etc though, you might find a bargain. Or make your own? ;)

Sorry...I meant compared to the £20 jobbies, where hammy has no space. I think whilst these small cages are made, it won't put lots of parents off getting little Johnny his hamster. It's true, though, that if they stopped selling the small ones, and kept the large ones at the same price it'd put people off! :D (This is what I meant to say...:roll::roll:...I've never been good with writing down what I mean!)

....I don't think I'm skilled enough with a soldering iron to make a cage myself! :lol::lol::lol:....It'd probably end with me having no fingers left! :shock:!!

I LOVE the look of the "Hagen Big one"...it's mammoth!

Sorry...I meant compared to the £20 jobbies, where hammy has no space. I think whilst these small cages are made, it won't put lots of parents off getting little Johnny his hamster. It's true, though, that if they stopped selling the small ones, and kept the large ones at the same price it'd put people off! :D (This is what I meant to say...:roll::roll:...I've never been good with writing down what I mean!)

Don't worry, I have the same problem. :oops: :lol::lol: Iswym now and, just as with rabbit hutches, it's no wonder the smaller (and therefore cheaper) ones are so popular, sadly. :(

Have you seen the bin cages? I'm sure Rhian has one. They look fairly easy to make.... she says. :? :lol:

:love: :love:

Completly ditto, I'm saving up for a cage at the momment. I saw quite a few people at P@H looking at the smallest cage because it was the cheapest, did my best "discreat" voice when talking to nan....in othwrwords shouting what I thought :lol:

Don't worry, I have the same problem. :oops: :lol::lol: Iswym now and, just as with rabbit hutches, it's no wonder the smaller (and therefore cheaper) ones are so popular, sadly. :(

Have you seen the bin cages? I'm sure Rhian has one. They look fairly easy to make.... she says. :? :lol:

I have seen hers! I prefer the bar ones though. Especially for a Syrian. If I get one, I'll want a cage that will last (I'm sure the HH will.) I forsee many hammies when Lol gets older.....and that's just an excuse for me! :lol::lol: Might as well make a good investment! :D

I managed to convince my local pet shop not to advertise 3ft hutches outside their shop, as it gives people the wrong impression...that it's ok to have one...One down....how many left?!:shock::shock::lol:

Back